Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Four Winds, My Theory about this track< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Platinumpty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 27 2020, 16:41

For me, Four Winds is a standout track on a fairly lacklustre and disappointing album.  My theory behind it is this:

Each of the four sections represents a different "wind", coming from a different direction.  Hence:

1. We begin with the bluesy opening - clearly a wind from the Deep South.
2. At 1:36 we get gently Celtic - the North Wind rolling down from Scandinavia through the northern Scottish Isles
2. At 3:48 we head East, to the Sitar-inflected "eastern" Wind.
4. Finally, at 6:14 until the end we get a bit Morricone, for the Western Wind, of course.

I admit there may be notes to this effect in the CD booklet but I don't have it with me at present (locked-down away from my physical media!;)

Personally I could done with a whole track each of 1 and 4, with 2 and 3 being the weaker tracks.
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 27 2020, 22:24

And we get the tornado/waterspout on the Man in the Rocks artwork as a bonus.  :)  Your interpretation sounds plausible to me, although the standout tracks for me are "Summit Day" and "Out of Mind", There's also a nice video on youtube accompanying "Embers" with astronomical artwork.

Not sure about the album cover of Guitars: Mike looks as though he's checking his personal freshness  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 28 2020, 03:08

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 28 2020, 07:36

The idea of an album using very restricted instrumental forces also reminds me of Household Objects (which likewise followed two very adventurous albums), so the idea is also very Pink Floyd.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: May 28 2020, 14:38

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 28 2020, 19:35

Typical Vaughan Williams mediocrity - it's hard to know why he bothered. Now Janacek was a truly great composer - certainly more imaginative than Bach, Beethoven and Mozart rolled together.

But I suspect the real reason Vaughan Williams was mentioned was to make me think of his Tuba Concerto - and Tuba sounds like TUBULAR!!!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: May 30 2021, 23:11

guitars was a great disappointment - as for nightspore's comment
Mike looks as though he's checking his personal freshness  
perhaps it was aimed at the younger crowd? wot i like above all else is the complexities and counterpoint that elevete so much of MO's music out of the rock/etc genres. for decades nobody has known where to put his records. i've seen them everywhere except classical (but stopped looking on the advent of hiphop, ska etc, when it became unbearable to be in a record shop)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: June 08 2021, 17:27

Beautiful album overall and very nice cover.
I was very happy that they put it out on vinyl, a couple of years ago. Looks and sounds wonderful. Four Winds is great, and exactly the right length. Embers, Summit Day and Enigmatism are highlights too.

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
tonyadams Offline

Posted: July 19 2023, 23:42

I agree with your analysis of Four Winds as a standout track on the album, with each section representing different "winds" from different directions
contexto
Profile PM 
8 replies since May 27 2020, 16:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net