Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield Story, Behind The Scenes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 05 2021, 03:56

Here is a video of some behind the scenes footage of the making of the Mike Oldfield Story from 2013 when Mike was celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Tubular Bells. It shows Mike watching the video of Don Alphonso, and he doesn't seem to impressed!!

Mike Oldfield Story
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2021, 02:36

Mike is the greatest hater of... Mike! :laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2021, 09:58

I am not sure why he was watching it, but even he thinks the track was a joke. I listened to the song today in my car, and although it is a novelty song, it is saved by Mike's guitar playing underpinning it all.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2021, 07:37

"I work for Oxo..."

Yep the lyrics are terrible but the guitar harmonies are so warm, rich and beautiful.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2021, 22:39

I think that's quite a good lyric, actually. The O's and the X are on one level the hugs and kisses, symbolizing the love of bullfighting, while on another level they point to noughts and crosses, the ludic aspect of the duel between human and ruminant.
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: May 10 2021, 10:09

Quote (omgmo @ Jan. 06 2021, 02:36)
Mike is the greatest hater of... Mike! :laugh:

think you hit the nail on the head
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 11 2021, 07:11

I am sure every song writer has at least one song of theirs they are not happy with, for example, Mark Knopfler has stated he doesn't like his song Les Boys, but that is on Making Movies, which is a great album.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 11 2021, 08:00

Apart from "Walk of Life", I've always thought the best thing about Dire Straits was their album covers and titles. "Sultans of Swing" - what a total yawn. Amusingly, if you unscramble the letters of "Knopfler" you get "F plonker"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 12 2021, 04:25

Sultans of Swing a yawn? really? check out the performance from the Alchemy concert and trying to yawn!!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 12 2021, 19:24

"Check out Guitar George/He knows all the chords"
Sparkling lyrics there NOT
Yeccchhh
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 13 2021, 03:02

The lyrics are great because Mark is describing what he saw when he was watching a pub band play to an very small audience, the band were not great but they thought they were, and they announced themselves as being The Sultans of Swing, Mark was almost being a reporter with the song, which is no surprise as he used to be one for a short time in Leeds.

Another thing is Mike has spoken of his liking for Mark as a musician and writer a few times, he said even though he doesn't really listen to other peoples music, he did hear Private Investigations by Dire Straits on the radio and really liked it, plus they has the fact they both played Fender Strats and finger pick electric an acoustic guitar in common, Mike even owns a MK Signature Strat.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 14 2021, 17:38

Quote (nightspore @ May 11 2021, 08:00)
Apart from "Walk of Life", I've always thought the best thing about Dire Straits was their album covers and titles. "Sultans of Swing" - what a total yawn. Amusingly, if you unscramble the letters of "Knopfler" you get "F plonker"  :laugh:

Sultans of Swing has an amazing guitar solo. Absolutely mind-blowingly good.

This comes from someone who's not a Dire Straits fan.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
omgmo Offline

Posted: July 16 2021, 08:19

^Yes, of course it has!!

I like DS, as well as Knopfler, a lot.
It is interesting that they succeeded playing in a somewhat old-fashioned way, at a time when punk was the new thing.They're good.
Profile PM 
12 replies since Jan. 05 2021, 03:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net