Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing, Another masterpiece of rockmusic< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Nezzico Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 01 2013, 16:48

Today Steven Wilson released his new album, and I have no words to express how impressed I'm today. There is so much beauty and complexity in it, and if you start with the first track Luminol, it will be a hard start - because its complexity and its fusion jazz sound its difficult structure bangs around your ears. Only in this one song there are so much ideas and dramatical changes, what shows the genius in Stevens brain.

More beauty comes with the title track, which is the last on this album. If you cant live with Luminol, please have a listen to this gem of a rock ballad - which comes in tradition to those old Alan Parsons songs. That doesnt happens by random, because, Alan Parsons did additional production and engeneering on Stevens record.

And so on ... , there are just 6 songs, with three tracks over 10 minutes and the rest with 5 minutes minimum. This record is a journey between extreme beauty and wild experiments.
Profile PM 
rusinurbe Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2013, 06:12

Totally agree he is at the top of his game musically and with the people around him Alan Parsons engineering a great tounch. Supurb 5.1 mix as well.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 02 2013, 07:25

Luminol, amazing opening track.. love that amazing bass..
Love this part when they sing: "Here we all are born into a struggle To come so far but end up returning to dust".
Lots of highlights in this track indeed..
hes been choosing great band to play along..

Drive Home is the closest thing to Pink Floyd shivers goosebumbs guitar solo thing i ever heard.. this guitar is almost crying with amazing emotions.. Lovely song.. beautiful ballad..

The Holy Drinker.. another masterpiece of complex work.. messy start goes wild.. into a amazing dark piece of work.. to bad my english cant express everything.. what ey sound! love the howling wolfs "poison arrows" that comes in at the end.. fav part in this song is 6:13.. lost for words :O quite dark stuff parts also appears.. its like running out of a woods, running from hungry wolfs..

Pin Drop, speaking of pink floyd... if you love Pink Floyd you problamy would love this one. Love the pain,agony-feeling he sing with. Sounds like a new track for Sweeney Todd, Tim Burton movie. Lovely..

The Watchmaker.. stunning track.. beautiful opening.. a brilliant piece of work.. so sad.. somehow this song is very close to the sound of Storm Corrosion.. his work with Mikael (front singer of Opeth) and i loved that album..
Easy start fading into a groovy floydish wish you were here great 70's style..

Raven that refuses to sing..
omg i love it.. its so beautiful sad.. my fav track problamy..
you can watch the video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sLcvWG1M4

Steven Wilson did it again.. thats for sure..
all i miss is Lasse Hoiles work.. im a great great fan of this photographer.. but Hajo Mueller's work fits beautiful aswell..
amazing art it is indeed.

full star album from me..
looking forward to see him live in Oslo :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2013, 08:00

I've already over budget for this month :/ , but this is definitely one to explore when solvency is an issue again.  Meanwhile, in one of those nice little coincidences, here's an interview with Steven Wilson,
http://innerviews.org/inner/wilson2.html

and here's a hint of something else to come from this interviewer...
https://twitter.com/innerviews

Innerviews‏@Innerviews

Just conducted an interview with Mike Oldfield, which I've been trying to make happen for decades. A wonderful, in-depth conversation

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2013, 19:43

This album is absolutely amazing. Tubularman--I had the same comment about Luminol--love that bass line--and the lyrics are haunting..."returning to dust" indeed. We are chased by our mortality. I heard early Genesis in places on the album (especially Supper's Ready), Rush's YYZ, and maybe even Cradle of Filth, but actually now that I think of it, maybe it's more Opeth.  Steven discusses each track here. Nice pictures, too.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2013, 03:58

Listened to it, Sounds a Bit old School to me..  One of those it either rocks your Boat or doesn't as the Case may be..

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2013, 12:29

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 02 2013, 07:25)
Raven that refuses to sing..
omg i love it.. its so beautiful sad.. my fav track problamy..
you can watch the video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8sLcvWG1M4

Wow, I've just watched this for the second time...I saw it a few days ago and can't get the images and music out of my head....sooooo moving...I love it but I know I can't listen to too much of it, need to be in the right frame of mind.  It is a bit old school as you say 3Wheeler, but powerful stuff nonetheless, strikes a chord kind of thing. I will seek some more as time goes by no doubt. I just need a bit of cheerfulness at the moment!

...talking of such ...listen to this...

Gypsyfingers

I ordered this a few weeks ago, and cannot stop playing it...every track on the Ep is fab...beautiful voices, both, complementing each other, and clever lyrics too...People here on Tubular.net probably know about this already, but I've only just discovered it.  Luke has a great voice...and guitar playing, well what can I say!.... the whole Ep is really uplifting and perfect to listen to at the end of a long day. Peaceful and beautiful.

And another beautiful thing is Molly's book!! The Secret Museum It's superb, so very interesting.  She must really have loved collecting all that information from around the world! It shows! It's lovely to look at too just as a thing in itself! The illustrations really bring it to life.  I'm pushed for time at the moment so haven't been able to read much inside, I'm saving it for when I can really give it the time it deserves...it's sitting on my shelf near my desk waiting!

When I read this first Cavalier..."Just conducted an interview with Mike Oldfield, which I've been trying to make happen for decades. A wonderful, in-depth conversation"... I thought you had done the interview! But now I see it was someone else...so we wait and see... :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2013, 23:48

Oh that would go well, bee!  "So Mike... ah, thanks for agreeing to speak to me.  Erm... well, erm... uh...  what to ask you...?  Oh - got one!  Why oh why oh why did you write T..."

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2013, 09:20

I have just completed a solo piano trasncription of his beautiful piece  - It works eally well for piano :)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 11 2013, 12:34

Steven is going to be playing less than three hours from my house next month--and with Opeth!! I think it's going to be an amazing concert! There is also a nice interview about his new work here.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2014, 01:54

Steven Wilsons next studio project is coming soon. Release on 15th February 2015. On youtube are two interesting videos about this:

http://youtu.be/dlHxl5Q3pIA

http://youtu.be/49HxZ8yVpqk
Profile PM 
10 replies since Mar. 01 2013, 16:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net