Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Vol.4, What a mess up!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 06 2003, 12:17

I tried to find Tubular Bells 2003 on Amazon.co.uk to pre-order it but it was not found. So I did a search for all Tubular Bells CDs and there was a couple of entries for Tubular Bells Vol.4 which is for pre-order - I guess this refers to TB2003.

They obviously see it as volume 4 in the Tubular Bells series and it hasn't sunk in yet that this is a re-recording of the original. This shows Warner is totally failing to get it across to all what TB2003 is all about. I think this will be big non-event!

Anyway ,I ended up pre-odernig Tubular Bells Vol.4 BOX - 3Cds for only just over 20 quid (with my Amazon discount). I don't have the original TBII and III cds (only CDR versions) so it's worth it for me. The DVD included doesn't seem to be much and i'm not sure if it's for DVD player or DVD-ROM!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 07 2003, 09:38

Maybe it *is* Warner's fault.

Or maybe people are just dumb anyway. ;)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Mooncat
Unregistered

Posted: May 07 2003, 18:35

Hey, look at this then !!
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000096H35.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It really does say IV....  :O
Cheers,
Mooncat
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: May 07 2003, 19:07

whoa, someone making a fool of us or something new??

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Down Under
Unregistered

Posted: May 07 2003, 21:09

Naaaa.  Let's be positive.  We get TB 2003 AND TBIV - 2 new albums at once, right?!?!?  As if, heh, heh, heh.  OK, at least we can dream about it. :zzz:  ;)  :D
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Posted: May 08 2003, 07:13

Not fair! I'm currently making TBIV! The bastards! Can I sue them now? :D

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: May 08 2003, 07:32

What on Earth is that cover supposed to be from - there is no TBIV!

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: May 08 2003, 09:05

Don't worry, it's a fanmade album cover. There were a few of them all similar on a certain website I can't remember now. It's not official.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: May 08 2003, 11:06

It was at http://www.oldfield.de, I assume - see http://www.oldfield.de/der_vogelmann.htm .
They were made by a professional designer who even sent them to Mike, but obviously not accepted.
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: May 08 2003, 22:04

Wow, wasn't aware of that. They aren't bad, either.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: May 09 2003, 04:58

That was pretty neat... I wouldn't mindif he used that cover, with the IV that is.
Profile PM WEB 
Fingers Offline

Posted: May 09 2003, 12:16

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000096H35/qid=1052496575/sr=1-10/ref=sr_1_3_10/026-9899622-5456434
Is the box set pre order... 3cd?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec....5456434
Is the CD pre-order.... 1cd

Images are the correct album cover. TB2003....
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 10 2003, 04:07

Originally Amazon.co.uk was using the fan-made TBIV for the box version cover. Now they have the TB2003 cover there. Don't know what happened there! They still haven't changed the title to TB2003 and still have Vol.4 there! Wierd! :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 10 2003, 15:53

They don't know it's the original TB re-recorded. If big companies like that don't know, not many other people will know either. What lousy promo-ing lol.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 12 2003, 16:09

You don't know the half of it...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: May 12 2003, 16:37

So who's fault is it then? Mike's manager or team? WEA? Who knows? What's interesting is that for a MO release things are quite amazingly quiet. I know for us fans it's because we've essentially heard this album already, certainaly if you compare things to this time last year and the huge wave of excitement surrounding TresLunas, but you'd think WEA would be milking this this rerecording for all its worth in terms of promotion.

Last night I took out my lovely 25th aniversary remastered TB and sat and listened to it whilst reading the fantastic 'Making of TB' book. Now I don't want to get into another argument about the why's and whynots of TB2003 but I will just say one thing. First we had TB then we had the orchestral TB and then the Quad mix TB then we had the live TB then after a gap we had TB2 and then TB3 then of course the 25th aniversary TB followed by the SACD TB and now finaly to cap it all we have TB2003. You do have to ask 'at what point was any of this not enough for Mike? Because thats what everybody in the music buisness is thinking and thats why this record is largely being ignored. Q magazine summed up they're review of TB2 in 1992 by simply saying 'wasn't the first TB enough? That certainaly somes things up now.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 14 2003, 08:34

I see they got the proper cover art for the TB2003 box set for amazon.de. http://www.amazon.de/exec....0257315

They've also put up the option to buy TB2003 with the TB2003 box set :). What's the point of that??

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 14 2003, 08:46

Well, finally amazon.co.uk have got the right titles now! TB2003 and TB2003 boxed with the proper cover art. Well done!!! :D

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 20 2003, 23:15

Yes! Amazon.co.uk have finally arrived!!! All entries for TB2003 are now correct.

Have you noticed that the boxed set is selling very well? When I just checked it is 28 on the Amazon.co.uk sales chart. TB2003 on its own without DVD is abot 1200!!! People seem to be going more for the box set (like I have) ;)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Dave Parry
Unregistered

Posted: May 21 2003, 09:37

I'm going to scoot along to HMV on the 27th and get it there.  I wonder if there'll be a queue of people buying TB2003?
21 replies since May 06 2003, 12:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net