Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A review at HighFidelity< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 14:20

Stuart M. Robinson has published an extensive review of the Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A on HighFidelityReview.com.

No, HighFidelityReview.com is not the new official Mike Oldfield news service... ;-)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 15:55

The TB demos sound like they are going to be very interesting, can't wait to hear them, I didn't expect them to be so long. Very interesting review, sounds honest, its a pity they've managed to cock up the 5.1 mix so badly. I disagree with his observations about Pepsi singing Shadow on the Wall, I always thought fans were in complete agreement that her soulful rendition was far superior to Roger Chapmans bombastic over the topness, I certainly thought so anyway. It's interesting that the reviewer has also taken on board many of the critical points made by us recently regarding the content (or lack of) of that box set, hopefully Mike will take these points onboard if he reads them.
Profile PM 
fizzicato Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 16:20

:) GOOD FOR THE 42 MINUTES OF MIKE´S DEMOS... I CAN´T WAITTTTT!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 22:15

Really dissapointing regarding sound quality. TB2003 CD was of mediocre sound quality to begin with!!! It's too bad there wasn't more care taken to make this a serious release. There have been some great surround sound release on SACD and DVD-A in the past couple years (Dark Side of the Moon, James Taylor's Hourglass, Peter Gabriel's Up) and I was hoping this would be one of them. Having sounds "dance" around the room never works because of the diversity of room shapes, speaker placement and speaker quality. Plus it sounds gimicky. The mixer should know this!!! Also, did they reduce the DVD-A sound resolution for the bonus materials? I could have done without samples from TBII and TBIII.

No doubt, the original demo tapes should be great. I was just hoping that TB2003 DVD-A, like his original vinyl could be another audiophile benchmark. Unfortunate, to say the least.
Profile PM 
James
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 13 2003, 22:50

Oh me Oh my,

It sounds like a wasted opportunity with all the over the top panning.Mr Darlows fault no Mike should never have let this pass or did he have his hand on the joystik.Perhaps it was his wish to have it like this (umm worrying perhaps!;).Lets hope Ommadawn is not ruined in this sense its so amateur.

Oh well the Demo tapes make this a must buy for most fans Im looking forward to this aspect of it.
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2003, 05:14

Well - I loved the sound on TB 2003 but from what I heard on the demo disc that was in the TB boxset of the 5.1 mixes, I think I aree about the surround mix not being as good as it could have been.

About Shadow on the Wall - I actually like both versions. The original is far more powerful and perfect - but it's a studio recording. Pepsi's version, although at times she seems to have trouble getting some notes (the song was not made for a female vocal, don't forget that), does add enourmously to the fun factor, though. Her enthusiasm really makes it great to listen to.
Profile PM 
Mariano
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 14 2003, 16:19

Mike, will you include the original "broken version" of "Ommadawn" on the next DVD as an extra?
 Anybody else thinks that´s a good idea?
Duncan Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2003, 17:19

Man In The Rain - have you heard this disc, or are you merely obsessed by the idea that the sampling rate is "only" 48khz rather than 96?

I'll be waiting for the disc to make any comments.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2003, 17:03

Quote (Guest @ Oct. 14 2003, 16:19)
Mike, will you include the original "broken version" of "Ommadawn" on the next DVD as an extra?

Broken version, what do you mean with that? :O
Profile PM 
Mariano
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 16 2003, 17:53

The first time that Mike recorded "Ommadawn" The tape crashed and he had to start again. You can hear some bits on "Reflections" documentary.
Mariano
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 16 2003, 18:01

Anda, si eres Spinne y no me había dado cuenta...Bueno, el caso es que se le rayó la cinta de tanto rebobinarla y "tuvo"(no tubo) que empezar otra vez desde el principio.En el documental "Reflections" vienen unos fragmentos y son buenísimos, totalmente distintos, más "tristones"otra velocidad...
James
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 16 2003, 21:09

Mariano
Where can one find this documentary is it on the net please include a link if you know of any .
Thanks
Rance
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 13:03

TB2003? The 5:1 mixes on the DVD are a bit all over the place. The CD is good - perhaps a bit too polished - but choosing John Cleese as a replacement for the late Viv Stanshall is a disaster!

Viv's voice was just perfect, a sort of nonchallant, slightly bored tone, which drifted in every so often, sounding like it had been recorded in a tin shitehouse! Should have kept it!
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 14:10

Duncan,

I am merely obsessed by the idea that the sampling rate is "only" 48khz rather than 96!!!

The DVD-A should be about quality and not quantity (i.e. video clips. Video takes up a lot of space!;).  

No doubt, if the release was done in 96, it would be a vast improvement over 48khz. That's all I'm saying. I was hoping Warner Music Group and Mike (if he even has a say) would be wiser.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 15:02

It's Mike and not Warner this time - as far as I know, he still uses older 48kHz Pro Tools hardware, as opposed to the newer 192kHz capable HD system. This is the hardware on which he makes his initial recordings, so he probably felt that converting to 96kHz after that wasn't worth it (and in any case, I believe it's not the only part of his studio limited to 48kHz operation). Mike feels that there's not much point to extended sampling rates, as you'd have to be a bat to hear the difference (not quite true, it increases the accuracy of reproduction of audible high frequencies as well as just extending the range of reproducible frequencies, but let's not dwell on that...), so he may not be rushing to upgrade...

I don't really think that a 96kHz release would be a vast improvement over 48kHz - I'd be more inclined to describe it as a subtle improvement, but I agree that the aim should be for the optimum reproduction of the original master.
I think that more of a point for concern is the lack of subtlety in the mix and indeed that, despite all the compression, the recording doesn't manage to use the full 24 bits of available resolution.

But still, we get the demos, and we get a disc that isn't corrupted and won't make your player blow up...it almost feels like progress is being made :O
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2003, 19:45

if he now included the video recordings of the Queen Elizabeth Hall performance of 1973, and some other rare footage, I would have been happy. *sigh*

(instead of tb2 and tb3 concert extracts)

(and it looks like I have become a satanic member... :O )

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
crises83
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 21 2003, 04:26

Does anyone know something about the price of this edition??

The Japanese 3DVD Boxed edition is 9400Y!!! What about UK or Spanish editions?
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2003, 08:08

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Oct. 17 2003, 20:45)
if he now included the video recordings of the Queen Elizabeth Hall performance of 1973, and some other rare footage, I would have been happy. *sigh*

I do agree.
The same old stuff sucks!!!!!

Rarieties please!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Atreus
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 21 2003, 14:45

>do agree.
>The same old stuff sucks!!!!!

>Rarieties please!!!

Yes it would be great... and i agree: the same old stuff sucks a lot. But rarities like this cannot be published by WEA-the bitchhouse, i think
But still there´s hope... because Virgin would be a little clever striking back with a great DVD Edition with concerts (knebworth, Queen Elizabeth Hall, some...) and/or some valuable rarities, don´t you think?

WebGroup - The Lord of the Bells
EquinoX
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 23 2003, 15:27

I don't think Virgin still remembers that it has the copyrights to publish MO.
20 replies since Oct. 13 2003, 14:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net