Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony, Mike takes his rightful place.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Chris Ibberson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 27 2012, 16:46

After all the hype, here at last is the opening ceremony for our Olympics.  At 21:34 hrs, Mr Mike Oldfield took centre stage surrounded by Nurses and representatives of Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital. There could only be one choice of music to present Mike to the Whole World.... a minute or so of Tubular Bells.

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
J1Star Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 18:24

I was very impressed. I thought maybe they might play one of his tunes or something but no... a full medley of wonderful music amazingly performed by Mikey and his crew. I am just so happy. Couldn't have asked for better.
Profile PM 
Dave_Block Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 18:58

Hope you had an uninterrupted performance... Here in Toronto Canada the two local bone-head TV announcers chose Mike's segment to begin their mindless yapping. At one point they decided to explain who this J. K. Rowling person was!
ARRRRRGGGG! Time to put the headphones on a crank up Hergest Ridge (2010) and go to my happy place. Rant over. Aside from the bonehead report at our end, the entire opening was absolutely amazing and quite moving. Wonder if it will ever be available commercially on DVD? Wishful thinking on my part I suppose.
Cheers, Dave
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 19:40

Seems that Luke Oldfield was playing with his Dad there!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 19:55

i forgot to watch ceremony did someone record it? id like to see MO parts shared in decent quality because 2 clips i found from youtube are crap...comeon technology these days and you see youtube videos comparable to worst vhs quality and sound from 100 years back lol

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 27 2012, 20:02

Just saw the replay down here in Oz and yes they talked over most of it here too.

But at least it was mainly about Mike and the success of TB.

Great performance and Mike looked great  :)
Profile PM 

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:07

Nice review of MO @ Olympics:

http://hangout.altsounds.com/news....ny.html

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:21

Full interview in this weekend's SUNDAY TELEGRAPH -

My Webpage
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:23

What impressed me most was the way TB was adapted to be scary, safe, childlike  ne fit the visuals so well. Mr Boyle did well and What a huge showcase for Mike!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
rimbaud65 Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:24

It was great to see Mike at such a prominent occasion at the opening ceremony. Tubular Bells there.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:45

Totally stoked to see Mike so prominent in front of a worldwide audience. Hope to see more from him on the back of this.
Profile PM 
Sawney Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:58

I have followed  the "Progect of a lifetime" thread, but never did i believe that mike would hold centre stage at the olympics for 15 - 20 mins...and what an awesome job he did.

Well done mike...did us all proud!
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 20:59

Yes, very impressed with Danny Boyle's extravaganza and MO's part in it, living up to the "project of a lifetime" hype.  After all, could there be a bigger audience for a live performance (did it beat Live Aid does anyone know?)

Interesting to hear TBIII in the mix too as well as TB (dig the swing rendition!;) and In Dulci Jubilo.  Hope Mike caught the live bug again.
Profile PM WEB 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 22:25

I pretty much near lost my mind when I started hearing the opening strains of TB as I was watching.  I was not expecting to see a surprise live appearance by Mike.  I promptly moved to three inches away from the screen and turned the sound dial to rock-the-floor loud.  Sure was nice to see him on stage again.
Profile PM 
Mirage Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 00:12

Wow! Mike was awesome! I had no idea he was slated to perform, so imagine my surprise when he took the stage. An absolutely awesome job Mike. Maybe this will help his popularity here in the USA?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 01:59

Well that was pretty Awesome..  Much more than expected.
The Whole Ceremony in Fact was Fabulous,,
A very British Affair indeed... Great Humorous set pieces ...
Half expecting at one point Branson to Land in the Stadium in one of his Balloons and Light the Torch...  
I guess One of the Cameras took Complete footage of Mikes Performance ..  A DVD is Bound to be Released I guess.. Maybe it will have features on it to enable this..   Hopefully  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 03:38

Well, that was a nice surprise! I only watched the ceremony out of morbid curiosity, and was thrilled when they introduced Mike. An interesting mash up, and some great "rock faces" from the man himself! The only possible down-side is that they will now probably release ANOTHER bloody version of TB...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 28 2012, 04:18

It was marvellous to see him so prominently and proudly presented, and playing such a generous slice of his music. Many congratulations and thanks to Mike. So very heartwarming, so very deserved.
Profile PM 

Posted: July 28 2012, 04:22

From Universal's page about the Isles of Wonder Soundtrack:

...an inspired accompaniment to the army of NHS nurses and children from Great Ormond Street Hospital by Mike Oldfield. His live reworking of the classic ‘Tubular Bells’ and ‘In Dulci Jubilo’ - also his first live UK performance in 13 years - was yet another uniquely British showstopper.

http://umusic.co.uk/umusic-blog/islesofwonder

And then you've got some online ads for Two Sides!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 28 2012, 04:58

As someone who recently started working part-time for the NHS, I'm not sure how I could have been more pleased with that really :)
Profile PM 
67 replies since July 27 2012, 16:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net