Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Beats remix album in February 2013< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 19 2012, 17:21

Tubular Beats, a new album of remixes of some of Mike's tracks by Mike and York (Torsten Stenzel) is scheduled for release on February 1st 2013. Unlike with previous club mixes, the album is a true two-sided collaboration between Mike and Torsten, making use of parts from the original multitrack tapes as well as new parts played by Mike. It also features Tarja Turunen on the track 'Never Too far'.

The tracklisting is:

1. Let There Be Light (York Remix)
2. Far Above the Clouds (York Remix)
3. Ommadawn (Mike Oldfield & York Remix)
4. Guilty (Mike Oldfield & York Remix)
5. Tubular Bells (Mike Oldfield & York Remix)
6. To France (Radio Remix)
7. Northstar (Mike Oldfield & York Remix)
8. Moonlight Shadow (Radio Remix)
9. Guilty (York & Mike's Electrofunk Mix)
10. Tubular Bells 2 (Mike Oldfield & York Remix)
11. Never Too Far (featuring Tarja Turunen)

We also have a preview of the cover for you:

The album will be released by Edel in Germany and through other partners, but it won't released in the UK initially (that decision will come down to Mercury/Universal).

It can be pre-ordered from JPC and amazon.de

Update December 23rd - there are now some short samples available to listen to on amazon.de Thanks, stpaul
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 19 2012, 17:57

I'm definitely looking forward to this release, but the artwork is again dissapointing.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2012, 18:08

The release of "guilty" a while back makes me happy for this. I'm getting more and more into the beat... :)
;)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 00:12

Happy to see its a true Collaboration here...Sounds interesting.
Looks these days like Mikes truly back to making music...Thanks for getting him off the Sea Dragon Fanny :laugh:
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 10:02

Oh, well. I'll by it in any case and it will be interesting at least and hopefully enjoyable as well.

I'm sure it will be better than "Tubular Vibes" for sure!  :laugh:

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 10:33

That Ommadawn remix...I'd love to hear that!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nickko Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 10:52

It sounds interesting, a true collaboration, legendary songs included, and the presence of a famous and talented singer with Tarja Turunen. It promises for the future and the new album !
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 13:55

Well if the remixes on the remastered series are anything to go by then this could be very good. Not to mention that I loved the recent York/Oldfield collaboration 'Islanders'. The title and sleeve though are hugely disappointing. I love Tubular Bells, we all do, but I didn't want to see yet another sleeve flogging that particular dead horse. Not for my sake but for the sake of all those confused music lovers just getting into Oldfield who don't know the territory. Once my eyes are closed and my headphones are on I won't care about the title and sleeve.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 14:50

The sleeve is predicable but good looking in a minimalist kind of way. I'm afraid the music won't be my cup of tea though...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2012, 16:15

Oh, no. Can't believe the title and the cover.

Serious.  :/

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Nov. 21 2012, 05:48

looking forward to the Far above the clouds and ommadawn mix.. i think they will be great! the cover is nothing special..i dont think either, but i dont think QE2 has the best cover, but i love the music.. same with Vangelis's Direct album.. horrible cover but music great.. i love Yorks stuff.. so i trust him.   :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2012, 08:05

QE2 cover is brilliant: minimalistic, simple and... original!!!

Sure there could be other possibilities for the design, cover and title. I think it must be brilliant tho' about the music. The theme 'Highlanders' was very fine.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2012, 08:09

Tubular Bells, TB 2, TB 3, TB 2003, even The Millennium Bell were critizised by people that don't know or appreciate Mike's music. But they are wonderful creative variations of a really specific musical idea.

However, this ends making those people right. As sad as i feel it to be.

--------------
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2012, 03:29

I see York has written songs with Chris Rea, so he clearly likes guitar players, so this hook up with Mike might be ok.
Profile PM 
Nezzico Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2012, 07:34

Looking foward to it :-)  

I bought the whole Islanders Album and i like it as chillout music. York works many times with nice guitar parts above his electronic layers. The album is a longplayer, and contains many different kinds of musical ideas, no track sounds like another.

I dont know his work as a remix musician, but for so long i think Mike has done a well choice for this kind of project.

The track selection for the beats album sounds not too bad. A completely new and hopefully better remix of Northstar could sound really great. And "Let there be light" .... wow i hope for some totaly chilled stuff.

One important aspect , is the question, how much Mike was really involved in the whole thing. It would be great, if he has recorded additional guitar parts for it. Are there more new vocal parts? Maybe they used different recorded material, than that what we know from the original albums. All these possibilities make the whole thing a bit more exciting for me.

But we know Mike well enough, and so i try to be carefull with my hopes. For the case, that this project is more dissappointing we have hopefully next year another joker  :p with a really new studio album, which should be a totally different thing.

Cant believe that we now, after all these years of Bahama silence, have now the situation, that we could await two new albums with the name Mike Oldfield on the cover. Wooooow!!!! :)  :)  :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 25 2012, 05:04

Quote (Delfín @ Nov. 21 2012, 08:09)
Tubular Bells, TB 2, TB 3, TB 2003, even The Millennium Bell were critizised by people that don't know or appreciate Mike's music. But they are wonderful creative variations of a really specific musical idea.

However, this ends making those people right. As sad as i feel it to be.

Well, in the case of the The Millenium Bell I think it was much critizised by people who know and appreciate Mike's music. I doubt few others ever got to hear it.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 12:46

I would love to see Boards of Canada remix some of Oldfield's work.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 12:59

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Nov. 27 2012, 18:46)
I would love to see Boards of Canada remix some of Oldfield's work.

:O are you serious ? ... well i would like too !!!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 15:51

Quote (Nezzico @ Nov. 24 2012, 11:34)
One important aspect , is the question, how much Mike was really involved in the whole thing. It would be great, if he has recorded additional guitar parts for it.

I'm sure there'll be more from Mike and Torsten soon about this, but I can give at least a bit of background on the whole thing, because Torsten was quite keen to explain it to me.

Torsten had originally wanted to get Mike to guest on one of his tracks (which is the path that led to Islanders). One of his contacts in Berlin mentioned that Mike was living in the Bahamas and suggested he should go and visit. The pair of them hit it off and, at some point, Mike revealed that he'd always wanted to work with someone on some club mixes where he could have more creative control and where more of his original ideas would be used (as opposed to the approach of some remixers where they keep one tiny little part and build up a totally unrelated track out of it).

So, according to Torsten, Mike's been involved very closely - including playing some new guitar parts. There's a slightly sad story behind some of that, as Let There Be Light needed new guitar parts because the original multitrack tape has been lost (anyone who'd been hoping for a 5.1 remix of The Songs of Distant Earth at some point is unfortunately out of luck). I get the sense that the Torsten's been a big driving force behind the project (partly the reason why it's not being released on Mercury/Universal - he persuaded them to license the rights to him), but Mike is definitely across everything and has done more than just hand over the master tapes and say "Here you go, have fun".

The proof is ultimately in the pudding, of course!
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2012, 16:03

Sounds far more promising ! Thanks Korgscrew  :)
Profile PM 
68 replies since Nov. 19 2012, 17:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net