Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Do you like the cover??, I think it's great< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 05 2019, 16:48

The cover of this album is fantastic. I think there's a bit of nostalgia because obviously Mike lives now in a warm place, but the coldness of the cover reminds him of his past.

What do you think about it???

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
shenry Online

Posted: Mar. 05 2019, 18:01

You know what, it took me a while to come around to it, but now I love it. Definitely up there with Five Miles Out and Crisis, as in just a really neat and striking design. Looks great on the vinyl LP cover.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2019, 03:26

As I've suggested before, there's a narrative in that cover; and it's the only Mike Oldfield album, apart from The Songs of Distant Earth, that has a human figure not Mike himself. The title "Return to Ommadawn" can also be read as an imperative rather than an indicative; that is, the dragon may be telling the warrior: "Return to Ommadawn!". At the very least it confirms that the subject matter of the album, and, by extension, that of Ommadawn itself, is otherworldly.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2019, 08:41

I have always like this cover, I feel it would have been to obvious for Mike to do a cover like the original Ommadawn, so I am glad he did this cover.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2019, 03:19

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 06 2019, 03:26)
As I've suggested before, there's a narrative in that cover; and it's the only Mike Oldfield album, apart from The Songs of Distant Earth, that has a human figure not Mike himself.

I don't think that's Mike on the Crises cover, which incidentally also says a lot of words, to name a few: the watcher and the tower; a mystical sea; a shadow on the wall; a moonlight shadow and of course the Sea of Crises.

Possibly my favourite Mike cover. FMO painting is pretty awesome too tho.

RTO not so hot.
Profile PM 
Lancelot Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2019, 20:56

I don't like it at all, personally I think it is one of Mike's worst covers. Somehow this Lord of the Rings type fantasy setting makes everything so banal... I prefer much more the abstract covers.
Once I saw on Facebook a fan-made cover for RTO, which depicted the aged Mike (from back) glaring out of a window into a rainy garden. It was an inside-out representation of the original Ommadawn cover, with the same melancholic mood, and was also perfectly suited for the line "I rather be here"...
Now that was a genius concept...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2019, 07:40

Quote (Lancelot @ Mar. 26 2019, 20:56)
Lord of the Rings type fantasy

I notice you didn't say Arthurian fantasy, LANCELOT  :laugh:

Kali burn!!!
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2019, 09:35

:laugh:
Profile PM 
Lancelot Offline

Posted: April 01 2019, 12:40

I notice you didn't say Arthurian fantasy, LANCELOT

Good point Nightspore! :)  

But I would't like an Arthurian fantasy either... Even beloved Edward Burne-Jones' paintings would't fit (which are much more artistic...)    

Personally I prefer if the illustrator doesn't try to force Mike's (or anybody else) music into some kind of a narrative frame... being it fantasy or non-fantasy....
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: April 01 2019, 23:14

Presumably Mike chose the illustration himself - presumably on the basis that it reflected what he wanted the music "to be about", just as the Pastoral Symphony is "about" thunderstorms and peasants boogieing on down.  :laugh:  So it seems safe to assume that the story of returning to the Mad Dawn of humanity involves a conversation between a dragon and a warrior.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: April 03 2019, 08:15

that could be stretching it  :D
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 19 2019, 19:09

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Mar. 06 2019, 13:41)
I feel it would have been to obvious for Mike to do a cover like the original Ommadawn,

There's the cover of Amarok (Mike, looking out of a rain-covered window)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 19 2019, 20:00

How odd that I never noticed the window was rain-covered. I suppose it fits in with the "man in the rain" theme. As for the cover of Ommadawn it always seems to me that Mike is underwater, looking out through strands of kelp.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 24 2019, 20:04

It's good to know the warrior made it to the dragon after crossing the golden void:

Profile PM 
13 replies since Mar. 05 2019, 16:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net