[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Why?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moonwatcher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 04:41

Hello everyone!

I think that there's a thing worse than playback in Berlin 2k.
Mike isn't well in my oppinion, I mean, he seems to be sick or ill. When I bought the DVD I went right back home just to see it and I were very sad because of the lot of mistakes (and not under the weather hehehe) that he made.

Tubular Bells, my god... not only this pedal error in the beginning, even the sound isn't as good as expected, and what can I say about Portsmouth... I like Mike's improvisations but that's a crime!!. The rest of the songs are better but not as far as i thought when I heard about the concert. There's a big doubt... WHERE'S THE "LIBERATION" SOLO?...

In other kind of things, Pepsi and the black girl make playback, ok, but as a classical musician and singer (I play violin since a lot of years and I also sing as a baritone...) I think that there are more noticeable the playback in the orchestra and choir. Simply pathetic...

Remember that Mike has got lazy since 1994 (TSODE) and he's getting old, but this is not a reason to declive as he does... Hope to hear again this talented Mike of Knebworth, Viareggio, Crises premiere, etc etc...

And the most important of all... I don't pretend to offend anybody with this post... It's only my oppinion...

Moonwatcher.

--------------
Sondela uSomandla sukuma wena obengezela!! ;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 07:59

Quote (Moonwatcher @ Jan. 26 2004, 04:41)
Remember that Mike has got lazy since 1994 (TSODE)

Hm... while I'd agree that Mike has gotten 'lazy' in recent years (that is, he's not putting as much effort into his work as he used to, though still more than the average artist), I wouldn't exactly name TSODE as the starting point of that development. While I'm not the biggest fan of that album, it certainly doesn't sound 'lazy' to me, on the contrary, very well thought out and executed. Just because he did it mostly with sequencers doesn't mean he was lazy, I believe that in this case the sequencers really fit the mood of the album.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 09:22

Quote (Moonwatcher @ Jan. 26 2004, 09:41)
Mike isn't well in my oppinion, I mean, he seems to be sick or ill.

He was that night - he had flu, hence the fact he looks rather worse for wear. I don't think that's quite what you were getting at though...
Profile PM 
Moonwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 09:39

Holger, I meant that TSODE is the separation album, I think that that declieve starts with Voyager

:D

Moonwatcher.

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 14:48

OK  :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2004, 15:06

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 26 2004, 10:22)
Quote (Moonwatcher @ Jan. 26 2004, 09:41)
Mike isn't well in my oppinion, I mean, he seems to be sick or ill.

He was that night - he had flu, hence the fact he looks rather worse for wear. I don't think that's quite what you were getting at though...

Poor Mike... :/
Playing when you´ve got a flu is sooo bad!

The fact is,in terms of outfit,green with purple wasn´t that choice really,those boots to make him feel a bit taller...no comments at all(female´s comments mode)

Well,it something we have discussed before - Mike is not more into guitar playing training mode when he´s not working on a new album and/or tour.

The playback on MB live was terrible,especially Ms.Pepsi...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Moonwatcher Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2004, 04:28

Not only Ms Pepsi, Tati..., even the trumpets on Mastermind... pfff... For me the best in that concert, was the feeling of some musicians (Jody at percussion, Miriam Stockley and David Serame on vocals, and the keyb/guitarist woman with glasses (dunno her name, sorry :/  ).

Anyway, I also know how Mike could have felt playing with flu 'cos I've done it in a couple of concerts of my band and that's ok... he looked like ill (as I said before in another message).

Moonwatcher.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2004, 08:17

Quote (Moonwatcher @ Jan. 27 2004, 05:28)
Not only Ms Pepsi, Tati..., even the trumpets on Mastermind... pfff... For me the best in that concert, was the feeling of some musicians (Jody at percussion, Miriam Stockley and David Serame on vocals, and the keyb/guitarist woman with glasses (dunno her name, sorry :/  ).

Anyway, I also know how Mike could have felt playing with flu 'cos I've done it in a couple of concerts of my band and that's ok... he looked like ill (as I said before in another message).

Moonwatcher.

Mike once said that the orchestra was on playback mode.

About being ill,well,maybe Mike's mood when playing with flu is not that good at all.I've also had the same experience once,but mine was dreadful.It depends on your body's response regarding to the flu.I can't stand my nose when I'm with flu,it's too bad,need constant medicine to breathe...

Well,everybody noticed that Mike looked bad on MB...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
peterthegreat
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 30 2004, 09:08

id have to agree
plzkthx
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2004, 09:50

Hadn't noticed this thread before, but I'm glad it's popped up again.

I can't understand this talk of some kind of decline. Regardless of any mistakes, I think this show is simply awesome. If I were allowed to take only three albums with me of Mike's live shows (or indeed by anyartist) to a desert island, this would be unhesitatingly my first choice. It would give me hope.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2004, 00:08

No way was Mike in any sort of decline during this concert, certainly as far as his guitar playing is concerned. For me, this version of Tubular Bells is the definitive version of the famous piano intro, and that soaring solo is just wonderful. Frankly, I can't hear any reason to say the sound quality is anything less than perfect, and any mistakes that he had made certainly didn't distract from the performance (I couldn't notice even one).

I'm not a big fan of the Millennium Bell songs, but this DVD is worth it for Tubular Bells and the Art in Heaven track, which is probably my all time favourite of Mike's guitar solos. Whether he's declined in his writing of music or not is up to your personal taste, but he has not declined in his musicianship or guitar playing ability. I say he's never played better.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2004, 05:41

Quote (raven4x4x @ Dec. 31 2004, 05:08)
this DVD is worth it for Tubular Bells and the Art in Heaven track, which is probably my all time favourite of Mike's guitar solos.

Hell, yes... I mean.... every time I listen - it's a kind of transformation of consciousness onto another plane. No one can play guitar like he does on that track.
Profile PM 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 19:52

Quote (Alan D @ Dec. 31 2004, 05:41)
this DVD is worth it for Tubular Bells and the Art in Heaven track, which is probably my all time favourite of Mike's guitar solos.

Hell, yes... I mean.... every time I listen - it's a kind of transformation of consciousness onto another plane. No one can play guitar like he does on that track.

:D  :D  :D  Couldn't say it better myself!

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 20:28

Im just now listening to the Art in heaven piece.There is nothing that indicates that MO is in a bad condition to play an instrument. Im flying as I listen!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 06 2005, 21:21

me too  :D
If his in flue... how good would he play this piece in good health?
So what will he do if i goes for a tour? Will he play some of the tres lunas piece like this? I would love to hear that, standing there at the concert and just listen and see my favorite MO!
The solo is just great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
far above the clouds Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2005, 14:50

Awesome stuff! I took my cd recorder and hooked it up to my dvd player and made one incredible disc! Got the Millennium Bell show followed by the Art In Heaven piece and as a bonus, I ended the cd with the encore from the TBIII show in London. This little homemade ditty is now my favorite cd to jam out to. :cool:

--------------
Tell me how does it feel......when your heart grows cold.
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2005, 04:05

Quote (far above the clouds @ Sep. 06 2005, 19:52)

Yes - I must agree. I was dubious prior to buying the DVD as Millenium Bell is not in my top ten albums of Mike's. But the concert brought the music to life for me and I think the performance, given the conditions, is awesome.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Hoot Offline

Posted: June 03 2006, 21:53

I found the DVD awesome and cant see a decline!
IMO the dvd is a joy to both watch and listen too and thats whats important to me!

--------------
"And God said: Let There Be Light"
-Genisis,The Bible
(alternatively-The Songs Of Distant Earth,In The Begining)
Profile PM WEB 
Omnhio Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2010, 19:25

What?!
All parts of the concert is in playback?
Do not believe it!

Please, explain... :O
Profile PM 
tarquincat Offline

Posted: June 22 2018, 05:31

Quote (Baggiesfaninessex @ Sep. 17 2005, 04:05)
Quote (far above the clouds @ Sep. 06 2005, 19:52)

Yes - I must agree. I was dubious prior to buying the DVD as Millenium Bell is not in my top ten albums of Mike's. But the concert brought the music to life for me and I think the performance, given the conditions, is awesome.

After all these years, finally got the DVD.

I couldn't agree more !

I have never really "got" Millenium Bell, but seeing it performed to a live audience with the orchestra & Choir really changed my view of it.

Pepsi miming the spoken bits definitely a bit weird though ...
Profile PM 
23 replies since Jan. 26 2004, 04:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net