Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Record Store Day 20201, New Vinyl Release< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2021, 04:37

This album is to get a new release for Record Store Day 2021 in the UK, you can find out more about this by following the link below. Looks like it was cut at Abbey Road, and with the full cooperation of Mike, whatever that means, maybe he just said, "Yes, you can do it" as he hasn't left the Bahamas in years, I doubt he was at Abbey Road.

https://recordstoreday.co.uk/releases/rsd-2021-drop-2/mike-oldfield/
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 08 2021, 06:34

Nice. I wonder how much it will cost? I'm not really sure I need this though, to be honest. It would be hard to justify the cost and hassle of trying to buy it.

Hang on... as well as that, it says it is the "2011 mix". THere's no such thing, is there? The 2011 release was a remaster wasn't it? I thought it couldn't be remixed because the source tapes had been lost?
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: April 11 2021, 19:19

I assume this means the glitch in part 4 is still in it?

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 12 2021, 13:59

I've said this before but I honestly can't hear this glitch that everyone always talks about. 12,40 in part 4, when the sleigh bells come in, yes? I can't hear any glitch. Not doubting it's there... maybe I'm just a cloth-eared nincompoop.... :)
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: April 24 2021, 13:55

someone please clew me in here - why a big todo about a re-release of an album??? and wot has it to do with abbey road?
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: May 20 2021, 11:16

I suppose it depends on how much you value these things, but the mastering/pressing quality of records can vary hugely. So in principle it's good to have a top class pressing on good vinyl, even if it is just a re-release of a previous album.

Mastering is one of those "invisible" things that can make a difference without you realising it. Abbey Road is well established and a bit of an indication of quality, so if a record has been mastered there then you know it will have been lovingly and carefully done.

That being said:
(1) I don't think there's much that could be done to improve Incantations. The original 1979 pressing still sounds terrific to me.
(2) For the most part we are talking tiny gains in quality, that probably only audiophiles will notice or care about.
Profile PM 
5 replies since April 08 2021, 04:37 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net