Question: Favourite Hergest Ridge version :: Total Votes:56
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1974 original mix 27  [48.21%]
1976 'Boxed' mix 14  [25.00%]
2010 mix 15  [26.79%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Favourite Hergest Ridge version, Which mix do you like the best?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dude Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 09 2010, 15:23

Which version do you like the most and why?

--------------
Fortunately I've been adhering to a pretty strict drug regimen to keep my mind limber.
Profile PM WEB 
sparrow Offline

Posted: June 09 2010, 19:27

2010 for me.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 10 2010, 04:26

Boxed for me.  I like the more stripped down sound of part one.  You can really hear those beautiful guitar and bass parts.  It breathes more.  The other mixes sound too cluttered and samey in comparison.  The 1976 mix has more dynamics.  And more beauty, in my opinion.

I like the new mix second best, despite its flaws.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: June 27 2010, 16:56

Well, let's hear it for the 1974 mix from me then! :cool:

The originals are often the best ...

One thing I would add, which applies to TB, HR and O, as I plough through the various mixes - is that all of this extra dimensioning actually confuses things in the end. You can perhaps have too much of a good thing ...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
rusinurbe Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 07:31

2010 5.1 mix shamp its only Dulby Digital and not DTS for even DVDA but what a great surround mix
Profile PM 
pantofis Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 08:12

2010 my a hair to the 1976 Boxed one.

Boxed has the better part one, more mysterious, more dramatic.
2010 remix has the better fidelity, better thunderstorm section and a magnificent surround mix.
Profile PM 
sparrow Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 11:03

Best version aside HR is a beautiful piece of work that I'm just starting to appreciate after 20 od years.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 28 2010, 16:30

I actually wish he had recreated the '74 mix using the original multi-track but with today's software to create the final downmix!

As much I like the '74 "remaster" I can't help but wonder how it would have sounded with the clarity and prominence of the 2010 mix.

so I think overall I prefer the '74 mix but the 2010 surround mix comes a close second - it really is better than the 2010 stereo mix much of what sounds out of place or given undue prominence on the stereo mix makes a lot more sense in surround.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 07:49

I've done a fair bit of listening to the new mix over the last few days.In places i love it,like the oboe coming in later leaving just the acoustic guitar on it's own.That bit i love and  the part where there's an electic guitar playing where there wasn't on the 74 mix or the Boxed version and the acpustic guitar part at the end of side 1.The thunder storm section has more balls than any other mix as well.Other parts i don't like so much.Particuarly the way he brings in the strummed acoustic part in tiny snippets and then backs it off again and everyone's pet hate,the banjo/mando part being right up front over the bass line.Why?
So over all it's still the 74 mix.Love having a good clean version on my iPod. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 09:35

I can say that I DO hate the 1976 Boxed mix...found one of the critical reasons for me not appreciating HR the way it deserves to be!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 10:10

Yeah i agree the Boxed 1976 mix is my least favourite.The new one reveals things not heard on the original.The Boxed mix was an excercise in Mike stripping it right back.

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 10:11

Quote (Cudsie @ June 28 2010, 16:30)
so I think overall I prefer the '74 mix but the 2010 surround mix comes a close second - it really is better than the 2010 stereo mix much of what sounds out of place or given undue prominence on the stereo mix makes a lot more sense in surround.

So did they just take the surround version and mix it down to stereo? That would explain the stereo version sounding bad.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 10:11

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ June 30 2010, 09:35)
I can say that I DO hate the 1976 Boxed mix...found one of the critical reasons for me not appreciating HR the way it deserves to be!

Philistine!   :p

Actually it was the other way around for me - I didn't appreciate the album until I heard the Boxed remix.  I couldn't get into the original mix at all back in the days when I first heard it.  It's still my least favourite of the three mixes.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 03:20

Forgot to mention one of the best bits of the remix is the strings being more to the fore at the end of part 1.Always wondered where they were as it credits Mr Bedford with arranging choir and strings.

--------------
Profile PM 
Jimmy Nimbus Offline

Posted: July 03 2010, 13:25

Now there are enough mixes for everyone to mix and match to create their ultimate version., intro from Boxed without the out of time bass, thunderstorm from 2010, etc.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 03 2010, 14:18

Quote (Jimmy Nimbus @ July 03 2010, 13:25)
Now there are enough mixes for everyone to mix and match to create their ultimate version.

Been thinking the very same.  There might be more from the Boxed mix on mine than most folks's though.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 05 2010, 04:53

"Particuarly the way he brings in the strummed acoustic part in tiny snippets and then backs it off again and everyone's pet hate,the banjo/mando part being right up front over the bass line.Why? "

I thought it was just me.....
The 2010 mix is almost perfect.....But these two bits...
1. Cutting the acoustic guitar strum..is horrible....It sounds really bad...and obviously cut...
Even a novice engineer wouldn't do that....let alone a perfectionist like MO....
2.The banjo ( I dont think it is cos its sooooo out of time...
it sounds like some kind of harmoizer/delay out put from something...
This is in my favorite bit of side one. ( about 12 mins in).where the bass is going on and the sleigh bells (??? where are they)....
And you have this out of tune and out of time sound/guitar...
Shocking .....

The rest of the mix is amazing..like a new MO CD...

I know we are never gonna all be happy and its so subjective...BUT these are real audio bloomers....

So Close.... I will now have to do what we all should do , cut in these two sections from the 1974 mix and we have it !!!!
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 06 2010, 01:45

Quote (Bell Boy @ July 05 2010, 04:53)
This is in my favorite bit of side one. ( about 12 mins in).where the bass is going on and the sleigh bells (??? where are they)....
And you have this out of tune and out of time sound/guitar...
Shocking .....

Bell Boy; - my favourite bit too and I was shocked. :O

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
captainknut Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 11:51

I never could stand the 1976 version. He took out all the best bits, for Chrissake! Like... the melody!!! In the beginning, when you're waiting for the trumpet to come in and carry the melody, it... doesn't! We just get to hear the rhythm guitar and bass right up front.

I have always felt about the 1976 mix like some people seem to be thinking about the new 2010 Ommadawn surround mix - that it surely must be a mistake? As if MO turned off the melody track just to check how the background sounded, and then forgot to turn the melody-carrying tracks back on before final mastering.

But now, finally(!), we get the original mix on CD. Just had to wait 36 years, that's all!

(But I still like the abrupt start much better than the fade in.)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 12 2010, 12:13

Glad to see 52% prefer the 1974 original. It's still my choice. The Porky Pekham(sp?) english version rules. That file is backed up on so many data DVD's. Stay Tubular....OOPS don't change shape! It might kill ya. You get what I mean. IE, be happy and make a big noise. No, sometimes that causes trouble too... Uh, peace and long life.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
95 replies since June 09 2010, 15:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net