Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: High or Low places?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pacha Daddy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 02 2001, 11:22

I've often seen it said here on the board that "In High Places" is a bad song, that Jon Anderson screwed MO by only doing one take, etc.

Just had a listen to it, and...well, I don't see what the fuss is about! Why do some of you consider this a bad song? And if you like it, what do you like about it?
Profile PM WEB 
Hillbilly Offline

Posted: July 02 2001, 12:13

I just think it's not a good song, and I'm not too fond of Jon's voice. frown

By the way, haven't you noticed that the verses use the same melody as "Orabidoo" from the previous album?
Profile PM 
ex member 337 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 02 2001, 15:16

I think its quite a good song when all the stuff kicks in, it has some interesting time signitures. But I don't like the begining bit much.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Jan. 30 2002, 16:09

I am a big Yes fan as well as a big MO fan, and I think "In High Places" is a great song. I like how the different rhythms come together and come apart and come back together again. Jon's voice is crisp, right on key, and although a bit raspy, just perfect for this tune. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 22 2002, 23:30

It's alright, but a bit strange. Yeah, once the instruments kick in it's alright. And yes, I am a big fan of Jon Anderson, however this song was a bit of a dissapointment for me.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
KtheC
Unregistered

Posted: July 23 2002, 12:55

I think that "In High Places" is classic Jon Anderson.  In no
way do I think this as a MO song.  It should have been on a
Jon Anderson cd instead.  But I am a bit biased being a big
Yes & JA fan.
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 12 2003, 13:33

I like YES but never really were their big fan
"In high places" is really good song in my opinion...it has specific atmosphere - it is a bit melancholic but sublimated also....i love the moment when after a-capella singing the drums/vibraphone and later bass starts to play.
anyway i Like this one very much and for me it one of his best eighties tunes - compare it to "Foreign affair" from Crises - both have this a bit sentimental and sad atmosphere.

Ps. the other song with Anderson "Shine" is really dissapointing pop stuff- although guitar solo is amazing

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 10:50

Has no-one mentioned here that "In High Places" is a reggae? How unusual is that, Mike Oldfield reggae? ;) It's certainly no tribute to Bob Marley, but it's a lovely song. Very airy, beautiful and groovy. I'm a big fan of the song, indeed. Jon does a great work. What other male singer would hit such high notes? :)

And I've never seen any similarity between In High Places and Orabidoo. And I do have a good ear for music.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Crises Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2003, 17:49

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 13 2003, 15:50)
Jon does a great work. What other male singer would hit such high notes? :)

Try Daniel Gildenlow from Pain of Salvation ;)

But i was never a big fan of this song and is the least favourite on the album

--------------
- Johnny -
Profile PM 
Tieò_mesaèného_svitu Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 01:08

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 13 2003, 16:50)
Jon does a great work. What other male singer would hit such high notes? :)

Zambó Imre  :D (just joking)
He was a Hungarian pop singer: long blond hair, cheesey lyrics and high tones. Horrible!
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2003, 04:54

One of my favorites as Jon Anderson is singing, being a fan of both artists, it worked out fine.

My fav 'Jon & Vangelis' album is 'The Friends of Mr Cairo'

a musical spoof on the Maltese falcon, its shear brilliant.

Cheers, MO fan  :D
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 10:40

I just realized that Geddy Lee (of Rush fame) could probably hit those notes, but he'd have to yell really loud. :D He hits an insanely high note on Free Will. An F4, if I'm not mistaken.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Mike Chadwick Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 14:50

its a pity that Mike never Collaborated with Geddy Lee.he is one of my favourite artists and also a fantastic Vocalist and Musician...in eighties he started to play more 80's styled rock music just as Mike did and collaboration between these two people would be really really interesting!

--------------
kik-eze kik-eze
Profile PM 
Bonsignore Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2003, 16:37

Quote (Mike Chadwick @ Aug. 20 2003, 14:50)
its a pity that Mike never Collaborated with Geddy Lee.he is one of my favourite artists and also a fantastic Vocalist and Musician...in eighties he started to play more 80's styled rock music just as Mike did and collaboration between these two people would be really really interesting!

That's an interesting suggestion, indeed... Maybe they could talk Phil Collins into the project to fill in on drums :O
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2003, 03:56

Yes, it would be interesting, but I wonder if it could work out. Talk about clash of egos  :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2003, 08:33

Quote (Holger @ Dec. 13 2003, 04:56)
Yes, it would be interesting, but I wonder if it could work out. Talk about clash of egos  :D

...and Mike´s "love" for collaborations with other artists!

BTW,
Sir Mustapha,you said about Mike getting into reggae.You forgot to mention Gimme Back,from Heaven´s Open!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2003, 13:57

Indeed! Gimme Back is even more reggae than In High Places, with its unbroken rhythm and even that "chuck-chuck" guitar popping in now and then. I find it nice Mike has an interest in Reggae/African/God-knows-what rhythms. It seems Europe doesn't have only Ian Andersons. :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2003, 14:02

Mike did once said in an interview for a brazilian newspaper that travelling is a good thing for his music: he learns a lot when he listens to new music.

African music is something I like a lot on Mike´s work.He once said about when he was a kid he had the chance to meet some african boys and play with them.
:cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2003, 04:10

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Dec. 13 2003, 08:33)
BTW,
Sir Mustapha,you said about Mike getting into reggae.You forgot to mention Gimme Back,from Heaven´s Open!

There's another one: In The Pool.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2003, 12:50

Traveling does has a big invluence on Mike and his music,he went and was invluenced by Peru before writing Pacha Mama.
Profile PM 
33 replies since July 02 2001, 11:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net