Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Classical Mike Oldfield, Mike's classical output - an album?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 29 2019, 18:57

We know that Mike has made Music of the Spheres. And that there are classical versions of TB and HR. But what else has Mike recorded that sounds classical?

I would say the following:

> Argiers
> Piano improvisation
> Woodhenge
> Taurus 3
> Parts of the Killing Fields
> Mont St Michel
> Lake Constance

After that, there is music that is at least partly classical, or covers  or adapts a classical composer, such as:

> Vivaldi Concerto in C
> Incantations
> Philip Glass
> Silent Night - and maybe others.

By my reckoning I can get around 33:40 seconds of "The Classical Mike Oldfield" (plus MotS).

I'd love to see this drawn together into an album, together with some additional material. The classical audience extends all over the world, so airplay for such music is not a UK product, it has international reach.

Going right back to the start, Mike did a wonderful thing called, "Mike Oldfield's Single". I've excluded it because it has electric guitars, but it has a very classical feel. I'd love to hear that re-worked as part of such an album.

And I'd love to hear Mike add some more solo piano and solo guitar pieces, and work with some string musicians.

Have I missed any pieces out? And what do you think?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 30 2019, 04:44

That would be an interesting idea. Of course Etude from The Killing Fields is a reworking of Francisco Tarrega's Recuerdos de la Alhambra. I wonder if Mike did a solo acoustic guitar demo of that?
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: May 15 2019, 09:58

William Tell Overture
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 19 2019, 18:40

There's a bit in Women of Ireland where it just goes into George Frederic Handel's Sarabande for a little while.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: May 21 2019, 04:42

A bit of Bach in Conflict.  :p
Profile PM 
4 replies since April 29 2019, 18:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net