Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Where is the "Telstar" sound ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Foufou2001 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2017, 02:02

Very nice to hear the full version of RTO !
Part 2 is my favorite.
But I miss the specific organ sound you can hear in the BBC radio excerpt of some weeks ago.
Was this a remix and does anyone know why the organ sound is deleted ?
Profile PM 
Foufou2001 Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2017, 05:09

On the French spoken site Orabidoo-mikeoldfield.net there were some Facebook messages from Mike posted where he talks about the "Telstar" sound.

http://www.orabidoo-mikeoldfield.net/2016....rt.html

It was very clearly heard on BBC Radio edit, but NOT on the CD.
Maybe on the 5.1 mix ?
I haven't had time to listen to it yet...[B]
Profile PM 
ESentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2017, 05:59

Mike said:

And then we see that Victory is actually part of Pt. I of RTO:

Pt. I

Pt. II

Can anybody post the radio edit??????

Please.
Profile PM 
Foufou2001 Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2017, 08:44

The melody of the "Victory" piece is in #19-20-21 of Part II.
Here you can hear the radio edit :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TG63Zhge1w

Much more powerful than the CD version, thanks to the above mentioned "Telstar" organ sound...
Profile PM 
Foufou2001 Offline

Posted: Jan. 31 2017, 21:49

Am I dreaming or is anyone else also hearing this difference between the BBC radio edit and the CD version of the "Victory" part ?
Nearly every review of that radio excerpt mentioned the Telstar-sound and now there is total radio silence...
;)
Profile PM 
pipetune Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2017, 16:05

Yes I searched like mad on the web as I thought this must be a single. I would also love that version. It is a bit like the single 'Spheres' which I think is better than the whole album. :/
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2017, 04:18

I think it is more like Early Stages from TB11 where you heard a "version" of the album, but then Mike decided to go elsewhere with it, and it is a special radio edit version, so I guess it didn't have to be exactly like the album. But it is another thing to add to the Anthology box set from Mike in the future ;)
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 01 2022, 11:16

Mike stated in a TV interview, not too long after the release of Return to Ommadawn, that he came across the sound of the Clavioline. This is an early synthesizer and was used as lead instrument in the famous Telstar track. He liked the distinctive sound and made a Telstar-sounding theme with a Clavioline VST. This theme became the Victory theme on Return to Ommadawn. But later he realised that the Telstar-sound wouldn't fit well on an Ommadawn-themed album. So, in his words, he had to 'de-telstar' it a bit. Besides turning down the Clavioline in the mix, the guitar sounds seem to differ as well.

Recently I've been searching a lot for the BBC Radio 2 fragment. I once heared it on YouTube, but the fragment (the link posted by Foufou2001) has been taken down. But fortunately I stumbled upon the following fragment on SoundCloud. And even Steve Wright's voice has been filktered out!

Enjoy: https://soundcloud.com/user-70....dio-rip

Would have been great if Mike had made a single 'Victory (theme from Return to Ommadawn)' with the un-de-telstarred theme...

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: June 01 2022, 21:14

Thanks for posting this, Mike. "Telstar" always reminds me of deco art - futuristic but of the past. I still think you're going to surprise us all by bringing out Tubular Bells 4 when we least expect it. Hope all is well in the beautiful Bahamas.
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: June 07 2022, 02:01

Quote (Happy? @ June 01 2022, 11:16)
Would have been great if Mike had made a single 'Victory (theme from Return to Ommadawn)' with the un-de-telstarred theme...

And, now that I tink of it, on that very same single the final jig as B side. Or maybe even the jig on A and Victory on B. Lemme think of a title that catches it all... 'Back On Horse'?  :cool:

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
9 replies since Jan. 27 2017, 02:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net