Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Release, Record Store Day 2022< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 17 2022, 03:53

The annual Record Store Day have announced a Vinyl release of Tubular Bells 11 There is no information yet about if this is remastered or a half speed release. This will be released 23rd April.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2022, 08:28

The recent obsession with LPs ("vinyl") is bewildering. The first play is very high fidelity but decreases exponentially after that, until the LP has worn out. That's why the market moved to CDs. Duh, doh, etc
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2022, 03:16

I have not bought Vinyl since the 80's I am still into CD's, I will download the odd track that's maybe got one or two songs I like from an album, which saves buying the whole thing, as far as Mike is concerned, it's CD all the way.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2022, 11:18

A digitally recorded album pressed on vinyl is basically a CD transfered to LP. It will sound like the CD.
I wonder how many people play those limited edition vinyl albums. I think most copies stay in their shrinkwrap.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2022, 05:47

Yes, I agree, most won't be played, it's not my thing really.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 20 2022, 12:36

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 18 2022, 17:18)
A digitally recorded album pressed on vinyl is basically a CD transfered to LP. It will sound like the CD.
I wonder how many people play those limited edition vinyl albums. I think most copies stay in their shrinkwrap.

Sorry to disagree. The master tapes, that are being transferred to high resolution audio normally are mastered at 24bit. CDs can only manage 16bit resolution. LPs can play at 192 kHz. CDs only can add to 44.1 kHz. So CDs are far minerior in resolution.

In result, LPs are not transferred from CDs, but from high-resolution master tapes, which clearly surpass the quality of CDs.

High resolution audio files can reproduce that to the same extent.

:cool:

Edited by manintherain on Feb. 20 2022, 12:39
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2022, 13:14

Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 20 2022, 12:36)

Sorry to disagree. The master tapes, that are being transferred to high resolution audio normally are mastered at 24bit. CDs can only manage 16bit resolution. LPs can play at 192 kHz. CDs only can add to 44.1 kHz. So CDs are far minerior in resolution.

In result, LPs are not transferred from CDs, but from high-resolution master tapes, which clearly surpass the quality of CDs.

You're right(didn't think of the 16khz thing)! But the it's still digital sound pressed on an analog medium, which means you are listening to a digital file through your record player.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 20 2022, 17:11

Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 20 2022, 17:36)

LPs can play at 192 kHz. CDs only can add to 44.1 kHz. So CDs are far minerior in resolution.

Analogue audio doesn't have a sample rate, so that's just wrong.

Vinyl records have all kinds of other issues about what their frequency response it (in particular you can't put very low loud bass on a vinyl record because it'll make the needle bounce out of the groove), wide stereo fields don't do well, and the sound quality at the end of one side of the disc is worse than at the beginning.

Well-made vinyl is lovely, and it encourages people to listen to music instead of having it on in background, and it encourages people to play albums all the way through, but it isn't at all the best or most consistent way of listening available to people on a home stereo.

(I should say, I work with analogue tape, vinyl, and digital audio most days for work - I'm not just pulling this from reading hi-fi forums).
Profile PM 
7 replies since Feb. 17 2022, 03:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net