Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations CD vs LP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
amazarak Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 15 2005, 15:18

I've heard rumours that CD-version of Incantations is trimmed to fit the disc, and only LPs contain "all" music. Is that true?

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 16 2005, 04:43

Quote (amazarak @ June 15 2005, 15:18)
I've heard rumours that CD-version of Incantations is trimmed to fit the disc, and only LPs contain "all" music. Is that true?

Only the original versions of the CD, two subsequent reissues have included the whole work.  To make sure, check the copy you're thinking of buying has a see-through spine on the front on the jewel case rather than an opaque black one, then you know you're getting the remaster.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: June 16 2005, 07:36

I've already bought the HDCD remastered edition (2000). So this is the trimmed one?

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 16 2005, 07:42

Quote (amazarak @ June 16 2005, 07:36)
I've already bought the HDCD remastered edition (2000). So this is the trimmed one?

Nope, you got the full works there!

:)

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: June 17 2005, 02:10

That's good news... Thanks for help!

--------------
Profile PM 
George89 Offline

Posted: July 25 2005, 21:06

My Dad's got a cd recorder connected to our record player so we can transfer from record to cd, works really well and is responsible for the majority of my Oldfield albums, so i've definitely got all of it!
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 27 2005, 15:08

On a related note, apparently up until the early 90's there was an EU legislation in effect according to which a music CD could include only a maximum of 60 minutes of material, hence the editing of the original CD issue (this probably also explains the very precise 60-min running time of Amarok).
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 27 2005, 16:26

Why on earth would the EU censor music CDs in this fashion? What next: a maximum legal book length?

"We're sorry, Mr Shakespeare. You are going to have to find another line of work, like meat packing. With this last play, you went over the legal 350-page limit. Apply that quill to paper once more, and you WILL go to jail."

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 28 2005, 05:35

Quote (Sysiyo @ July 27 2005, 15:08)
On a related note, apparently up until the early 90's there was an EU legislation in effect according to which a music CD could include only a maximum of 60 minutes of material, hence the editing of the original CD issue (this probably also explains the very precise 60-min running time of Amarok).

Except that the original CD of Incantations was still over 60 minutes.

I think it was more to do with the technology being new and them not being able to to fit the entire double album on a CD that would play properly.

Having said that all early CDs sounded like a piece of crap!

And also rather than sacrificing some of the album, a double CD would have been preferable...

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 28 2005, 13:59

Quote (hiawatha @ July 27 2005, 23:26)
Why on earth would the EU censor music CDs in this fashion? What next: a maximum legal book length?

Actually, there were such limitations in effect in the US in the late 70's/early 80's, imposed by the dominant bookstores, although being precise they had more to do with the price/lenght ratio of a book than being an unflexible limit.

Also, we do have limitations in music today, when in the UK a single can only have three tracks and becomes an EP if it has more. Still, it was very stupid.
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: July 28 2005, 15:46

Quote (Sysiyo @ July 28 2005, 13:59)
Actually, there were such limitations in effect in the US in the late 70's/early 80's, imposed by the dominant bookstores

What were these limitations? I have some huge books from this period.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 29 2005, 12:07

I don't know what they were precisely, but David Eddings (yes, I know, lame) mentions in one of his books that he wanted the Belgariad to be a trilogy, but then the individual parts would have exceeded the page-limit, and it had to be published in five volumes instead.
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 31 2005, 12:42

Last weekend I discarded all of my notes from library school, which would have contained information about that. Sorry! The first weeding of college notes ever and look what happens!  I recall that episode too, that it came from the publishing industry, and that it concerned the number of folds (when you open up a book, you can see little groups of pages).  Probably John Willam Tebbel's Rise and Transformation of Book Publishing in America or his series of History of Book Publishing in the United States would shed some light on it. I have some huge books from that time, too.

Regarding the length of Incantations.....the shortened CD is supposed to be missing the first part of Part II, right? Does the shortened version start at the same place as Part II on the 4-CD Elements set? Incantations was one of the first CDs I bought back in the 80's and it's as complete as the vinyl. CAROL 1854-2 ("marketed and distributed by Caroline Records"). At any rate, Glad I missed the first run of it!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 31 2005, 16:07

Quote (Inkanta @ July 31 2005, 12:42)
Regarding the length of Incantations.....the shortened CD is supposed to be missing the first part of Part II, right?

No, it's missing the first part of Part 3, I think.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: July 31 2005, 16:45

According to Amadian, "the first pressing of the CD had a shorter version of "Part Three" which timing was only 13:49 due to a limitation in Compact Disc storage capacity. "
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 31 2005, 20:40

Ah..thanks! For those of us who are practically obsessed with Incantations, it's hard to think of abridging any of the original under those circumstances. I tend to like Part III much better than the beginning of Part II. If anything had to go, I'd have taken it off of that. But...no one asked me.  :p

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2005, 05:15

Quote (Inkanta @ July 31 2005, 20:40)
I tend to like Part III much better than the beginning of Part II. If anything had to go, I'd have taken it off of that. But...no one asked me.  :p

I'm glad they didn't - the opening section of Part 2 is my favourite part of Incantations!!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2005, 06:55

Part III is my favourite part as well, and I've always found it odd they edited that, rather than Part II which is less interesting than the others.
Profile PM WEB 
Daftyboy Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2005, 15:39

I'm in the process of replacing all my vinyl copies with HDCD CD versions.
What I'm finding great at the moment is being able to listen to the whole double album without having to move!
I'd always subconsciously split this album into 4 sides and tended to 'pick a side.'
Listening to the whole 72(ish) minutes in one go this morning was a whole new experience. Fantastic!
Adrian
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2005, 05:23

Quote (Daftyboy @ Sep. 08 2005, 15:39)
Listening to the whole 72(ish) minutes in one go this morning was a whole new experience. Fantastic!

Yeah, I tend to do this now as well, whereas in the vinyl days, it was only ever one or two sides, here and there.  I never got a grasp of how complete and self-contatined Incantations was until I bought the CD.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
37 replies since June 15 2005, 15:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net