Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: reflections on Incantations< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ingresman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 17 2010, 08:24

With the possibility of a de-luxe version of Incantations on the cards, it got me to reflecting on Incantations and where I was in life.

I'm a bit of an oldie here so remember the release and the TV advert very well. It was released on the 24th November 1978, my birthday is in early December. Being a boy at the time, I had to wait a few days to get the album, what a wait!. However the local radio station rock programme had a surprise, they played the 4 sides late on a evening (probably Friday), so there I was, a bleary eyed Ingresboy (!;) with brand new TDK-SA C90 in hand to record it.

We didn't get a good signal so it hissed all the way through, but it was clear enough to enjoy again (and again!;). I only had to wait a few days to get the LP, but it was difficult waiting as I wanted to read the sleeve notes, actually to hold it. When my birthday finally came I was up at 4am, there it was waiting on top of the turntable, so it went straight on (much to the annoyance of my parents). I recall father had bought a plastic sleeve to put it in. That was standard practice in my house, if you recall LP's you'll recall these sleeves if you don't then you won't !. On occasion when I'm in the loft I'll have a look at my vinyl. Incantations is still there, still in the plastic sleeve, pristine (thanks dad). It brings back a load of memories of my late father, he'll have gone to the local record shop and bought it for his boy. Years later I have done this on many occasions for my own children. When do our parents become people not just parents??, it's difficult to imagine the love they had for us and have no idea of the sacrifices they may have made for us.

So 32 years has rolled by and it's still a good album. I'm as excited about the potential for a 5.1 mix as I was then back in '78 about 2 plastic disks!

The TV advert I did see live, Back in 1978 in the UK there was only 3 stations and videos were really expensive, pre VHS wide use, (can you even buy a VHS recorder now?). Anyhow it popped up once or twice. The NME advert (and maybe the TV advert) had the strap line similar to "It's been 3 years ,the wait is over, the rest has yet to come", I'd be interested if anyone knows what it actually was. To paraphrase it's been 32 years for a surround mix the wait is over !
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2010, 09:19

the tv-spot?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 17 2010, 16:58

yes I remember the plastic sleeves, and all this is pretty much my experience as well.  Don't forget what a huge gap it had been since Ommadawn.  it was only a few years, but at the time it seemed like an age, especially when you are only 15 years old
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2010, 18:21

I am old enough to remember that tv-ad. And viewing it just a few seconds ago made me cringe at the utter cheesiness of it, especially with Mike staring aimlessly into nothingness.

But I also remember buying the cassette and the album, along with those wonderful plastic album sleeves. I still have them both, with the album still sounding far superior to the cassette & CD versions.

This is without doubt my favourite MO album: it has its weaknesses of course, but not in so greater number compared to albums before and after this one.  As much as I loved TB, O and HR during my teen years, I never really felt "locked in" to any of them. Whereas whenever I listen to Incantations, I am constantly reminded of my past and where I was when I first listened to this wonderful album.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2010, 04:24

Quote (New Incantation @ Sep. 19 2010, 18:21)
I am old enough to remember that tv-ad. And viewing it just a few seconds ago made me cringe at the utter cheesiness of it, especially with Mike staring aimlessly into nothingness.

I thought it was OK.  Promotion was less sophisticated in the 70s, and I'm sure there was far, far worse TV album ads than this!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2010, 11:56

Incantations rocks!

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2010, 12:22

Incantations is a really big event. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's a lot of addition material on the new edition.
The composition is much more sophisticated and spiritual in contrast to his other works.
I like the "wooden feeling" created by strings, marimbas and percussion instruments.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2010, 19:49

Do I really need to write anything?

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2010, 19:49

Double post.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 23 2010, 04:14

Quote (Incantations @ Sep. 23 2010, 09:49)
Do I really need to write anything?

Not at all just stand in front of a mirror :laugh:
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2010, 07:23

I agree it is a big deal. TB,HR and O seem to me to be phase 1, phase 2 started with incantations after all the well documented changes in his life.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2010, 12:21

Wait, then you regard phase 2 to only consist of Incantations, because Incantations is very little like what succeeded it.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2010, 13:20

Quote (Incantations @ Sep. 23 2010, 12:21)
Wait, then you regard phase 2 to only consist of Incantations, because Incantations is very little like what succeeded it.

exactly what I was going to say!   Incantations was followed by Platinum, which was far more similar to the further 3 or 4 albums that followed it than Incantations.  In fairness it is probably more sensible to consider Incantations as the end of Phase 1 - although for me personally it shines out on its own as a remarkable piece all on it's own, so yes, lets call it phase 2!!
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2010, 22:31

ODKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.........

Sorry, had to let that out, been a tough day.

Anyways, I am a full on supporter of the 'Incantations is in its own catagory' league.

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 04:39

Quote (ingresman @ Sep. 23 2010, 07:23)
I agree it is a big deal. TB,HR and O seem to me to be phase 1, phase 2 started with incantations after all the well documented changes in his life.

Those changes happened part-way through recording Incantations, so in a way it straddles phase 1 and phase 2 like a big straddling thing.   :cool:

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 07:02

Maybe a phase 0 which is Tubular Bells and all it's reworkings over the decades.
"Fanny , we need a new house, I can't smoke in this country anymore",
"ok hon, can you get a TB remix banged out then?" ;)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 16:00

Quote (captainjjb @ Sep. 23 2010, 18:20)
for me personally it shines out on its own as a remarkable piece all on it's own, so yes, lets call it phase 2!!

Yes -  I'm happy to call it phase 2, all on it's own - with a border round it - like a privet hedge. Far enough away from Ommadawn at one end and Platinum on the other.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Michael Hilton Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 20:21

Quote (ingresman @ Sep. 24 2010, 20:02)
Maybe a phase 0 which is Tubular Bells and all it's reworkings over the decades.
"Fanny , we need a new house, I can't smoke in this country anymore",
"ok hon, can you get a TB remix banged out then?" ;)

That's true, I've walked miles to have a ciggy
Another gentlemans pleasure considered offensive.
I guess we are taxed on the air we breathe.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 20:24

Quote (wiga @ Sep. 25 2010, 06:00)
for me personally it shines out on its own as a remarkable piece all on it's own, so yes, lets call it phase 2!!

Yes -  I'm happy to call it phase 2, all on it's own - with a border round it - like a privet hedge. Far enough away from Ommadawn at one end and Platinum on the other.

Yes I agree Phase II it is.
Lets hope the remix is "Incident" free. :D
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2010, 22:24

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 24 2010, 12:24)
Quote (wiga @ Sep. 25 2010, 06:00)

Yes I agree Phase II it is.
Lets hope the remix is "Incident" free. :D

I  could already imagine, a part 4 with all vibraphones mixed out.  :p

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
39 replies since Sep. 17 2010, 08:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net