Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike and the Blues, How much Blues is there in MO's work?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Marky Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 20 2020, 19:51

I know Mike nods to the blues now and again. He did a tribute to BB King with his B.Blues piece on Earth Moving. But have you noticed how very bluesy Ringscape is on Light and Shade? Can you think of any other examples, and how Bluesy is Mike? How much can we connect him or his thoughts to the Blues? Let's go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v....ndex=16
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2020, 20:49

Well, the letters of "Tubular Bells" contain "brutal blues", with an l left out.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 22 2020, 10:09

Mike hasn't done a lot of traditional blues, but aside from the song you mention, I would suggest No Dream too.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2020, 05:03

Roundabout the time of Amarok, if I remember correctly, Mike said something along the lines of "I wish there was more creativity and individuality in music and not just everyone following each other like sheep playing the Blues."

That strongly suggests Mike is very much against the Blues in general.  B.Blues, as mentioned above, is the only outright full-blown Blues track that Mike ever did.  Apart from that there are just the occasional little nuggets or short passages of the Blues in Mike's music, most notably the Blue Saloon pieces from Tubular Bells I and Tubular Bells II, the Scot pieces which originally concluded the more psychedelic versions of Peace on the Tubular Bells demos and finally appeared more widely in Amarok.  The first guitar and bass riffs in Hergest Ridge are also somewhat bluesy as is a similar bluesy passage near the start of the Crises title track.  A December 1982 concert featuring Mike and the Munchen orchestra performing a one-off and apparently abridged version of Orchestral Tubular Bells ends with a short bluesy jam prior to a folk jam with Paddy Maloney and Morris Pert takes place.  The aforementioned Ringscape from Light and Shade indeed has a very bluesy feel especially with the keyboard part played on a virtual Hammond B Organ, very reminiscent of Richard Wright's bluesy Hammond Organ riff's on classic Pink Floyd tracks like The Great Gig In The Sky.  The main guitar riffs from Bagpipe Guitars and the title track of the Platinum title track are in a 12/8 time signature.  However that's probably a more tenuous Blue connection since a lot of classic rock, progressive rock, metal, funk and the more swinging jazz numbers also utilize the 12/8 time signature.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2020, 09:12

I am glad Mike is not into the blues, to many other people do it, Mike is more unique, which is one of the reasons I love his music.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2020, 15:23

That riff at 2:20 in Crises (the title track) sounds like the blues to me.
Also, Platinum pt 2 is very much in the blues rock/boogie style.

And IMO, Mike's guitar playing has been more and more Peter Green-sounding since the late 80s.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
5 replies since Dec. 20 2020, 19:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net