Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: THE defining quote from the book< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Down Under Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 19 2012, 05:27

I bought a copy of "Changeling".  I thoroughly enjoyed it and really appreciated Mike's frankness about all his difficulties over such a long time.  I also thought it was extremely informative, and in great detail.

On page 252, virtually at the very end, Mike laments about how we now have "grossly obscene, voyeuristic television, smothered in degrading advertising that is an insult to human intelligence."  As regards advertising, how absolutely true.  Here in Australia, we have suffered for years with shouting advertising with abusive and threatening sounds and intonations.  My mute button has taken a caning for far too long, with the word "mute" fast disappearing.  Apart from the obscene threatening shouting advertisements from the mindless retailer Harvey Norman (almost in every ad break as well - plenty of YouTube examples are out there so you can see and hear what I mean), we are now suffering an absolutely mindless and repetitive barrage of insurance advertising, particularly funeral insurance.  Long, long 90-second ads, too.  How many times do we need to be told the same thing over and over and over and over time and time again?  Mike was dead right.

And, oh, those moronic flashing advertising fences and hoardings around all the football fields.  I am completely beside myself in trying to figure out how it could be considered that anybody would take their eyes off the action at the goal mouth and look somewhere else even for a moment at ... bloody flashing advertising.  And the stuff painted all over the pitches and cricket fields ... give me a break!  I couldn't give a .... about all this advertising trying to distract your attention from the action that you've come to watch.  My reaction to all these offensive and mindless intrusive technique is the same word used by the Rolling Stones for their latest album.

Do forum members in other countries feel the same way?
Profile PM 
0 replies since Dec. 19 2012, 05:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net