Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Cut & Paste the album, WHy not ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MO fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 25 2005, 17:16

I bought the album two months ago, but I was waiting to see what everyone thought. It seems to have had a very mixed reception.

My own feeling with regard Mike's albums is that you need to play them over and over, so you can decide what you like and what you don't.

Way back on the old albums days, like Hergest Ridge, Incantations, Ommadon, to me these albums were one continious set piece of music and were just 100% perfect.

Now we come to more recent works that are more varied, and unfortunately theres no way they are 100% perfect.

For this 'light and shade' album, we have two CD's with a lot of songs, so I have just kept the songs I liked, plus bits of songs I liked and ditched the rest.

Also I have tried to blend one piece of music on to the next, creating a CD-R that I am happy with. This results in an Oldfield style of music that I am more pleased with.

I suppose we have to accept the fact that musicians want to try out different sounds, techno etc. Unfortunately a lot of the fan base is more used to previous styles of his works.

On a footnote: The one lot of music artists who have cottoned onto a similar Oldfield style of continious themes and haunting melodies, and stick with that format is 'Enigma'.

I look forward to each of their albums because up to now, like Mikes old works, I know they produce albums that are 100% enjoyable. Time will tell if they continue this way.

Finally, don't think I don't appreciate this 'light & shade' album,  I would rather accept 80% of a Mike Oldfield album that I enjoy, rather than get no album at all.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 02 2006, 19:11

Quote (MO fan @ Dec. 25 2005, 22:16)
For this 'light and shade' album, we have two CD's with a lot of songs, so I have just kept the songs I liked, plus bits of songs I liked and ditched the rest.

Also I have tried to blend one piece of music on to the next, creating a CD-R that I am happy with. This results in an Oldfield style of music that I am more pleased with.

I was thinking about starting my own topic on how to make a great album from the 2 CD's, but then i found this already started.

MO fan, care to share which tracks you kept?

I'm still working on my own favourite playlist for L&S.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2006, 04:21

There was a thread started on this topic a while ago, here, which contains a number of suggestions about how to edit the two CDs into one.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2006, 05:19

Thanks for the link Alan, I missed that one.

Admins, please merge or lock now.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
MO fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 03 2006, 17:24

Quote (olracUK @ Jan. 02 2006, 19:11)
"MO fan, care to share which tracks you kept?
I'm still working on my own favourite playlist for L&S."

I think it is really down to everyones own taste to keep what they like and dump the bits they don't.

I went a stage further, as with all Mikes instrumental music, I like one song (or theme) to merge into the next, which he has done on many albums (then re-interducing that theme further on).

So I used a program to merge one song to the next, this almost put the songs in the order to suit one finishing and another starting.

I just wished Mike had put them all on U-MYX format, rather than just four songs, so further editing of specific parts could have been done. That way I would have definately kept more tracks in.
Profile PM 
4 replies since Dec. 25 2005, 17:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net