Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Incantations Deluxe, An Ultimate Edition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
dazzler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2009, 17:13

INCANTATIONS is one of Mikes more complex albums.
I wondered how an ultimate rerelease of that album would look like.

Which bonus tracks should be on it?
Should we include lyrics, liner notes and some nice photographs?

TRACKLIST

A

Incantations (part one)
Incantations (part two)

B

Incantations (part three)
Incantations (part four)

Pipetune
Cuckoo Song
The William Tell Ouverture
First Excursion
Wrekorder Wrondo
Vivaldi in C

I would go for a 2CD, just like the album was a 2LP.
It creates enough space to include some "lost" bonus tracks.
Ofcourse there's Pipetune (the missing part of Incantations) and it's a-side Cuckoo Song.
I also added the two classical pieces (Tell and Vivaldi).
Plus the outstanding First Excursion
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 03:47

Aaah First Excursion is here,2 discs and all fair enough...What about the space movie stuff,all cleaned up and what have yer?...I really don`t like Cuckoo Song,but I guess there`s always the skip button..The only problem with this deluxe set is it kind of breaks up the flow of Incantations somewhat.I think more often than not I`d be missing out the bonus tracks from the first disc and going straight to disc two.Given the album`s running time though,I guess there`s little you can do about that unfortunatly.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 04:20

Oh I tell you what you could put the first three parts on disc one.And then start disc two with part four,with all the bonus material following on from that.Plus I think if people saw all the extra tracks put together like that you might "lure" a few more people in as such.I mean I don`t wanna` jump the gun or anything but imo,I think a lot of people would prefer that.You wouldn`t stick Cuckoo Song in the middle of Amarok now would you?
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 04:29

What if I put this deluxe release into a 2CD cardboard sleeve,
imitating the original 2LP sleeve and artwork ... then it would make
some sense to divide into parts 1&2 and 3&4.

But ofcourse you're right about adding bonustracks
right between part 2 and 3 (although Pipeline seems
to fit into part 2 somewhere). Maybe all bonustracks
could be on disc 2 after part 2 and 3 (rather short parts).

And maybe we could add First Excursion to Ommadawn,
together with In Dulci Jubilo (after all) Portsmouth and Argiers.
I would like to combine William Tell and Vivaldi on Incantations,
an album that has some kind of "classical music" appeal.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 04:40

Well First Excursion is more in keeping to the timeframe of Ommadawn,but I`d be happy enough if it was on Incantations no doubt...And yeah I can see the appeal of the 2 disc imitating the vinyl I agree,but it still wouldn`t stop me missing out the bonus stuff to get to part 3 as it were.Mmm at the end of the day it`d still be there if I wanted to go back to it I guess?

Who "owns" David Bedford`s Instructions For Angels these days,with Mike playing on it?..Would be the perfect companion along with First Excursion.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 07:02

I'll check my copy tonight Dirk.I would agree most definately!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 14:09

Just a good clean sound would do for me,it,s always sounded muffled and tinny to me.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 17:55

Id like Mike do a Edit Version of the Thing ie reducing the 4 sides to a 40-50 minute piece..  Just something to play when youre short of time but get the Best of the Album Sections condensed .. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 24 2009, 23:15

I think ultimately, what I'd want to do with Incantations would depend on whether I was planning on releasing a collection of B-sides and other such things. I think it's nice when the extra material sheds some light on the main album somehow.

Including First Excursion makes a lot of sense to me - that's where Mike first used the 'up a fifth, down a tone' pattern that Incantations was based on. That was then extended through Incantations into Guilty - another track which could be included to show that progression of ideas (perhaps in its 12" version to make things more interesting, though I guess by all rights, the 7" one should be included too for completeness...but then is that just a bit too much Guilty?).

I think that Making Way from Reflections would be a sensible addition too, if the rights can be sorted out; the same goes for the related section from The Space Movie.

I'm not sure whether there are plans for a stereo remix, but if there are, I'd say the original stereo mix should definitely be included as well.
More than that, I think it's about time someone released the original quadraphonic mix! They can do a new 5.1 mix as well if they really want, but the original's the one I'd really beg to have included.

Things like Pipe Tune, Wreckorder Wrondo and Cuckoo Song definitely ought to get put somewhere but I think if there was the possibility of releasing a separate album with those on, I'd possibly do that instead...possibly!
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 24 2009, 23:49

A remastered stereo mix, also 5.1 with the best known and loved tracks side 1 and a remix of less well known tracks side 2 sleeve notes, booklet on themes used and why, black cover with silver wisp across cover, sanskrit lettering, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 03:57

Er Making Way?Never heard of that.What's that about?

--------------
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 04:35

Due to Dirks remarks I've changed my tracklist.
I've put all the bonustracks on CD2.

First Excursion moves to Ommadawn.
And I left out Vivaldi in C ... would be too much perhaps.

Pipetune and Wrekorder Wrondo need an official CD release.
And a-sides as Cuckoo Song and The William Tell Ouverture
should be on any bonustracklist, because they complete te picture.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 04:59

:D Nice one Dazzler.Actualy Korgscrew`s comments kind of had me all turned round about the idea of it being here anyway.Plus there`s also a little guitar motif on First Excursion that Mike repeats verbatim during Woodhenge,on his next album.So you know it would kind of follow on a bit.Either way I`m more than happy to see it included anywhere,it`s one of my favourite tracks of his.

And as for the placement of the bonus tracks...Result!   :p
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 05:50

Would like to see a continuation of the back to black theme, purely aesthetic, each re issue black with its own motif or logo, not to mention the improved stereo content! would look slick as a collection on the cd shelf, continue with black theme, deb
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 06:29

Would have thought Vivaldi would have been on an earlier one.Never been sure when it was recorded but assumed from the Elements release it was earlier.Anyone know when it dates from cos i really am not sure but i agree it should go somewhere.I love the idea of First Excursion being here though as it's from the first batch of Througham recordings and Incantations was the first album recorded there.he does repeat the motiff in Woodhenge right at the end but with a really pronounced single repeat echo added.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 25 2009, 06:32

Guilty should be a necessary addition to a deluxe reissue, I think. I like the idea of a second CD with the extra tracks -- like The Cure did with their deluxe 80's albums reissues.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 07:26

@ Caveman..Making Way is a song that Mike later used as part of Incantations Part Four in instrumental form.So it would fit in well here.Vivaldi In C dates from 1976 I think originaly.Supposedly Mike recorded a few more of Vivaldi`s pieces from the same time period that still remain unreleased!?

General consensus so far would seem to indicate that Guilty would be better suited to Incantations rather than Platinum.I have to say that`s the way I`ve always felt about it as well.Surely it`s "Disco Incantations" is`nt it?..But in the wrong key..   :p
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 07:51

I thought Vivaldi in C was recorded in 1976.
In my imagination Mike could have played around
with the idea to record his own versions of classical "hits".

Remember The William Tell Ouverture (also from 1976).
That's the period where Mike was not releasing very much.
He might have been doing some re-sourcing by shifting through some classical themes
and modern composers. Just like he did with the traditionals before and after.

I think it makes sense because Incantations
definitely has a classical "approach", especially in part one.
I'd like to believe Incantations is also influenced by the work of Vangelis and Philip Glass
(Mike covered North Star on Platinum and used the same engineer as Philip Glass worked with).

I experience Incantations as some kind of four seasons album.
That's the Vivaldi link again.

Part one is spring (joyful strings - very classical) ..
Part two is summer (some Vangelis influences - indian song) ...
Part three is fall (with the first 8.40 minutes being my most favourite Mike Oldfield excerpt ever) ...
Part three is winter (with the icy, minimalistic approach) ...

All IMHO ofcourse ... but the four seasons link works for me.

ps. I put Guilty on Platinum because of the "disco" beat connection.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 08:57

That does make sense.I heard that the reason is was a double was because Mike felt guilty for not having released an album since Ommadown 3 years previously,but the Classical form of four movements seems to make more sense really.
 Guilty really does belong here though as it is based on the same ideas as Mike himself says in the interviews on the Essential.
 We're getting a pretty good bonus disc if we're going to put all the stuff recorded in 76 as there was a fair bit of it.I have heard rumours of other interpretations of classical peices ala William Tell and Vivaldi.And Wreckorder Wrondo needs to be on here too for that matter.

--------------
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 25 2009, 11:14

Quote (dazzler @ June 25 2009, 04:35)
Due to Dirks remarks I've changed my tracklist.
I've put all the bonustracks on CD2.

First Excursion moves to Ommadawn.
And I left out Vivaldi in C ... would be too much perhaps.

I've changed it again.
I can't fit First Excursion into Ommadawn.
Ommadawn is too folky ...

First Excursion is more avantgardistic.
So it makes more sense on Incantations (as I thought).
Maybe I put Vivalid in C back in the bonus tracklist.

@Caveman ... wasn't Guilty recorded with most of the musicians
Mike used on Platinum? Another reason why I would include it there.
Profile PM 
87 replies since June 23 2009, 17:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net