Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Re-recording the distorted Tubular Bell, information about this recording< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
reuben785 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2022, 06:59

Hey Everyone, I don't know why but I recently randomly remembered an interview in which Mike talks about re-recording the titular tubular bell a couple of years after the albums' release to record it without distortion and in doing so had to delete the original from the multitrack, I also noticed that this much less epic clean recording of the bell seems to be the version most readily available on streaming services rather than the original bell on the LP which I grew up listening to and loving, I found the article where Mike mentions this in Sound On Sound https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq....r-bells

this is what he said
Although it was distorted, that distortion was part of the whole effect. However, a couple of years later, some engineer who will remain nameless persuaded me to erase that hammer hit and replace it with a clean one which didn't work at all. To this day, the original tubular bell has been lost, due to that purist approach of avoiding all distortion, and I could really throttle that guy for insisting he knew best. The only place you can hear the original bell is on the two-track master; it's not on the multitrack anymore. As a result, what you hear on the 2009 remixed album is the quiet version that appeared about halfway through 'Part One', roughed up by me and blended with a sample of the two-track master, just to get a quarter of a second of that distortion on the edge of the bell. However, although it is harmonically correct, it's still not as good as the original.”

does anyone have links to anymore articles or links to any more information about this? Or know any more details of the session and who this nameless engineer may be? Any information and links to other articles or interviews would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 27 2022, 04:25

Hello reuben785 Welcome to the forum.

This is the first time I have heard about this, so I can't help. but I am sure there must be others around here who would know.
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: July 27 2022, 06:35

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I knew about the bells being re-recorded - but (typical) I can't remember where I heard about it or how I knew. Not helpful, I know. :)

For what it's worth, though, I prefer the re-recorded ones. Probably as this is what my ears initially got used to, listening to Boxed (my introduction to Mike). I remember when I first heard the original Tubular Bells mix I was shocked at how "small" the bells sounded - like a child's toy or something.
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2022, 18:16

A video called "The Story Of Mike Oldfield And The Missing Tubular Bell" appeared on youtube just ten days ago. It covers this topic. Coincidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8LTMHUFOV0
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2022, 21:07

Quote (oldfield_fan @ Aug. 09 2022, 18:16)
A video called "The Story Of Mike Oldfield And The Missing Tubular Bell" appeared on youtube just ten days ago. It covers this topic. Coincidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8LTMHUFOV0

So hard to concentrate on the subject matter...that wig and the PVC dress really are off-putting...Had to switch it off long before it got to the part in question.
Profile PM 
4 replies since July 26 2022, 06:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net