Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Prequel< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 14 2015, 19:43

Mike confirmed on BBC Radio 2 he is in the early stages of a Tubular Bells prequel album, that would be released in about 2 years, after the Islands, Earth Moving, Amarok, and Heaven's Open remixes. It would be instrumental, would try not to use digital instruments, sequencers or computer software, and might be released only on vinyl.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 14 2015, 20:21

This sounds pretty epic!

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: May 15 2015, 14:08

bells bells bells, no more bells, prequel sequel, what ever. on the other hand, i love TBII and TBIII, i just don't know :laugh:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: May 16 2015, 05:30

Having listened to the interview live, I got the distinct impression that the 'vinyl only' comment was tongue in cheek, more an aspiration than a concrete plan ...
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: May 16 2015, 05:56

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ May 16 2015, 06:30)
Having listened to the interview live, I got the distinct impression that the 'vinyl only' comment was tongue in cheek, more an aspiration than a concrete plan ...

Yeah, at the very least I'm sure that there'll be a digital download :)

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: May 16 2015, 14:05

A few months ago I though that yet another TB branded album was tongue in cheek too, so not taking any impression for granted anymore. :)

Speaking of album formats, I don't quite understand why rich artists don't release more downloads, bypassing record companies, just for the sake of their art, not seeking any marketing or distribution deal.
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: May 16 2015, 14:18

Yes, I think Caroline brought up the idea of a digital subscription service a while ago, but people seemed to be mostly against it, since they'd prefer to collect the physical releases.

But a vinyl only album? Yes, we shall see ;)

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: May 18 2015, 13:55

Selling it in Vinyl only, would certainly be one way to limit sales!

Can't see any record company wanting to limit sales.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: May 19 2015, 02:10

Release it only on vinyl first as a literally limited edition, and then digital (say, 30 years later ;)?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 19 2015, 04:43

If it has the words "Tubular Bells" in the title then the record company will get behind it big time, so it won't get a vinyl only release because the record company won't make enough money from that.
Profile PM 
mountie926 Offline

Posted: May 19 2015, 16:06

Well, Mike is in the early stages of the project. And it still might be a couple of years until it's finished.

I suppose until then we have to enjoy a couple of deluxe re-releases  :cool:
Profile PM 
kcarr292 Offline

Posted: May 21 2015, 14:50

I love the idea of a new full instrumental played by hand. It's what I've been waiting years to hear. What I don't get is the idea of a  Tubular Bells prequel.  What is a musical prequel anyway? I understand the concept of prequels in a narrative story fashion but not in a music sense.  I guess it may just be way of linking the new work up with the old for commercial gain.  Nothing wrong in making it pay financially but I'd prefer the new piece to be a standalone work with new ideas, themes etc that doesn't namecheck the TB brand.

Otherwise, bring it on!
Profile PM 
MrKeith Offline

Posted: May 22 2015, 04:19

Quote (kcarr292 @ May 21 2015, 19:50)
I love the idea of a new full instrumental played by hand. It's what I've been waiting years to hear. What I don't get is the idea of a  Tubular Bells prequel.  What is a musical prequel anyway? I understand the concept of prequels in a narrative story fashion but not in a music sense.  I guess it may just be way of linking the new work up with the old for commercial gain.  Nothing wrong in making it pay financially but I'd prefer the new piece to be a standalone work with new ideas, themes etc that doesn't namecheck the TB brand.

Otherwise, bring it on!

I don't believe that Mike has actually said the title of the project will name check Tubular Bells. I would prefer if it didn't.

I guess a musical prequel can be whatever Mike wants it to be. Long held but in-used tunes, going back to his routers. Surely one can tell a musical narrative- Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Incantations all have a rhythmic, stylistic profession. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: May 22 2015, 06:11

come to think of it, you could say Ommadawn/Amarok or something like that. Thinking that way it seems pretty breathtaking
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: May 30 2015, 09:49

It would be just epic, if this will be something similar to Amarok!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 06 2015, 16:14

It is really interesting, going back to pre-80 instruments and techniques.  Steven Wilson did that with The Raven that Refused to Sing (even brought in Alan Parsons as associate producer) and Daniel Gildenlow/Pain of Salvation has done that as well in recent years .  So for our Maestro, it will be a cool project and hopefully epic. I would hope for vinyl as well as digital and perhaps packaging like Steven Wilson's new Hand. Cannot. Erase. deluxe-thoughtfully constructed and very impressive.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
15 replies since May 14 2015, 19:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net