Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: A national treasure?, Perception of Mike in the UK< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
qcfoetus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 06 2022, 14:21

To me, Mike has been one of the world's most influential musicians of the 20th century. Not being from the UK, though, I'd be curious to ask our UK friends: Is he regarded as a national treasure in his home country? Him being labelled "uncool" by some media would suggest the answer is no, yet the fact he was invited to play at the 2012 Olympics could point to the contrary. What do you think?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2022, 20:43

A national treasure? Yikes - that would mean he's in the same category as Australia's Elizabeth Jolley  :O
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2022, 11:29

Has he really been that influental?

I'm not so sure. Where do you hear his influence today?

I think the way he composes and plays the guitar is a thing of the past, as is the case with everything else i love! :P

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2022, 21:01

When I visited the Bahamas virtually everyone I spoke to knew of him. As for being a national treasure, if he persists in his current state of inactivity he'll be declared a national goldbrick  :laugh:
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2022, 03:08

I thought the same when Mike was invited to play at the Olympics though I am not from the UK either. Throughout my life it's generally been the Brits I've met who knew who I was raving on about. :)

To my ears it's a very British kind of sound. At least it was for the first 10 years or so. Perhaps living overseas for tax reasons might have muddied the situation? I'm sure he's not the only one who did that though.

I'll always consider Mike a national treasure of the UK anyway.
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 08 2022, 08:05

Quote (First_Excursion @ Jan. 08 2022, 03:08)
To my ears it's a very British kind of sound.

To mine too! It echoes Britain of today and Britain of the far past (as in Incantations etc.)

Quote (larstangmark @ Jan. 07 2022, 11:29)
Has he really been that influental?

I'm not so sure. Where do you hear his influence today?

I'm not sure he has been very influential either... He has definitely influenced the lives of his devoted listeners, but what about other artists? Certainly one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century for me, but also influential? I don't know.

Of course he is a national treasure! I don't know if many Brits know that.

Btw, any Brit here?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Jan. 10 2022, 02:51

I am British, and for me he is a national treasure, that title is subjective of course, but he might have falling out of the minds of people here because he no longer lives here, and has been so quiet for years now, he has been very influential on me, along with Mark Knopfler, he is the reason I learned to play guitar, his approach to the instrument is unique, and wonderful, he will always be remembered by the casual listener for Tubular Bells, In Dulci Jubilo, Blue Peter, Moonlight Shadow for example. I would love to see him get more recognition for his life's work though.
Profile PM 
ShakC Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2022, 03:53

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Jan. 10 2022, 02:51)
I am British, and for me he is a national treasure, that title is subjective of course, but he might have falling out of the minds of people here because he no longer lives here, and has been so quiet for years now, he has been very influential on me, along with Mark Knopfler, he is the reason I learned to play guitar, his approach to the instrument is unique, and wonderful, he will always be remembered by the casual listener for Tubular Bells, In Dulci Jubilo, Blue Peter, Moonlight Shadow for example. I would love to see him get more recognition for his life's work though.

In America, just for Tubular Bells and the Hall & Oates cover of 'Family Man'.
Profile PM 
7 replies since Jan. 06 2022, 14:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net