Far above the clouds 45  [39.47%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Best TB III track, will it be a whitewash??< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Bell(end) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 12:25

For me it's between Outcast and TOTM, however I would just like to say that none of the track titles are particularly interesting or to do with the music are they? Very dull and unoriginal names IMO.  :/

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 15:47

I think Jewel In The Crown is pretty good as track titles go. Admittedly as a title is has little to do with the music. Top Of The Morning isn't amongst my favourite track titles, but I do find it oddly descriptive of the track. The rest aren't all that good.

Voted for TOTM, btw.
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 16:19

well done! Yes I agree, top of the morning is my favourite title their because it makes me daydream whilst the piano plays so sweetly!  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 17:29

Far Above The Clouds is a perfect title because I feel like my feet are of the ground when listening to it! its also the best track on the album. My other favourites are= All the rest!
I really cant name a bad piece but The Inner Child surely isnt suitable for all moods.
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 08 2005, 17:43

The Top of the Morning.  Shame they didn't play it on his 1999 tour (the only one I've attended)... :(

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 04:58

What's the track with the piano riff called?  I really like that one.

But, and Sir M will shoot me for this, I like listening to Man In The Rain best.  Yeah, I know it's a pale echo of Moonlight Shadow....but I guess most of TBIII isn't exactly my cup of tea.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 10:33

Top Of The Morning is the only one I can really listen to, but it still bothers me with its "soundtrack for a sad Hollywood drama movie where a guy dies of cancer" piano chords in the chorus.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 10:45

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 09 2005, 15:33)
Top Of The Morning is the only one I can really listen to, but it still bothers me with its "soundtrack for a sad Hollywood drama movie where a guy dies of cancer" piano chords in the chorus.

not as bad as some of Rick Wakemans piano tunes, the soundtrack to a disaster  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 10:53

Top of the morning is great but i would like to hear it done with a synthesizer sound instead of piano just to see if it has as much energy, this track is very upbeat IMO  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 11:37

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Aug. 09 2005, 10:53)
Top of the morning is great but i would like to hear it done with a synthesizer sound instead of piano just to see if it has as much energy, this track is very upbeat IMO  :)

Is Top Of The Morning the one with the piano riff?

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 12:10

yes Jules. The jolly piano riff, sounds great doesn't it?  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2005, 17:31

'far above the clouds' has got big energy, but my favourite in this album is 'serpent dream', he's once more brilliant with the spanish guitar and i like it also because the transition he makes from 'outcast' is perfect. i love how he goes crazy, filling my head with powerful metallic sounds of the electric guitars and then clears everything for a wooden dream.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 06:41

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Aug. 09 2005, 12:10)
yes Jules. The jolly piano riff, sounds great doesn't it?  :)

That riff frickin' rules, my man!

:cool:

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 10:58

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Aug. 09 2005, 15:53)

I think that would ruin it...

I'd prefer to hear more new material, like Light and Shade will be, not like Tubular Bells 2003 was.  TBIII may hark back to the previous instalments, but it's still new music.  TB2003 was just the same music, re-done.  TTOTM on a different instrument would be the same - I don't like rehashes of old tracks!!

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 12:59

Quote (Moz @ Aug. 10 2005, 15:58)
I think that would ruin it...

I'd prefer to hear more new material, like Light and Shade will be, not like Tubular Bells 2003 was.  TBIII may hark back to the previous instalments, but it's still new music.  TB2003 was just the same music, re-done.  TTOTM on a different instrument would be the same - I don't like rehashes of old tracks!!

jeez man, that's not what I meant, I wasn't asking for TBIII 2005!  :(

I just meant if a fan did the tune in synthesizer it could sound cool  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2005, 16:46

I listened to it all again this morning (before settling on 'Far above the clouds' for my vote), and was again struck by how autobiographical some parts seem to be. I think 'Man in the Rain' as a pastiche of 'Moonlight Shadow' is clever and very deliberate. Mike, I presume, is the Man in the Rain, and the musical memory of Moonlight Shadow neatly links that idea with an important episode from his past.

'The Inner Child' is, I feel sure, the result of a fundamental and important, deeply felt enhancement of his understanding of himself. And in 'Far above the clouds' he seems to be making a kind of statement about the lifetime importance of the Tubular Bells discovery for him. Some of us may grumble about the many versions of Tubular Bells, but he's saying: 'It doesn't matter what you think. I know what I know.'

I wonder if the reason that the album as a whole doesn't quite work as well as I'd like is because these things are so very important to him. The inner child realisation is of such intensity that he tries just a bit too hard to make the music overwhelming and it becomes a bit top heavy. With Far above the Clouds I guess he feels so deeply about the importance of the Tubular Bells discovery that the music gets just a bit too grand for its own good, as he tries to express that importance. I think it's the most powerful track, and I wouldn't want to be without it, but even so, I feel there's something slightly too over-the-top about it.

But the album catches my sympathy because of these perhaps overly personal not-quite-successes. I want to nod to him and say - OK, I see. You've been places I can't go and seen things I can't see, and I'm glad you gave us the chance not only to share some of that through all those other albums, but also to remember some of it with you through this TB3 album, and feel something of how you feel about it all.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 06:50

I have to say Far Above the Clouds, especially the encore version from Horse Guards Parade. I just feel so much energy from this track. The ultimate concert finisher! It's the one I'd be screaming for him to play, anyway.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 08:49

Quote (Alan D @ Aug. 10 2005, 16:46)
And in 'Far above the clouds' he seems to be making a kind of statement about the lifetime importance of the Tubular Bells discovery for him.

With Far above the Clouds I guess he feels so deeply about the importance of the Tubular Bells discovery that the music gets just a bit too grand for its own good

Alan - what exactly do you mean by the Tubular Bells "discovery"?

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 08:55

Jules, I think he means when Mike found out how much energy Tubular bells could add to his music, I don't know how he found out about them or why he originally experimented with them but I'm sure once he had, he realised they could be influential in getting an excellent finale, which of course they were!  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Aug. 11 2005, 09:31

Quote (familyjules @ Aug. 11 2005, 13:49)
Alan - what exactly do you mean by the Tubular Bells "discovery"?

Jules

I mean more than just the 'effect' of tubular bells that TB(E) suggests.

I think there's a really profound symbolism in the whole of the Tubular Bells concept for Mike. It's partly visual - that shape, the triangular bell, is part of it. And of course it's mainly musical - certain aspects of the music - the starting sequence of notes with its variations, for instance. In Far Above the Clouds he keeps reminding us of that rapid sequence (bass guitar, is it?) that we hear towards the countdown close of TB part 1, that eventually culminates in the chimes of the tubular bells.

Now I think this whole thing - particular sequences of notes, combined with the visual image and audio impact of the bell - was a personal discovery of Mike's. It's as if he dove into the pool of his unconscious and came up clutching this golden shining thing - this audio/visual symbol and it somehow offered a kind of personal talisman. That's why he keeps revisiting it in so many different ways. Because for him it's a source of inner life - it's something that empowers him, that he can draw sustenance from. That whole concept is what I mean by the Tubular Bells 'discovery'.
Profile PM 
75 replies since Aug. 08 2005, 12:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net