Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Shoal< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
EeToN Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 04 2004, 18:49

Actually, this track doesn't have much to do with Mike but maybe some of you will like it. It's a part of one of my projects called 'Marine'.

Shoal

If you have any thoughts, advices in connection with it, please tell me. :)

EDIT: Now it's available through the following link: Shoal (Remix)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 04 2004, 23:31

WOW! This is exactly the kind of synth stuff I love! Very similar to the Prisms stuff I posted earlier. It's JMJ-ish too. Though it's the kind of sound I would have rather heard JMJ make. Great job! The only thing I'm complaining about is that it's too short!! ;) If you're making any more songs like this please keep me posted!!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2004, 23:38

This is quite well done. I love the little repeating motifs and their variations, and the mild dissonances are pulled-off well.

I do think the ending is a bit abrupt, though, perhaps even a second or two more worth of fade-out would help.

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 04 2004, 23:57

I was wondering...is this a MOD? Some of the way it sounds sounds like MOD effects and how MODs play instruments.

It also sounds like this song: http://www.modarchive.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi?L/lcm.xm

Not that I'm accusing you of ripping something, but it's also a similar style and I love both songs. :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2004, 07:15

Very good work. I liked the choice of synth sounds and extra effects put in

At times the drums felt like they were masked by all the pad sounds going on. You could possibly try adjusting the EQ on the rhythm tracks so that there are fewer high and mid frequencies

I'm with the others on the abrupt ending. It could go on for another five minutes and I'd still be happy. You could try dropping out the tracks to create a better sense of the ending

I used to write music in MOD format when I was 9! I could only use scratchy 8-bit samples on my Amiga computer. Unfortunately none of those tracks survived.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2004, 08:42

Thanks for your kind comments! :)

The only thing I'm complaining about is that it's too short!! ;)

Yes, it's also my problem. But I haven't finished anything for a year so I decided to take it as a finished work. ;)

If you're making any more songs like this please keep me posted!!

Actually, on 'Marine' this is the most "rhythmical" track though e.g. 'Fish-Dance' and 'Underwater Bell' are of course similar in a way (these tracks are available on my SoundClick page).

I do think the ending is a bit abrupt, though, perhaps even a second or two more worth of fade-out would help.

I really had problems with it and I see that it's not perfect even now. But if it's not the real ending then this is not a big problem. :)

I was wondering...is this a MOD?

It's not exactly a MOD because that format had some limits - maximum 4 tracks at the same time... There is a moment in Shoal where 72 tracks are used. But you're right that it was made with a tracker, namely Impulse Tracker. I know this is an old technique but I'm very used to it and I don't find the same possibility of giving the exact sounding of every sound in sequencers... or they're unhandy - to me.

It also sounds like this song:...

To be honest, this track seems to lack one of the most important things in my opinion - progressing and going somewhere. But anyway as a base it would be good.

At times the drums felt like they were masked by all the pad sounds going on. You could possibly try adjusting the EQ on the rhythm tracks so that there are fewer high and mid frequencies

Thanks for the advice!

It could go on for another five minutes and I'd still be happy.

Me too, but I don't see at the moment how it could be progressing farther and (for the present) there are too few secondary subjects to fill the track up with. But I'll find out something. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Nov. 05 2004, 12:27

It's not exactly a MOD because that format had some limits - maximum 4 tracks at the same time... There is a moment in Shoal where 72 tracks are used. But you're right that it was made with a tracker, namely Impulse Tracker.

Well yeah but I still call them all MODs. Not exactly a .MOD file but the same principle. All my MODs a are .ITs as well :). I used Impulse Tracker until I found MODPlug Tracker for windows which I've suddenly grown accustomed to so I make all my .ITs with that. It's the best format. As many channels as you want you can have. I've never heard as good samples as what you used for this song, though!

To be honest, this track seems to lack one of the most important things in my opinion - progressing and going somewhere. But anyway as a base it would be good.

Oh, I agree. I only meant that it was similar in the way you created your chord progression. I think it was kind of the point of the song anyway to just go on and on like that forever. I made an extended version, actually, a while back for fun. Still loops but there's more variety. Check it out: http://smc.sq7.org/miscfile/brandon/loop-cycle_motion_extended.it

Congrats again!

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2004, 10:15

I used Impulse Tracker until I found MODPlug Tracker for windows which I've suddenly grown accustomed to so I make all my .ITs with that.

I have MODPlug Tracker, too, but it has a huge problem - it can't extract samples directly from other MODs. Furthermore I managed to persuade Impulse Tracker to run under WinXP. :) I only use MODPlug Tracker for additional mixing - and for converting MODs to MIDIs.

I made an extended version

It's definitely better now. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Nov. 06 2004, 13:14

Quote (EeToN @ Nov. 06 2004, 10:15)
I have MODPlug Tracker, too, but it has a huge problem - it can't extract samples directly from other MODs.

What do you mean? I did it all the time. You just go to samples and save them as wavs. Or am I missing something?

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2004, 14:56

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Nov. 06 2004, 19:14)
What do you mean? I did it all the time. You just go to samples and save them as wavs. Or am I missing something?

You can save them as wavs but that's not direct extracting as in IT where you can go inside a track and if you hit ENTER the sample is immediately in your song. :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Nov. 06 2004, 18:01

Ah yes I remember that from IT now..:)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Dec. 19 2004, 01:39

Forgive me EeToN, but I liked this tune so much I recorded some guitar over it. I don't know if it adds to it or not but it was sure fun :).

http://smc.sq7.org/miscfile/brandon/shoal_guitar.ogg

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Dec. 19 2004, 08:15

Wow! It was a great idea, it sounds great! Thank you! :) I should also learn to play the guitar. :)

(To be also a bit critical: the guitar overshadows the other sounds a bit too much to my ears - though it's not surely a problem. ;))

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Dec. 19 2004, 13:45

Yeah it is overpowering...I'm notorious for doing that lol. Thanks, though.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2004, 20:43

Well, I made a (hopefully) more balanced version, with more bass and not that much guitar. :) And to me the previous version was too much compressed, the very high sounds weren't clear, that's also corrected.

Shoal

Though it's still far from perfect, I'll probably make another version with more modifications.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Dec. 30 2004, 13:12

Sorry I haven't replied my internet's been down since boxing day. Grrrr...

Great job! Definitely flows a lot better now. Congrats! :)

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Dec. 30 2004, 18:41

Thanks! :) Unfortunately at the moment I don't have time to deal more with it.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Dec. 30 2004, 22:38

That's ok it still sounds just fine the way it is.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2004, 07:31

Well, the music is clearer in my head. ;)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2022, 18:05

To close the loop here, a much improved version of Shoal and its remix that features Brandon's re-recorded guitar playing is now available on my new album Submersion which can be listened to in its entirety on my Bandcamp page. I hope you'll enjoy it.  :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
21 replies since Nov. 04 2004, 18:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net