Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: The Beacon Guest House - Info?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 13 2010, 09:22

Apologies if this appears elsewhere on the forums but does anyone have any information on The Beacon (Hergest Ridge) and if it is still a guest house do you know where to find info on who to book through and what the tariffs are etc?

Many Thanks
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 17 2010, 04:24

I don't think it's a geust house anymore.Seem to remember reading somewhere on here that it was now a private house again.You could always check by going to the Kington Tourist info site.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: June 17 2010, 07:00

Thanks - yes i managed to find an email address for the person who ran The Beacon, and they said they moved out a few years back!
Never mind.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 17 2010, 08:32

Ah well.Plenty of other places to stay in Kington so at least you could go see The Beacon even if you can't stay there.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2011, 14:32

In the early stages of planning a trip to Kington, and here's something that suggests a Beacon stay is not entering the realms of fantasy again.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Vacatio....nd.html

...and also...

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/kington/145097

I can't remember seeing a mention of The Beacon's status since I joined but it would seem that a part of a re-development is available for self-catering holidays, and advertised since November and December last year.  The holiday season is not yet begun so no reviews to help us out, and the Tourist Information Centre's website has no mention of it yet.  They don't open til Easter but I'll give the contact details a go to find out if they just haven't fully updated for the year ahead.  I have no dates fixed yet so I would merely be tantalising the owner at this stage!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2011, 16:35

Hummm...sounds really,really interesting...a great place to a retreat...been there last year,but now that you can stay at The Beacon,it's another experience!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 15:10

My e-mail has kindly been answered and I can expect another.

"Thank you for your Email. This is just to say that The Beacon has never advertised with our tourist group so unfortunately I cannot advise you about availability but will make enquiries in town and send on any information I can find.
"

As an expert of some four days ( ! ) I know that Kington's is a volunteer-run Tourist Information Centre and it is perhaps just an oversight on the owner's part that he has not yet sought them out himself.

I might get some family to stay with me depending on dates - they'll likely blackmail me into going to the YHA for just a couple of days if I'm staying by myself!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 13 2011, 20:13

The beacon sounds like a nice place to stay.

:D
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 17 2011, 07:13

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Mar. 10 2011, 20:10)
My e-mail has kindly been answered and I can expect another.

"Thank you for your Email. This is just to say that The Beacon has never advertised with our tourist group so unfortunately I cannot advise you about availability but will make enquiries in town and send on any information I can find.
"

As an expert of some four days ( ! ) I know that Kington's is a volunteer-run Tourist Information Centre and it is perhaps just an oversight on the owner's part that he has not yet sought them out himself.

I might get some family to stay with me depending on dates - they'll likely blackmail me into going to the YHA for just a couple of days if I'm staying by myself!

To which email address(es) have you sent for a query on The Beacon to have this reply?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 11:11

Hello, Tati, our paths have eventually crossed!  I saw your question yesterday, but all computers were busy.

I used the contact details on Kington Tourist Information Centre's website: the e-mail was to contact@kingtontourist.info and Maureen Wright was kind enough to send the reply I posted.  I was waiting for the next contact before I posted further but can report one update.  The links on my original post now show that stays for weekends and individual weeknights are being offered as well.  I still can't confirm my holiday dates for the year ahead, but maybe this opens opportunities for yourselfand others.

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 18 2011, 13:23

Sounds great news to me,I'll try then to organise and go - some inspiration for my PhD write-up sessions.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 28 2011, 13:34

Well, that's me off to Kington.  It's via Cornwall, but I'll be at The Beacon for the latter part of the week - ridge and hill walking can be expected!   I'll have my trusty phone with me, but as I can't trust it to get pictures onto the web, and reception will be whatever it is, please don't expect a full colour daily update ;)   I might have another go at joining Flikr though, in case anything remarkable comes into view - the onset of a thunderstorm or Martians maybe.  Happy holidays whenever next they fall for you! :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2011, 16:07

As I told you, don't forget to watch the DVD I left over there early September!
:cool:

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 02 2011, 11:22

Thanks again, Yannick - will do!  As I mentioned to you, and for any future visitors, I may leave a small souvenir behind myself.

On a related subject, I'm approaching Hereford by train from the south as I finish this post.  With what the AA says it is from Hereford Railway Station to Kington Golf Club, that means it's, erm... 24 miles to The Beacon?

thankyouverymuch - I'm here all week :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 

Posted: July 26 2012, 11:42

It's been a while since I checked on the current status of The Beacon, but I've found a decent couple of pages about it generally.  The second link may indeed shine an intriguing light on some of our members here.  Anyone want to admit to anything? :D  :D  :D

http://www.hiddenhousehistory.co.uk/househi....Id=4648

http://www.planetpropertyblog.co.uk/2012....ldfield

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
akd Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2015, 16:52

A room to let with some history? Room to Let
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 25 2015, 20:00

I'd no idea how current that was when I saw it recently but now that the linking's done, it. seems like a good moment to point out how a couple of features have changed since my stay there.  The bed for a start...

And this was the bathroom in 2011.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98571791@N06/

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
16 replies since June 13 2010, 09:22 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net