...when they are repetitive (always the same tune). 2  [7.14%]
...when the singer just shouts. 5  [17.86%]
...when the singer whispers. 0  [0.00%]
Others (please specify below) 9  [32.14%]
Never! 0  [0.00%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vocals irritate me when..., (a poll on unbearable vocals)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2008, 20:06

Spurred by another topic- which I was sort-of turning around (or at least I tried to) by mentioning a very different kind of irritating vocals from the one mentioned at the topic's start - here's a poll for you all: what kind of vocals are the most irritating to you, limiting to rock and pop music (and so excluding classical/opera vocals)? Is there any particular vocalist that really annoys you? I know of a particular female vocalist which used to annoy Alan D - shame he doesn't post here any longer... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 06:42

People who have a tendancy to go up and down the scales all the time are way up there for me.Mainly women as well I suppose.So people like Mariah Carey,Celine Dion,Whitney Houston etc...I`m like..."Take out the bloody love eggs and sing it properly for pity`s sakes"..Second to those guys are a lot of those Male Heavy/AOR types particularly from the 80`s I guess.All that.. "We`ve gotta` hoarghld on to what we`ve got"sock trousered bravado sort of thing.Barry Palmer is probably just about "under the wire" for me,but I`m still wincing through certain passages if you know what I mean!?

Mmmm what else is there?..Oh Modern R n`B vocalists I find incredibly irritating for the most part.."My Umbrella..ella..ella..into infinity.Jesus wept even The Crazy frog was`nt as annoying as that thing.And then there`s a lot of your more recent Heavy/Emo types as well I`m not too keen on most of those guys either.It`s like that old Neil Iness joke with most of those people for me..."I`ve suffered for my music now it`s your turn".That guy out of My Chemical Romance is probably the epitomy of that I suppose.That said I`m not completely adverse to people with that whole "tortured soul" thing going on.So people like Robert Smith,Morrisey,Thom Yorke I`m ok with to an extent,so maybe that one`s not as clear cut for me?

The lead singer of Nickleback now he really grates on me big time I have to say.I mean that guy should have a category all to himself imo.And then anyone who sounds remotely like the lead singer of Pantera they`ve gotta be thrown into the mix for me also.Except old Lemmy of course,and Jaz Coleman.You know at least those dudes put some "personality" into their shouting...Mmmm and now for some purely random irritations..Axl Rose.James Blunt.Joe Dolce.Dolly Parton.Fish.That bloke out The Darkness.The guy out of The Barenaked Ladies.Simon Le Bon.David Lee Roth(especialy on that I Ain`t Got No Body thing..Just shoot me now"..The guy out of Roxette.The girl out of Roxette.Anybody who has ever sang on any recording by the band Roxette..Ever!..Max Bygraves.Orville The Duck.That kid who sang "It`s Horrible Being In Love When You`re 8 And A Half".Rod Jane & Freddy.And the warbly one out The Dooleys...

A couple of vocalists that I found really irritating at first and then grew to like were...Bjork while she was still in The Sugarcubes.And this lady.I think the thing is that despite all the aforementioned nonsense here.If I can find something in the music/song/piece that I do like.Then even if I`m not particularly keen on the vocal at first I`ll normaly grow to like it over repeated listens.Where as conversely if I don`t like what I`m hearing at all no matter what.Then any kind of personal bias I may have just becomes magnified for me.Of course there are other ways of getting over irritating vocals,, ;)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 07:12

Ugo, I can't stand Bob Dylan's vocals. Frank Zappa did a very amusing Dylan parody on his Sheik Yerbouti album. It's perhaps just as well as AlanD isn't on the forum any more, as he'd think I was targeting him again for criticizing Dylan!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 07:43

@ Dirk: it goes without saying that I don't share your opinion on most of the names you mentioned, but of course it's your own opinion and we all live in democratic countries, don't we? :) Only on one I do agree... Joanna Newsom. She sounds like a child playing a toy instrument and singing with her child's voice. Heck, she's 26 but she sounds like she's eight. At least to me. ;)

@ nightspore: yes, I remember about Alan's almost-unconditioned admiration for Dylan. I too don't like his voice, which prevents me from appreciating his songs (there are a few I do like, however). The vocalist that Alan couldn't stand is Loreena McKennitt. Useless to say, I like her a lot. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:15

:laugh: Loreeena McKennit ha ha I never would`ve guessed it.Sorry Ugo I`m with Alan on that one..Also I kind of like Joanna Newsom now although I would`nt dis-agree with your description of her voice I guess.Same goes for Bob Dylan as well although I`m not a huge fan of his admittedly.

Sheik Yer Boutti now that brings back memories..I actualy forgot which track contained that Dylan parody till I just looked it up there..It`s Flakes is`nt it?..Yeah it was pretty amusing I agree especialy in the context of the song.And strangely enough I already inadvertantly mentioned another sort of "Dylan parody" in my first post here..By a certain Bob Nylon in fact... ;)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:30

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 03 2008, 14:15)
By a certain Bob Nylon in fact... ;)

Hahahahahahahaha... :laugh: :laugh: Even if I didn't get all the lyrics, this is soooo funny... especially for a 'new' fan of Monty Python (etc.) like me. The biggest laugh I had during the song was on the second chorus, when he tries to get that high note and he cannot, of course, so he plunges back into the lower octave... my gosh, it's hilarious. Sounds like a tape slowing down and then suddenly back to normal... LOL. :)

Thanks a lot for sharing this clip. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:37

I don't really think there's a specific "formula" of vocals that irritates me; I don't mind monotonous vocals when the song asks for it (e.g. Kraftwerk), I don't mind wild pyrotechnics if it's Liz Frazer doing it (Carolyn's Fingers, anyone?)... I guess the closest it gets is to "when the singer only shouts". I mean, a song that demands the singer to shout constantly might be doing something wrong.

Overall, though, I agree about the Mariah Carey types who have to sing those looo-oo-oo-OOO-wooOOOooOooOoOOooOOo-wowowoaa-ooOOOOOOOoOOoOo-o-oo-ooo-ong syllables just to make the crowd go wild. That's just silly. And I also hate it when the vocals have to be 300x louder than anything else, and it's even worse when the song starts all out rocking into hyperspace, and then EVERYTHING goes away just so we can hear even the sound of the singer's face muscles contracting. That's one reason why Clocks is one of my least favourite Coldplay songs. (Tone Burst, by Stereolab, is a notable exception, since it's obvious they were only pulling off an obvious gimmick when they reduce the master volume of the instrumental track for Lætitia Sadier's vocals to come in. And they appear halfway through the track and last for about a minute, anyway)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:41

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 03 2008, 10:42)
People who have a tendancy to go up and down the scales all the time are way up there for me.Mainly women as well I suppose.So people like Mariah Carey,Celine Dion,Whitney Houston etc...I`m like..."Take out the bloody love eggs and sing it properly for pity`s sakes"..Second to those guys are a lot of those Male Heavy/AOR types particularly from the 80`s I guess.All that.. "We`ve gotta` hoarghld on to what we`ve got"sock trousered bravado sort of thing.Barry Palmer is probably just about "under the wire" for me,but I`m still wincing through certain passages if you know what I mean!?

I have to agree with you on that Mick.  I generally think Black women have great singing vioces. I used to think Claire Torrey who did the vocals on Pink Floyd's The Great Gig In The Sky was black until I saw a picture of her. People in the world of rock and pop who annoy me Jon Anderson, I can't stand what I call high pitched sqeaky men. About Yes I like the odd track, I've given my boyfriend a challenge to try and convert me into a Yes fan.  I did'nt use to like Geddy Lee from Rush, I like  their music, but I've got more into Rush with time.     Axl Rose, I used to love Guns n Roses when I was 18/19 and about 11 years ago I heard "Appetite For Destruction" at a party and I thought how terrible the album is , Bjork I find really annoying too    :p .
Since Nightspore mentioned Bob Dylan, I do like Dylan, but I think on some of his more depressing tracks I do find his voice a bit lugubrious, only thing I dislike about Dylan really,I really  do like his more fast   paced numbers such as "like A Rollin' Stone" and "Subterrainean Home Sick Blues"    :cool: , I'll let you know if I think of anymore.
I agree with you Dirk about Max Bygraves and Orville the Duck , and also the kid who did "It's Horrible Being In Love When You're Eight and a Half" since you mentioned them, add to that St Winnifred's School Choir, who did "Grandma I Love You"    :p .
I'm currently listening to Queen but I've got that GILY song in my head now WAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I agree with Ugo I do miss Alan's posting on here, I do hope he returns, as there was many an intelligent and lively debate on here.  Anyone wish to join the Alan D Appreciation Society?? To try and persuade him to come back.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:49

I really, really like Björk, though slightly more as a composer than as a singer; but what I like the best about her singing is how she eschews "conventional" methods; e.g. she rarely uses vibrato, and yet, somehow her voice sounds every bit as flexible as those from the ones who use it constantly. And, well, her ahh-ksent, so refresheng!

And this: http://bjorkchair.ytmnd.com/

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:56

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 03 2008, 14:49)
And this: http://bjorkchair.ytmnd.com/

Hehehehehehehehe... :laugh:... this is supposed to be 'yeah', isn't it? :D I can't recall where this is from, right now, but I've surely heard this song a jillion times. And yes, I agree with you about her weird-but-nice akkh-sent. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 08:56

Unless it falls into the very narrow range of music I like, it's all irritating: Rap, Metal, Country(the friggin' worst), Pop, it all sucks.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 09:06

@ Scatterplot: just out of curiosity, what would this very narrow range be, apart (of course) from Mike Oldfield? ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 11:52

The synthetically altered voice, such as - Cher's, 'Believe' -do you beliieevve in life after love....  

:(

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 12:37

All vocals irritate the hell out of me - infact I hate all voices too, manmade or from animal or artificial...all of you...shut your stinkin trap!!! - I also hate noises and sounds, - a car going by, music in the elevator, a fucking child crying, a dog barking,  a movie on the television, a leaf falling to the ground...SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!!
- I want total silence in the world - except for music made by Mike Oldfield (except light & shade which I regard as pantherpiss)    :laugh:
I was serious....SHUT UP!!    :cool:
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 14:53

I wonder how pantherpiss sounds like.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 15:17

Just listened to Tears Of a Panther and must admit I have some piss in my eye.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 16:03

I think I'm gonna let Prisoner Of The Dark Sky answer that question, because it sounds so perfect. The stuff I like is mostly old or defunct people like English Art Rock bands, Some jazzy stuff like JL Ponty, Pat Metheny. Some get-down American stuph like Steppenwolf, Steely Dan, but their all gettin' old, dropping like flies...Rick Wright just joined the list. A lot of older stuff like the Doors, Zep, etc. that I once liked, bores me now from simple over use. Take the Moody Blues(please). I used to adore their ass. Yeah right Jim, what are they friggin' siamese quintuplets with one collective ass?? But now they bore me. The old pre-reunion albums up to and including 7th Sojourn were poorly recorded. Jeez, they must have used tape decks with re-lapped heads. "The Day We Meet Again" I still love. Hayward got cornier the older he got, but as it stands, I guess he would be my fav. vocalist. Can't believe these guys still tour like a GD jukebox lookin' the way they do. Did Ray Thomas die? Don't see his face on their web site. Well, I'm with prisoner, just shut up. Unless its Deep Purple "Space Truckin'", I wanna hear that right now..........No, Grand Funk "Black Licorice"..............

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 16:12

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 03 2008, 08:56)
Hehehehehehehehe... :laugh:... this is supposed to be 'yeah', isn't it? :D I can't recall where this is from, right now, but I've surely heard this song a jillion times. And yes, I agree with you about her weird-but-nice akkh-sent. :)

It's from Human Behaviour, the very first track from her very first post-Sugarcubes album, Debut. I'm not sure if it's supposed to mean anything - Björk often sings those odd syllables that, at times, sound like Icelandic (like in The Modern Things), and at other times, sounds like strangely pleasant gibberish. I didn't search much about it so I can't say for sure, but I'm prone to believe she might have invented the precursor to Sigur Rós's "Hopelandic".

Yet, I always try hard not to think of that YTMND when I listen to Human Behaviour - the song is just too cool for me to laugh at it. :)

PS: Talk about Sigur Rós, there's this one. :D

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 16:28

@ Sir M., re. the Sigur Rós sneeze:  :laugh:  :laugh:
(By the way, what does YTMND stand for?)

@ Jim: Deep Purple's "Space Truckin'" and all the rest of that album (Machine Head) - great stuff. Just great. I love old (1970s) DP, I hate anything they did later than 1985 - although I must admit that the contemporary rendition of Jon Lord's Concerto for Group and Orchestra, and the Bananas album, are quite good. :)

@ wiga: I agree about "Believe" - nice song, 'orrible vocals. "So sa-a-a-ad that you're leaving / It takes ti-i-i-ime to believe it..." - yuck! :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2008, 16:32

Speaking of panther piss.....true story. In 1986 a freind of mine used to loan me his ARP-AXXE synth in exchange for my spare VCR. Somehow I found this chick who was into video production at a local cable channel. She needed sound FX to go with her video about some guy who was a freaked out vet from Vietnam. She wanted to rip off Apocalypse Now and have a ceiling fan going, but make it sound like helicopters. So I made her helicopters. Tweeked the filter, LFO, etc. to make it come to you from a distance. Or hover. Or slowly go away. But one scene was a guy taking a squirt against the side of a bus. So I got the liquid sound just right, but varied the filter 'n stuff to make it sound like it was bouncing off metal, then rubber(tire), etc. and kept varying the effect. Filled up a side of a C-60 cassette with just peeing. Some time after that video was done, my freind who owned the ARP played the 30 minute piss at a party. We all laughed our asses off.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
73 replies since Oct. 02 2008, 20:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net