Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Chitchat about Oldfield..., ...on the jarre.net forum.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tellur Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 13 2003, 13:51

They're chatting about Mike on the jarre.net forum. And what a good chat it is! It seems that most fans of Jean Michel Jarre seem to like Mike Oldfield as well, despite the fact that they tend to venerate Jarre and Jarre only. So what will we see next? TUBUGENE or OXYBELLS :-)? Check it out.

Kind Regards,
Tellur.

<a href="http://www.jarre.net" target="_blank">jarre.net</a>
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2003, 16:02

I would agree with you about Jarre fans being narrow minded. I've looked at some of those chat forums a couple of times and once many years back got a copy of his official fanzine out of interest. There does seem to be a strange attitude that every single piece of music Jarre has done is work of unparalleled genius and most of his fans take him, as does he himself it has to be said, way to seriously.

Part of my problem with JMJ is that he thinks he's some groundbreaking modern artist and that his huge concerts are  works of hugely important performance art. I've seen Jarre live twice, once in Paris in 1990 infront of about 2 million people and once in Glasgow in 1997 infront of an embarassingly half emtpy Glasgow SECC ( there must have been about 1500 max) but the Glasgow gig was brilliant way better than the Paris mega show. There was a really intimate atmosphere which actualy worked with his music very well and the sound quality was superb, I was about 6 feet from Jarre when he played is naff but spectacular lazer harp as opposed to 6 miles at the other concert. I think there's a lesson there.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2003, 16:09

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 13 2003, 16:02)
There does seem to be a strange attitude that every single piece of music Jarre has done is work of unparalleled genius and most of his fans take him, as does he himself it has to be said, way to seriously.

Reminds me of someone... (well, the part about the fans, anyway.)
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 03:34

Any suggestions, Holger?
The adjective 'narrow minded' also relates to someone, doesn't it?

Will you please tell me one thing - what do you think of that quote of Nietzsche?
The evangely died on a cross.
(Der Antichrist)

Of course I do not suggest anything... :D

alex
Profile PM 
liz197 Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 06:10

i like jean-michel jarre, and i'm not narrow minded thankyou, i was there in paris for his concert 'arc de triumpth' which was really good, considering the guy never had any music lessons, he must of started playing at around the time of mike, i suppose he gets his talent from his father maurice, although he only does music for films doctor shivago etc.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 09:50

Quote (alex @ Feb. 14 2003, 03:34)
Any suggestions, Holger?
The adjective 'narrow minded' also relates to someone, doesn't it?

Will you please tell me one thing - what do you think of that quote of Nietzsche?
The evangely died on a cross.
(Der Antichrist)

Of course I do not suggest anything... :D

alex

Um? sorry Alex, I don't see what you're getting at. I was mainly talking about myself, or at least how I used to be, and other fans like me. I did not quote the 'narrow-minded' part, however. And what about that quote?
Profile PM 
Tellur Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 10:29

I think you guys understood me wrong  :/
I'm as much of a Jarre fan as I am a fan of Mike, except that I don't venerate only Jarre. In fact, I listen to Oldfield when I'm in a good mood, but Jarre is the one that cheers me up. His futuristic music is more optimistic then that of Ommadown or even the calm Tres Lunas.
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 11:57

All right, I am sorry, Holger...
I thought that you were relating to my theory that Mike is God and that He is Perfect and that only He creates Perfect Music and that only His Music is Perfect and...so on...

Total misunderstanding...
Sorry once again, but I thought that there was someone who hated me for my claims (however they are right and true!;)...

Visit the forum about the question of God...  :)

alex
Profile PM 
alex Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 11:59

All right, I am sorry, Holger...
I thought that you were relating to my theory that Mike is God and that He is Perfect and that only He creates Perfect Music and that only His Music is Perfect and...so on...

Sorry once again, but I thought that there was someone who hated me for my claims (however they are right and true!  )...

Visit the forum about the question of God...  :)

alex

The smile that is in the previous message and is not here should not be anywhere of course!
Profile PM 
Toby (not logged in)
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 13:22

In reply to Liz.
Unlike Mike who, as we understand it is completely self taught musicaly, JMJ studied music theory heavily right up to quite a late period in his career he is also a classicaly trained pianist. Also unlike Mike his first album proper, Oxygene, came out when he was 30 so he was quite a bit older when he first became famous.

Just thought that would be of interest.
Holger Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 13:27

Quote (alex @ Feb. 14 2003, 11:59)

No problem. Take a look at my thought posted in the 'god' thread.
Profile PM 
KDK Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 13:59

Hey Tellur, see what happens when we move that thread here? :/  I don't want to offend anybody, but the chat at jarre.net is kind of less stressed, if you know what i mean...anyways, just wanted to say that Jarre is King of France and Oldfield is King of England, but no wars this time, OK?

CHEERS!
KDK

--------------
Jedi Master and Superior Intellect!
Profile PM 
KDK Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 14:00

Hey Tellur, see what happens when we move that thread here? :/  I don't want to offend anybody, but the chat at jarre.net is kind of less stressed, if you know what i mean...anyways, just wanted to say that Jarre is King of France and Oldfield is King of England, but no wars this time, OK?

CHEERS!
KDK

--------------
Profile PM 
Tellur Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 15:33

So of course you must have heard about the hundred years' war (1336 - 1453) between England and France?  :laugh:
Profile PM 
KDK Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2003, 15:49

What about The Charge of the 400 Thousand? no one survived that one...Just Eddie, Iron Maiden's pet... :D

Cheers!
KDK

--------------
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2003, 18:40

Hey Toby,I was also there at the La Defense concert in 1990 and after the dissapointment of a  freezing cold,wet docklands, I thought it was fantastic!.Yes,I didn't see the stage either but the atmosphere was special along with the balmy hot July evening ,even though I got to my hotel at something like 4 in the morning because I got lost  :/

I also saw him in 1993 in Manchester which was ok but the 1997 gig in Manchester's NMEX was awesome,if a bit too loud :p

Mike and Jarre were pioneers in ther time and still are to some extent.There music is very special to me and I have them both to thank (as well as the likes of Tangerine Dream/Vangelis etc) for inspiring me to make my own music.
Profile PM WEB 
Remixer Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2003, 16:48

HEY TOBY !

I was about 6 feet from Jarre when he played is naff but spectacular lazer harp as opposed to 6 miles at the other concert. I think there's a lesson there.

Hmm so was i at glascow !! ... i bet you was the guy whose foot i stepped on !!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2004, 13:09

New on Jarre!

He did recently that concert in China,and he played besides his keyboards,laser harp,theramin
...TUBULAR BELLS!!!!

I was truly shocked with that...saw on TV today...

One more thing to add to that stupid battle Mike x Jarre.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2004, 13:26

Until Mike does something like "Zoolook", he is the clear winner in such a battle.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2004, 13:45

This battle for me is completely non-sense at all.
Both make different types of music!
Why the comparasion?
I really dunno...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
20 replies since Feb. 13 2003, 13:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net