Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike trolling us for 'Tubular Bells Forever' ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ZeroZeroQuatre Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 15 2023, 05:33

Ok, so here's a thought that's been bugging me a lot : is it actually possible that Mike's been trolling us all this time ?
I mean, the retirement does make sense, sure, but when it comes to an artist like Mike Oldfield, who embodied music his whole life, it just makes me wonder.

The Music will surely never stop playing for him, and if he doesn't feel the need to capture and share it with the world anymore (especially considering how messed up things are out there), then hey, that's absolutely fine ! It's a ton of mad work after all, and maybe now he's just enjoying it more from the comfort of the seats than from the intensity of the stage.

Return to Ommadawn felt like a sincere farewell, especially considering all the personal tragedies that hit him back to back. It could totally be the perfect closure. To quote the man himself, "I'd rather be here."
The thought of Mike, finding peace where it all began, surrounded by a landscape of musical emotions, fills me with joy already, and I'm more than happy to consider this the perfect ending to his beautiful journey.

AND YET !
Could such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like Tubular Bells 4 truly be ignored ?
Every bit of news so far seems like it's been purposely designed to demoralize us, but in such a comically unprofessional way that it's almost hard to believe. Behind every piece of information, I can't help but hear Mike's laughter. Which in many ways makes me oddly happy too.

And so yeah, I can't stop but wonder : in this current age where leaks and trademark registrations are all over the place, could it still be that Tubular Bells Forever (yeah, please indulge the fanboyish name and overall optimism lol) sneaks its way out into the world when we least expect it ?

I see two outcomes, each as unlikely as the other, and I'd be more than happy with each of 'em.
10 more days, I guess.

In the meantime, Happy Birthday Mike !
And thank you for the journey :D
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: May 15 2023, 06:09

That would be wonderful - and when the re-released Tubular Bells album arrives it includes a third disc containing TB4 and a special thank you message to the fans who kept the faith?

Mike did comment “more soon” 4 days ago on his Gordon Mikefield FB page.
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 15 2023, 23:11

Quote (ZeroZeroQuatre @ May 15 2023, 05:33)
: is it actually possible that Mike's been trolling us all this time ?

Oh yes. (As the Governess on the Chase would say). :laugh:
Profile PM 
Happy? Offline

Posted: May 21 2023, 15:00

Mike is way too musically minded to completely stop messing around with music and sounds. But as the statement says, he 'retired from releasing music'.

In interviews he was asked why he made music, and Mike's answer was quite simple: he made music for his own, because the music he composed didn't already exist.
And I'm glad he was willing to share his musical ideas with the world, so we can all enjoy the great compositions he has made for his own.  :D

--------------
I'd rather be... happy?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: May 21 2023, 22:59

If he has retired from releasing music why is he still releasing things like the TB4 intro? Musicians have a habit of announcing "retirements" only so that the surprise of a "comeback" is more intense.
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 23 2023, 01:16

Quote (Platinumpty @ May 15 2023, 06:09)
That would be wonderful - and when the re-released Tubular Bells album arrives it includes a third disc containing TB4 and a special thank you message to the fans who kept the faith?

Mike did comment “more soon” 4 days ago on his Gordon Mikefield FB page.

Can you please link to this "Gordon Mikefield FB page"?  I can't find any such thing at all let alone that post let alone any indication of it being an official account.

There is only this one by that name [URL=https://www.facebook.com/gordon.mikefield/[/URL] (ED: I had accidentally linked to the page of the same name with a young Billy Joel as the banner)  Which hasn't posted since 2016 and appears if anything to be nothing but a promo/propaganda for the International [Fake-]Space Station and phony heliocentrism since the last update was regarding that cheap/expensive hoax spaceship and another prominent comment regarding birthday wishes says "One more trip around the Sun" as if to say that a year is actually measured by the earth flying nearly 600 million miles around the Sun at 20 miles per second (lmao...), which is the current science doctrinal position, instead of a (solar) year being a cycle of the Sun traveling from tropic to tropic and back again, equinox to equinox or solstice to solstice depending when you set the beginning and end of the year, above the nonmoving earth, as happens in actual real life.  Nothing at all to suggest that account is linked to anything official.  Maybe you are talking about a different page that actually has posted since 2016...?
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 23 2023, 01:40

Sentinal that link you posted takes me to a Gordon Mikefield page I hadn't seen and am not on his friends list.
I am however on Mikes real FB page here https://www.facebook.com/gordon.mikefield
Hope that helps :-)
Profile PM 
Sentinel_NZ Offline

Posted: May 23 2023, 01:46

Quote (Milamber @ May 23 2023, 01:40)
Sentinal that link you posted takes me to a Gordon Mikefield page I hadn't seen and am not on his friends list.
I am however on Mikes real FB page here https://www.facebook.com/gordon.mikefield

That's the one I meant to link, my mistake, I now changed it.  From what I see it says the last update was 2016, some nonsense regarding the make believe "International Space Station".  Are there newer posts that you can see such as the one claimed here by Platinumpty supposedly from 2 weeks ago saying "More soon", and is that really his official page? I don't see any indication at all that that Facebook account has any official links to Mike Oldfield or his representatives...looks just like some bored fan set it up and then immediately lost interest.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 24 2023, 03:32

Quote (nightspore @ May 22 2023, 03:59)
If he has retired from releasing music why is he still releasing things like the TB4 intro? Musicians have a habit of announcing "retirements" only so that the surprise of a "comeback" is more intense.

I suspect it was the record company asking for him to release it, to give the product something more than just the original album again.
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: May 30 2023, 07:07

Quote (Milamber @ May 23 2023, 01:40)

That's the group/page that Mike kept banning people from. Myself included. There is a actually a Mike Oldfield Outcast FB group for all of us who have ben cast out of that group, without any explanation.
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: May 30 2023, 07:08

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ May 24 2023, 03:32)

I suspect it was the record company asking for him to release it, to give the product something more than just the original album again.

This was one 100% a record company decision to fool us completists to buy yet another version of an album we've bought at least ten times before...
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: May 31 2023, 03:20

Quote (Elf @ May 30 2023, 12:08)
Quote (qjamesfloyd @ May 24 2023, 03:32)

This was one 100% a record company decision to fool us completists to buy yet another version of an album we've bought at least ten times before...

It worked, I bought it :)
Profile PM 
florencepugh Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2024, 03:50

Quote (ZeroZeroQuatre @ May 15 2023, 05:33)
Ok, so here's a thought that's been bugging me a lot : is it actually possible that Mike's been trolling us all this time ?
I mean, the retirement does make sense, sure, but when it comes to an artist like Mike Oldfield, who embodied music his whole life, it just makes me wonder.

The Music will surely never stop playing for him, and if he doesn't feel the need to capture and share it with the world anymore (especially considering how messed up things are out there), then hey, that's absolutely fine ! It's a ton of mad work after all, and maybe now he's just enjoying it more from the comfort of the seats than from the intensity of the stage.

Return to Ommadawn felt like a sincere farewell, especially considering all the personal tragedies that hit him back to back. It could totally be the perfect closure. To quote the man himself, "I'd rather be here."
The thought of Mike, finding peace where it all began, surrounded by a landscape of musical emotions, fills me with joy already, and I'm more than happy to consider this the perfect ending to his beautiful journey.

AND YET !
Could such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity like Tubular Bells 4 truly be ignored ?
Every bit of news so far seems like it's been purposely designed to demoralize us, but in such a comically unprofessional way that it's almost hard to believe. Behind every piece of information, I can't help but hear Mike's laughter. Which in many ways makes me oddly happy too.

And so yeah, I can't stop but wonder : in this current age where leaks and trademark registrations are all over the place, could it still be that Tubular Bells Forever (yeah, please indulge the fanboyish name and overall optimism lol) sneaks its way out into the world when we least expect it ? slope online

I see two outcomes, each as unlikely as the other, and I'd be more than happy with each of 'em.
10 more days, I guess.

In the meantime, Happy Birthday Mike !
And thank you for the journey :D

It's natural to ponder over the intentions and actions of someone as enigmatic and influential as Mike Oldfield. His retirement announcement did come as a surprise to many, given his lifelong dedication to music.
Profile PM 
Pinhead Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2024, 07:25

Did anyone receive the Hergest Ridge: The 1974 Demo vinyl ad for Record Store Day?

Really like the cover, and in the blurb it says, "With new artwork overseen by Mike Oldfield (including new photographs taken on the ridge in 2023".

If so, this surely suggests he's not entirely vanished, and the model aircraft in the cover pic certain looks like the one I remember from contemporary images I've seen. Would love to think he'd been back to HR to take them himself...
Profile PM 
13 replies since May 15 2023, 05:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net