Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Dougal Oldfield, Condolences to Mike and his Family< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: May 22 2015, 12:25

The Tubular.net team sends its heartfelt condolences to Mike and his family upon the passing of Mike's son, Dougal. May you find peace and solace at this challenging and sad time.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 22 2015, 12:55

Yes very very sad ! Poor Mike , poor Oldfield family ! so sad for all of them !!!

My thoughts for them and condolances to their family !!!
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: May 22 2015, 14:11

very sad news indeed. I surely hope mike finds his way through this
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: May 23 2015, 11:33

So sad. Rest in Peace Dougal.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: May 24 2015, 11:09

A great hug Mike. Probably there's nothing in the world that can consolate you now, but just let me tell you you're the most amazing musician I've ever known and an overwhelmingly
unique and genuine person as well. May Doug rest at peace.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: May 24 2015, 15:10

Although I don't have any children on my own I think to lose a child is the hardest loss you can imagine. So my deeply felt sympathy goes to Mike and the whole Oldfield Family.

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: May 24 2015, 19:41

This is so sad. My sincere condolences.
Profile PM 
mart Offline

Posted: May 25 2015, 06:08

Micheal my condolences and support for the los off your son Dougal. Give yourself the time to grief and let all your feelings come out, do not let it in. For Dougal rest in piece.
Profile PM 
iPlatinumBells427 Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: May 25 2015, 18:19

Hope Mike is feeling okay soon, we all love him :)
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: May 26 2015, 04:51

What a tragic loss! My sincere condolences and thoughts.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 26 2015, 19:46

I wish Mike deep peace. Not even time completely heals this life-altering event for a parent on so many levels, but the distance of time will add perspective and can console. The road ahead will be a different one that expected, but it can still bring sweetness one day.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: May 28 2015, 11:45

I've only just heard about the passing of Mike's son Dougal. It was such sad news, and my heart goes out to Mike and his family at this most difficult time. To lose any close relative is bad enough, but to lose a son or daughter must be truely awful.  

Rest in peace Dougal

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 29 2015, 13:12

Mike Oldfield Personal just re-opened over on FB. Mike appreciates the sentiments that have been expressed around the cyber world (he made that statement before I posted this topic) but there is to be no mention of Dougal’s passing there—only his music as per Caroline.  

I ask rhetorically, would it really be a bad thing to eventually see (even if not reading) where 1,000 people have wished you well and have expressed sympathy?  While I respect Mike’s and Caroline’s decision, I don’t agree with it. Our love of Mike’s music can’t help but to spill over into concern for his well-being from time-to-time.  For those who love his music and have lost their own children (and there are some amongst us), it is especially hard-hitting and some may need to express condolences. Many of us may need and want to. I certainly did, as have some of you. We all express grief in different ways, and some people find it helpful to talk about it and others do not. I say this last statement as someone who has had coursework in death and dying and is a hospice volunteer. Any of my personal experiences don't count here.

As one of my co-admins reminded me, after John Lennon died, Yoko wanted no mention of it. But then she saw the effect that silence was having on his fans and rescinded, even offering a program.  Of course, this is a different situation, but to try to repress people from expressing their condolences seems to me to be misguided. There are at least a couple of places where that’s been able to happen—here and also at Mike Oldfield on Record and probably other places, as well.  [edited by M-C]

If Mike were to see this, he soooo has my love and sympathy. I wish I could wave a magick wand or weave a magick spell to restore happiness and joy for him. But alas, time is the only magick we have in this situation, and it is very slow and doesn’t always work so well.

--------------
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: June 02 2015, 02:10

Sorry but I don't entirely agree with the previous post.

Like everyone here, I feel desperately sad that this has happened but we do need to remember that the Mike Oldfield we 'know' has a personal life that we are not a part of and one that, in particular, he has a right to set boundaries to.  If that means him taking down his Facebook page for a while or requesting that postings are restricted to his music rather than recent events, then so be it - it is his music that he has chosen to share with the world, not his personal life.

It is a sad fact of life that a small, but nevertheless significant, cross section of society use family events such as weddings & funerals to get closer to their idols and social networking has enabled news of venues to be spread almost instantaneously.  It is absolutely right that the Oldfield family should be able to pay their last respects without constantly wondering whether everyone is there for the right reasons and taking down the Facebook page for a while was a sensible strategy.

I am in the fortunate position of not ever having had to go through the loss of a child but I have lost both parents over the last 5 years.  What I have learned is that not every expression of condolence is helpful and those without either proper thought or knowledge can make things worse and, unfortunately, alongside all of the benefits that social networking can bring, we also have to contend with an avalanche of often vacuous comment.  Certain members of the fan community may 'need' to send their condolences but the real question here is do the Oldfield family and, in particular, Mike either 'need' or want to read them.  Our obsession with Mike and his music means that we do have knowledge of elements of his personal life - e.g. family names, birthday, where he lives/lived etc. but let's not forget that, to him, we are strangers.  I don't think this is about being 'repressed' but just about understanding that this element of his life is off limits and respecting it.

If we want to help the Oldfield family at this time, then let's respect their wishes and understand that grief and condolence is far more than a few words on a website.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 02 2015, 14:01

As someone who was born the same year as him,it was very shocking to read the news and not feeling some sort of a grief for the Oldfield family really.

IMO the way that the whole situation was dealt on FB was very confusing and the page should had been closed way before any piece of news was available online to protect his privacy.

At this stage we need to respect his wishes.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: July 12 2015, 21:29

So very sad to hear about this. Could not find the words at the time, still cannot.  Deepest condolences to you Mike and all of the family.
Profile PM 
15 replies since May 22 2015, 12:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net