[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Terry Oldfield's "Celt"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 08 2005, 08:43

Terry Oldfield's 2004 CD "Celt"

click here

is worth mentioning here. I noticed that it has two track titles in common with Voyager. (Women of Ireland, She Moves Through the Fair). I've never heard any Terry Oldfield, but I wonder how his take on these tracks compares to Mike's.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 09 2005, 09:17

I haven't heard any more than the samples provided by Terry on the website. Normally, his music isn't to my liking, being rather too 'sweet' for my taste, but what I heard seemed to be more open sounding than Mike's versions of those tunes. It's hard to make any firm judgements without hearing the whole thing, of course, but I think I may prefer what Terry's done, on this occasion. Heresy or what?
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 11:10

The album covers don't look very professional, is he not with 'New world music' anymore?

What do others think of his music? Has Mike ever played on his albums? > insert more questions here < ;)

:)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 14:09

Terry Oldfield's music to me,as far as I've heard = :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 15:17

Sleepy? Excellent :D

It's nice, I haven't heard much but I like it  :)

:O Tati jipped Mike Oldfield's brother :O

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
ulfmilanese Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 11:03

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Feb. 12 2006, 11:10)

The album covers don't look very professional, is he not with 'New world music' anymore?

No, he is now releasing his albums on 'New Earth Records' and MGM. And he even released some records at further companies, but just single ones.

Has Mike ever played on his albums?
No.
Profile PM 
Fram Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 04:14

I have heard a few of his records that are truly New Age  :zzz: , but even then, they are way better than most of his competitors (I have e.g. a Best of New Age compilation where his two tracks are by far the most enjoyable or the least boring). But as far as I know (and I don't know his recent works), he has two decent to good albums, Zen (which has not enough ideas, but the few ideas are good, and quite lively), and De Profundis, which is the only New Age album I know that is truly moving (I don't consider MO to be New Age, obviously).

--------------
Knowledge is a curse, but ignorance is worse
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Nov. 27 2006, 14:14

If you get any Terry Oldfield music, I suggest you try Spiral Waves released on Voiceprint. This was a demo he once did for Virgin recorded around the time Mike was doing Ommadawn and it is in similar style to that album. It's rather short but contains some nice acoustic guitar that echoes what Mike was doing at The Beacon. Thankfully the good people at Voiceprint got hold of it and it was finally released. A real gem in my opinion.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2021, 06:43

Quote (ulfmilanese @ Feb. 20 2006, 16:03)
Has Mike ever played on his albums?
No.

He has now. He played on 3 tracks for Terry's album Journey into Space.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Feb. 08 2005, 08:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net