Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Opus One vinyl< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 18 2023, 05:10

To begin the commemorations for Tubular Bells' 50th Anniversary, the original 1971 demo of the album, Opus One, will be released on vinyl on Record Store Day 2023, on the 22nd April. The tracklist is the same as in the 35th Anniversary CD box set:

SIDE 1
Tubular Bells — Long (22:52)

SIDE 2
Caveman — Lead In (2:40)
Caveman (5:02)
Peace A (6:57)
Peace B (4:16)
Profile PM 
olaf Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 18 2023, 09:44

When asked by a fan on Facebook if there was anything new, Mike replied - non-generically for the first time in years - with "Wait a while" and "more to come".
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2023, 21:05

Perhaps the best way to "prod" Mike Oldfield into releasing TB4 is to start talking about TB5, which, of course, his fans will expect him to produce. So... going by my interpretation of the series as being about the chakras, number 5, corresponding to the throat chakra (Vishuddha), will have to have only sounds produced by the human voice. Of course, electronic processing of the vocal sounds could bring them as close as desired to the sound of the desired instruments; and this will be part of the challange and appeal of TB5.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2023, 06:29

Sounds promising.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2023, 21:45

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Feb. 20 2023, 06:29)
Sounds promising.

= promising sounds.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2023, 08:32

I didn't think we would have had to wait this long for that next album, we have been waiting a while, it's 6 years since Return to Ommadawn :O
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2023, 20:15

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Feb. 21 2023, 08:32)
I didn't think we would have had to wait this long for that next album, we have been waiting a while, it's 6 years since Return to Ommadawn :O

It's a silly attempt to create a sense of mystique. The Moody Blues did it with the gap between Seventh Sojourn and Octave,  Yes did it with the gap between Relayer and Going for the One. As Pink would say, "Go away, give me a chance to miss you/say goodbye, it will make me want to kiss you"  :laugh:
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2023, 22:11

It looks like we have some real news. This is so nice.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2023, 02:47

Does Mike currently have a record deal?
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2023, 07:10

I predict in about six years' time we will all be still waiting on something from Mike and reminiscing about that time six years ago when he popped up on Facebook to say "Wait a while" and "more to come"! :D
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2023, 16:48

Quote (shenry @ Feb. 23 2023, 07:10)
I predict in about six years' time we will all be still waiting on something from Mike and reminiscing about that time six years ago when he popped up on Facebook to say "Wait a while" and "more to come"! :D

WHAT! Another 6 years! Although you may well be right! Unfortunately I/we/he could all be dead by then! I seriously think that Putin's on a deathwish and plans to takes us all out with him! He is preparing the Sarmat intercontinental ballistic missile for use by the end of the year!  :(
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2023, 05:12

Its very interesting that the original 1971 Tubular Bells demo had 2 pieces called "Peace".  Did Mike originally plan for 2 distinct "Peace" sections on Tubular Bells or did he just have different arrangement possibilities for 1 "Peace" section?  It seems Mike also hadn't planned on the "Harmonics", "Ambient Guitars" and "The Sailor's Hornpipe" pieces in 1971 or did he originally intend not to use those ideas on Tubular Bells?  The "Hoover" demo remains lost although the actual idea was realised in the "Hoover" part of Amarok.

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2023, 18:41

One can't help comparing the name "Opus One" with the infamous "Opus Dei". Mike likes playing with language: could he in some sense be hoping the "One" would "Die"??  :p  :laugh:

Also O-pus means "O foot", just as "octopus" means "eight foot". Perhaps there's a missing octopus here, the missing letters being "cto", cf "cot", and "toc" (Pink Floyd's "Pow r Toc H".
Profile PM 
Argiers Offline

Posted: April 22 2023, 20:21

TB 50th Blu-ray. NB. Not the Robin Smith tour.

I have just discovered that a Blu-ray is to be released by SuperDeluxeEdition (theSDEshop) but has already sold out.
I've seen NO news of this anywhere and I'm on all possible news services. SDE told me to go to the product page and join the waiting list.

As of today (22/4/23) this is not available anywhere else and I fully expect flipper scum to sell it at massively inflated prices on eBay.

The way I see it, the more names on the list, the better chance of a repress.

Link below.

https://www.thesdeshop.com/collections/mike-oldfield

--------------
Buggered if I know...
Profile PM 
shenry Offline

Posted: April 23 2023, 05:47

Quote (Argiers @ April 22 2023, 20:21)
TB 50th Blu-ray. NB. Not the Robin Smith tour.

I have just discovered that a Blu-ray is to be released by SuperDeluxeEdition (theSDEshop) but has already sold out.
I've seen NO news of this anywhere and I'm on all possible news services. SDE told me to go to the product page and join the waiting list.

As of today (22/4/23) this is not available anywhere else and I fully expect flipper scum to sell it at massively inflated prices on eBay.

The way I see it, the more names on the list, the better chance of a repress.

Link below.

https://www.thesdeshop.com/collections/mike-oldfield

That's unlucky. Yes it wasn't massively promoted and wasn't part of the main advertising campaign. I was lucky, I heard about it via word of mouth and I got my order in on time for a reserve copy. But I don't doubt there will be many disappointed fans like you.

I hate how 5.1 mixes of releases are becoming these overpriced, limited releases. I've missed out on quite a few releases that way. I wasn't going to pay over £100 for a Dolby Atmos version of The Beatles' Revolver, for example. I suppose it's just market driven and there just isn't the mass demand to make these things cheaper and more available.

I was surprised the Tubular Bells one was under £30. It's a real shame for whoever missed the window to order it.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 24 2023, 02:20

I ordered mine too, I got the information from the official Mike Oldfield website mailing list.
Profile PM 
15 replies since Feb. 18 2023, 05:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net