Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 5.1 and u-myx versions of Light and Shade< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 15:44

I didn't realise that Mike was actually officially endorsing FL Studio. That would certainly put the whole debate around him using the software demo tune in a different light. I'm not sure it makes it any less naff to my mind but it certainly makes it more understandable. Is FL Studio regarded as quite a 'low end' production software? It's weird that Mike who used to obviously have everything state of the art would choose to use and endorse what sounds like an inferior product. Maybe its just simpler to use.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 16:43

I sometimes use FruityLoops too, and I can tell you: Mike can get better (compared to other high end music production systems)! And I'm totally with Korgscrew about the sampling rate... although the human ear isn't capable of hearing anything higher than 44.100 khz (22 khz per ear) you can hear an actual difference between a 44 khz and a 192 khz recording. But we have to look out not to overkill everything. ;)

Although if I would make music professionaly I would use a Studer A820 (Mike has used a Studer too in the early 90's). It's probably one of the best analogue tape recordings units on the planet. And tape still gives the "feeling" to music than digital recordings (but that's just a personal matter of taste).

And what TOBY said about fashions in music recording: yes indeed! One big example is filtering. Especially those typical lowpass filters which Daft Punk uses a lot is totally in fashion nowadays in music production.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 16:47

Mikeoldfield.com has been down most of this sunday, is this good news - new files?????

torben
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 16:54

Actually that low pass filter was one the ones I had in mind and Mylo uses it a lot too which makes his album, in places, sound a lot like Daft Punk's. As Blue Dolphin pointed out its been in vogue for few years now, put a low pass filter through a track for a few bars and them slam all the frequencies back together again to get a big punch. Its starting to sound a bit cliched now if you ask me. I first noticed it on Daft Punks Discovery album a few years back. It can give the track a kind of deliberately 80's cheesy feel I think.
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 20:14

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Aug. 14 2005, 16:43)
I sometimes use FruityLoops too, and I can tell you: Mike can get better (compared to other high end music production systems)! And I'm totally with Korgscrew about the sampling rate... although the human ear isn't capable of hearing anything higher than 44.100 khz (22 khz per ear) you can hear an actual difference between a 44 khz and a 192 khz recording. But we have to look out not to overkill everything. ;)

Most important thing is that if you work in 96 kHz, you will process the sound in 96 kHz as well (effects, etc.).

Even if in the VERY END of the process, it's converted back to 44.1 kHz, there WILL BE a difference, because of the 96 kHz processing.

I think that's the point.

Now, I didn't know that one could already work in 192 kHz. What's next?  :D
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 20:17

Quote (torbenyj @ Aug. 14 2005, 16:47)
Mikeoldfield.com has been down most of this sunday, is this good news - new files?????

torben

Current state: "www.mikeoldfield.com is pending on this server. Please allow up to two minutes for www.mikeoldfield.com to become fully active."
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 20:37

It seems to be online again.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2005, 02:54

Mike Oldfield say :
"Just finished the 5.1 remix of " Light and Shade" , also the 4 u-myx tracks www.u-myx.com and the ringtones !
Off on the Hayabusa !!! "

I have a good news for you. I leave in Japan and I understand the Mike Oldfield's message about u-myx and "Hayabusa". u-mix is popular in Japan. You can download the u-mix soft in Japan. It's free and don't worry, the language is english
:D

The page link if you can read japanese
http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Music/Info/SouldOut/umyx/

U-mix for windows
http://u-myx.com/WindowsUmyxTatd.zip
U-mix for Mac
http://u-myx.com/MacUmyxTatd.tgz

Enjoyed  :p
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 15 2005, 03:24

There's no need to download anything now though, unless you're curious to see what it's like, as the software will be included on the album.
Profile PM 
Ddave_73 Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 06:40

Quote (Sentinel101 @ Aug. 14 2005, 03:24)
@Mike: please make a DTS version of L&S ! TB2003 is incredible in DTS surround sound.

no offence m8

But

Tb2003 5.1 version is actualy on eof the worste 5.1 mixes I have ever heard .

I am a HUGE mike oldfield fan and please dotn think I am badmouthign him and his work , the tb2003 5.1 mix was complete rubbish imo .

The person who mixed it had clearly just got the hang of his crossfader and thats basicaly at it does all through the album , sounds get lost and the whole thing was a mess , no real direction in movement and was simply a rushed out 5.1 mix in an attempt to keep the 5.1 lovers happy .

I have a large collection of 5.1 audio and although Oldfield is my number 1 artist , tb2003 is the worste 5.1 album I have .

I am sure that Mike did nto mix tb2003 into 5.1 himself and hope that this time he will do the job himself and actualy think about what can be achieved .

TB2003 in 5.1 could have been amazing and what pisses me off is the fact that such an amazing album was mixed so badly into 5.1 ...

I will surely love the new album regardless and realy dont mind listenign to music in normal stereo , just dont get soem half ass kid with a brand new crossfader to do this one please mike :)

What does interest me is beign able to mix soem of the tracks myself , now this sounds awesome and may well be somethign we end up not being able to live without :)
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 06:55

Quote (Ddave_73 @ Aug. 16 2005, 19:40)
What does interest me is beign able to mix soem of the tracks myself , now this sounds awesome and may well be somethign we end up not being able to live without

Something I'd be very interested in is being able to isolate individual instruments and be able to play them by themselves: for example hearing just the bass, or just the keyboard parts. It may not sound very exciting on the surface, but I would dearly love to be able to do it for EVERY album. Just imagine being able to listen clearly to John Entwistle's bass, or all the individual instrument tracks that go to make up Amarok. I'd never get tired of that.  :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 09:26

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 16 2005, 06:55)
Something I'd be very interested in is being able to isolate individual instruments and be able to play them by themselves: for example hearing just the bass, or just the keyboard parts.

Some of us use Weed 1.0 for that. ;) Incantations as altered by Weed 1.0 is absolutely infinitely divine, for instance.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
MaXiMo Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 09:30

Hi! I really like this!! 5.1 format and demos.. it seems interesting.. hope to listen to these tracks as soon as possible!!

Mike, you can do whatever you want to.

--------------
If you want to be a good person, you must be like me.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 10:27

Quote (Ddave_73 @ Aug. 16 2005, 11:40)
I am sure that Mike did nto mix tb2003 into 5.1 himself and hope that this time he will do the job himself and actualy think about what can be achieved.

Mike did do the Tubular Bells 2003 5.1 mix himself, and was very proud of it. At the time, he spoke out about more conservative mixes, complaining they didn't make proper use of the format.

I seem to remember his own description of the mix was something like "It's like being on a carousel", Mike clearly proud of his achievement.

Make of that what you will...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 13:16

There's quite an interesting review here http://www.highfidelityreviews.com/reviews....4485140  

I think the reviewer shares your thoughts Ddave_73
Profile PM 
Ddave_73 Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 19:02

Quote (Korgscrew @ Aug. 16 2005, 10:27)
Quote (Ddave_73 @ Aug. 16 2005, 11:40)
I am sure that Mike did nto mix tb2003 into 5.1 himself and hope that this time he will do the job himself and actualy think about what can be achieved.

Mike did do the Tubular Bells 2003 5.1 mix himself, and was very proud of it. At the time, he spoke out about more conservative mixes, complaining they didn't make proper use of the format.

I seem to remember his own description of the mix was something like "It's like being on a carousel", Mike clearly proud of his achievement.

Make of that what you will...

If a carousel effect is what he wanted then I am at least happy thats what he ended up with :)

Personaly I did not like it at all , realy looked foreward to it and was disapointed but the normal stereo version was brilliant I thaught .

It was his first 5.1 album so I am happy he is doing more with the format and hopefully I will enjoy his next 5.1 mix more .

If not then I always got good ole reliable Stereo :)

@ Toby

Thanks for that link :) interesting reading ..
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 01:32

Quote (Navaira @ Aug. 16 2005, 22:26)

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 16 2005, 06:55)

Something I'd be very interested in is being able to isolate individual instruments and be able to play them by themselves: for example hearing just the bass, or just the keyboard parts.

Some of us use Weed 1.0 for that.  Incantations as altered by Weed 1.0 is absolutely infinitely divine, for instance.

So there is a program that can do those things? Where can I find it? It sounds very interesting.

--------------
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 05:23

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 17 2005, 07:32)
Quote (Navaira @ Aug. 16 2005, 22:26)

Some of us use Weed 1.0 for that.  Incantations as altered by Weed 1.0 is absolutely infinitely divine, for instance.
So there is a program that can do those things? Where can I find it? It sounds very interesting.

Sounded to me like it's not a problem of what's  running inside your computer, but instead of what's burning in the pipe you're smoking.
If you find any software to do that kind of processing, it might also be able to get flour, eggs, sugar and milk back out of a finished cake...
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 05:26

Oi!! I can't believe I didn't get Navaira's joke. I must be more stupid than I look.  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2005, 06:53

He He  Chuckle !that made me laugh soo much  Navaira Its a nicer place round here when there is some good hearted comedy  to erase the worlds sadness :(  :D  :D
Profile PM 
58 replies since Aug. 13 2005, 17:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net