Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 5.1 and u-myx versions of Light and Shade< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 17:05

On mikeoldfield.com, Mike reports that he's completed a 5.1 mix of the album, and that four tracks will be available for listeners to mix themselves in the u-myx format. He's also done some ringtones!
Profile PM 
eder Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 17:53

Great!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 18:03

"I was psychologically unstable...seriously mentally disturbed. I had panic attacks and paranoia, which took 20 years of psychotherapy, and EST, to get over that. Now I have the strength and personality to stand up and present myself."

Hummm...hint hint of a tour?

I'm very very happy to know that Mike is now in a fab mood with himself.I'm very proud of him,since it wasn't that easy to reach it!

Me looking foward to see what's next....

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ToroAcu Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 18:06

Wowwww, 5.1
Excellent.

I am very happy.

David (ToroAcu)
Visit my Mike Oldfield blog: www.taurusiv.net/blog
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 18:29

It's quite funny Mike deploring yob culture and yet in that photo he looks a bit.... well slightly menacing and yobbish himself. Only kidding folks, he looks great for his age. If only he could finally, once and for all get over punk rock!!!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 18:49

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 14 2005, 00:29)
If only he could finally, once and for all get over punk rock!!!

True that.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 19:50

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 13 2005, 23:03)
"I was psychologically unstable...seriously mentally disturbed. I had panic attacks and paranoia, which took 20 years of psychotherapy, and EST, to get over that. Now I have the strength and personality to stand up and present myself."

Hummm...hint hint of a tour?

I'm very very happy to know that Mike is now in a fab mood with himself.I'm very proud of him,since it wasn't that easy to reach it!

Me looking foward to see what's next....

Well done Mike, that therapy took some bottle. I like to see people happy :).  If this means a tour's on the cards,  could it include concert(s) on Hergest Ridge :) .  Give's me an excuse to visit my beloved Kington again :D , despite London or Cambridge being  nearer to me.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is u-myx   :/ ?

Thanks

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 20:07

Excellent!!!  5.1... sounds great Mike!

Like the new pics... he does look excellent for his age.  Though he may not want to hear it... I thought he looked hot when he was younger and well back in 1998 at the release of TB3!  Even a friend of mine walked in while I was playing the Crime of Passion video and asked who the hottie is.  

This album seems more and more likely to be a hit... thinking more about it and giving it a chance.  Hearing it from Mike's point-of-view has softened me.  Maybe like many of us out there, I'm just being selfish with all this "This is what I want Mike to do for me"  attitude.  Asking him to create what isn't in his head at the time.  Wanting him to be more liked by my friends.. having something I can play at a party.  For Mike's music to fit-in better in the states.  That's all very selfish of me!!  

I do hope the mp3's will be up soon... I'm getting excited.  And now the counter is passed one million "wooohahahahaha" (the sound of doctor evil with pinky in mouth)  wonder who's won the copy L+S?
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 20:25

1,000,446 when i visited. damn.

i tried to use photo shop to fake it, but honesty got the better of me.

a bit worried about the 5.1 mix comment. does this mean a normal stereo mix released first, then the 5.1 a month or so later? Korg tells me a SACD disc could carry both, but going by the last few years i wouldn't be surprised at another money making exercise?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 22:01

Could the new 'enter' page for mikeoldfield.com be a  sneak preview of the cover for Light and Shade? I quite like it myself.

I'm hanging out for those mp3s.  :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 02:12

New picture of mike Oldfield
http://www.mikeoldfield.com/flash/images/Mike6.jpg
Profile PM 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 03:24

@Mike: please make a DTS version of L&S ! TB2003 is incredible in DTS surround sound.
Profile PM 
James Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 06:00

Seeing that you are allowing folks to mix your music may I have a go on your Hayabusa !!! Just drop the keys off thanks.

(this means a tour's on the cards,  could it include concert on Hergest Ridge)

Well I won't get a go on Mikes bike though attending such a concert at Hergest Ridge would be mega .Great idea Moonchild!
Profile PM 
Hendrik Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 06:26

Wow, that are great news !!
Two Versions and sound files to create new songs yourself!
I´ve always wanted to do that with many Albums! :))

I hope these files are compatible with CubaseVST or at least I hope that I can convert these with Wavelab!

That will be an expensive autumn for myself with "light+Sahde"+"Exposure"+"Schiller-Album" +"StarWars EP3+MR-Replica" + vacation.....! :)

It´s funny that Christopher Van Deylen of "Schiller" called his new Album "Tag und Nacht ", which means Day and Night .    :)

Greetings

Hendrik
Profile PM 
ToroAcu Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 06:43

And... reading the web official of mike i have a doubt...

Light and Shade, Light + Shade or Light & Shade?  :laugh:
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 07:07

Hey James,There's room for two on that bike you know :O
And-can I get a ticket for the HR gig as well!

Moonchildhippy-if only your wish could come true.I'm sure the
vast expanse of the area would more than accomadate all & it would be so special wouldn't it?
A real moment in time to remember.

How much arranging would such an event involve? (aside from
MO's time,other commitments ,ect).

At first,I thought all the talk of concerts there to be quite amusing while at the same time - got to be honest here,
also imagining/hoping too of it becoming a reality.

Only one person can truly make it so.Perhaps we may get some feedback from (those in the know)
on how this could/couldn't be possible  :)

No idea why I've typed this post almost in verses
perhaps HR poem in mind :laugh:
Just like to add - some of the best people I've known
have been in therapy(we all seem to home in on each other) :) Well done MO - survivor & far beyond.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 08:22

Yes, that's a damn good picture on the index of MikeOldfield.com. I too hope it will be something similar on the cover of Light & Shade. At least the album will have a good design. ;)

I'm just wondering, with almost every studio going "soft", doesn't this become a bit boring? I mean, everyone having the same software set-ups... ok, not everyone will the exact same equipment but I just lots of equipment around me. ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 11:34

I'm not so sure every studio is going 'soft' for exactly the reason you state Blue Dolphin, it just looses all character. Music production just becomes homogenised and bland. Although as with all technology used in art its how you use it that counts, you do get a sense that a lot of the more obviously computer built albums recently do have that very 'samey' feel about them. I've noticed that a lot in dance/eletronica recently, there are certain production ideas, certain filters and effects used, that are very in vogue at the moment. I'm betting that Mike has used a lot of them in Light and Shade. That recent Mylo album, which I actually really like, uses a lot of that cut and paste type editing where the beat breaks apart and skips about, it makes you think your CD is skipping. That seems to be a very popular way of breaking the track apart at the moment.

Anyway Korgscrew would be the man to tell us how much truth there is in ALL studios going 'soft'. Do you think its a bad idea Mike getting rid of all his old studio gear?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 13:01

The mixes' thingie is quite impressive.I'm looking foward to it,since I do have one side of me which is being a DJ appentice.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 15:14

Quote (sentinel101 Aug. 14 2005 @ 08:24)
@Mike: please make a DTS version of L&S ! TB2003 is incredible in DTS surround sound.

Knowing Mercury's track record, it's likely to be released on SACD, which uses the DSD format. The quality is far higher than DTS, which is a lossy format, like MP3.
However, if Mike has done most of his work in FL Studio, it'll be limited to 44.1kHz, if my understanding is right, so much of the extra quality of SACD (or DVD-A) will be wasted.

Quote (Hendrik Aug. 14 2005 @ 11:26)
I hope these files are compatible with CubaseVST or at least I hope that I can convert these with Wavelab!

They won't be. U-myx is a stand-alone system, which includes the software for mixing with. There are still ways you could get stuff out of there and into something else, but that's not the intention - it's really a thing like a musical game to keep record buyers entertained than anything for serious remix work.

Studios going soft...well...
I'd say it's a very popular thing for smaller studios. People often go to the big ones because of the equipment they have, so they're proudly flaunting their collections of vintage analogue equipment. When a large studio does 'go soft', it's not likely to be a case of them chucking everything out and buying a copy of FL Studio. They'd be more likely to base it around something like Digidesign's  ICON, or one of its predecessors, which gives all the functionality of a conventional mixer, but using Pro Tools to provide the processing (which isn't carried out on the computer's processor itself - although it can be - but on dedicated DSP boards fitted to the computer). An example would be Jeff Wayne's studio, where his famous album The War Of The Worlds was recently remixed.

I don't think it's a bad idea to go down the latter route, especially for someone like Mike who was coming from having mixed everything digitally anyway - whether it's a good idea to chuck out a top-end analogue desk and replace it with a Pro Tools system is another matter.
Whether it's a good idea to go down the route Mike's gone in...well, if I were him, I'd be going up to the latest high end system, to get the best quality possible, rather than something which, as far as I can make out, is limited to what's now considered a fairly low sampling rate. I'm not sure Mike can hear the difference, though. If he's happy with it, and can create the music he wants to with it, then that's that. The system he's chosen isn't one I'd recommend for the way he used to work, but if he wants to work in a different way now, and is happy with the sound he's getting, then it's an acceptable choice that he's made.
Profile PM 
58 replies since Aug. 13 2005, 17:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net