Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 4CD Elements Set, What a great day ...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Gambit Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 05 2011, 00:33

Today, I decided to take a trip to Syracuse, New York to do some shopping with some friends. I am from Kingston, Ontario. Its about a 3 hours drive. I thought today was going to be a quiet little clothes shopping trip with some girls.

BUT NO

Little did I know, i was going to find a copy of the Boxed 4 CD set at store called FIE (a music and video store).

I decided to go to the CD's just to see if by chance they had any Mike Oldfield CD's (even though i have them all) I just enjoy browsing.

When i got to the "O" section, I was sad to see there was no little Mike Oldfield section. I looked and looked, but saw nothing. Infact there was this BIG boxed cd set in the way of everything and i had to move it in order to look for his name.

THATS WHEN I saw what the big boxed CD set actually was. It was the 4 CD Elements set of course !

I was so excited. I had to buy it. Such a rare item to find, especially in North America.

I had to share this day with all of you. I am just filled with joy ;P !
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 05 2011, 04:47

How much did you pay for it?

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Gambit Offline

Posted: June 05 2011, 09:46

It was 45$ US
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 05 2011, 11:14

Cheap...

There is one on ebay for 175$ at the moment....

When it came out at the time, I paid about 100$ for it, here in Switzerland

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Gambit Offline

Posted: June 05 2011, 13:59

Thats exactly why I was as giddy as a school girl when i saw it hahahah
Profile PM 
0+1(I1) Offline

Posted: July 28 2011, 22:29

mine was not more than £29 in the UK, but that was years ago, even at this price I remember 1 was shocked.

--------------
L◎ST ◎MMADAWN VERSI◎N RIDDLE ANSWER
 mIChaeI GOrDOn OIDfIeId.
=  I C   1  G◎D   OO ID I I
or replace the L's that were turned in to I's & 1 gets
ID◎L G◎LD ID◎L (4 ANSWER IN FULL + EXPLANATION, C ALBUM SECTION/☮MMADAWN/i-say-i-say-i-say-i-say-in-answer4XXX4Acr⊕ss
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 29 2011, 05:07

I'm fairly sure my original (in the hard plastic case which has since cracked) was about £40 but I forget.

I remember hearing at the time that a lot of folks were disappointed with it, especially when the particularly rare track (the Vivaldi Concerto in C) that some people had spent the full money just to hear was released shortly afterwards on a CD single for about £3.

I was a relatively new fan, though, and so it was a treasure trove of my future listening, helped me to know what sort of sounds would await me on Amarok and Incantations and Platinum. Also, there was some criticism of it containing all of the original Tubular Bells on disc 1 but I only had it on cassette at that point and so that was good to have, too.

The booklet and track listing are shockingly poorly written, though.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
bootleg Offline

Posted: July 29 2011, 11:29

Another disappointment with the big box as i remember was that the 25.28 mins live version of "Polka" mentioned on the sleeve of disc 2 was a miss-print and only 3.34 mins long.
Another was that "Sailor's Hornpipe" on disc 2 is the standard version from TB (which i'd just listened to on disc 1) and i wondered if they had meant to have the Viv Stanshall version on disc 2 instead but made an error.
Still I do love the packaging and it has been well played over the last 18 years.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2011, 16:47

Was this the first instance of the now obligatory botched, couldn't be arsed, who the f*** is this Mike Oldfield person, re-master/re-release we got from the lets make a quick buck record companies?

There was so much wrong with this release - right from the horrible "re-mastering" to the cretinous printing and the lamentable track selections - yet there was probably just enough on it to warrant buying it to get some tracks for the first time in CD quality...
Profile PM 
8 replies since June 05 2011, 00:33 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net