Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 24-bit Tubular Bells download at B&W< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 25 2012, 11:16

I - eventually - got the 5.1 mix. Utterly superb, completely different in dynamics and fidelity to the 2009 mix. I used a program called Cirlinca and burned the FLAC 24 bit/48kHz files to a Blu-Ray disc.
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2012, 11:32

I use Cirlinca's "HD Audio Solo" which was a free upgrade they offered from originally purchasing their "DVD Audio Solo" several years ago.

Great program, very easy to use. Looking forward to hearing this, glad to hear it's wide open and dynamic.
Profile PM WEB 
pauken Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2012, 07:26

Quote (dobyblue @ Oct. 24 2012, 10:47)
One thing that hasn't been pointed out is that this has little to do with the 5.1 mix, which is what my original post was about. You're comparing 16/44.1 CD quality audio to 24/96, what this 5.1 flac download does is allow you to experience the amazing 5.1 2009 surround mix without one of the lowest compression schemes around for surround being used; Dolby Digital 448 Kbps. Dolby matrixes everything about @ 15kHz I think it is and frequencies get sharply rolled off just like they do with 756 Kbps dts.

Ah yes, I forgot about that. Yes, 24/96 5.1 will definitely sound better than the Dolby AC3 or whatever it is on the DVDs we got! I'd buy it for that reason definitely :)

Would be great if the 5.1s of Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and the bits of Incantations come out in this format too!
Profile PM 
Anonymizeruk Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2012, 14:14

I'm rather tempted to purchase the stereo version. If I still owned a 5.1 setup, it would be a no-brainer!

The only other DVD-A title I have is Tubular Bells 2003, and even on my modest equipment (my X-Fi soundcard and Panasonic portable DVD both support 'native' DVD-A).

Unfortunately, money is tighter than a tight thing in shrink-wrap, so perhaps I shall have to check if Santa knows how to download a .FLAC file!
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2012, 23:29

This is now available in the US!  I sent a request to B&W and they responded with a very positive, we will make the arrangements for you.  To all my American peeps, you are welcome lol :)
Profile PM 
dobyblue Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2012, 08:18

I didn't check but I thought it might be available now in the US because the 24/48 .flac 2.0 download of Peter Gabriel's So (2012 remaster) was also made available to the US. It's much better than the CD for those interested because it doesn't have as much dynamic range compression applied. The DR rating on the CD is 6dB, which is pathetic, the 24-bit version is 9dB, much more open and dynamic.

Thankfully we don't have to worry much about that with the Mike Oldfield CD's, the 2009~2012 remasters so far have all been very open and dynamic so thank you very much for not allowing the arzhats in the music business that have ruined the vast majority of popular CD releases over the last 10+ years to get hold of these.

Platinum remaster = 13dB DR
QE2 remaster = 12dB DR

Awesome stuff.
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Nov. 02 2012, 08:31

Quote (dobyblue @ Nov. 02 2012, 13:18)
Thankfully we don't have to worry much about that with the Mike Oldfield CD's, the 2009~2012 remasters so far have all been very open and dynamic

I agree wholeheartedly - the 2009-12 remasters have been wonderful, sound wise.
Profile PM 
neilwilkes Offline

Posted: Dec. 21 2012, 09:15

I know I can certainly tell the difference between a 16-bit and a 24-bit file, especially with a surround mix as dynamic as this one is.
48KHz to 96KHz is a harder call.

What bothered me about the 3 Deluxe editions with the surround mixes was - like the poster above, I felt almost cheated at only getting 5.1 AC3 that to me sounds like someone put a sack over the speakers by comparison - I know what DD is, and what it does, and it is not pretty. The Dialnorm & DRC that is built into it is also very annoying - the limiters kick in hard & can take up to a whole minute to recover.....it has no place on any music release.
The bandwidth on the DVD's would have been much better taken up with a decent DTS stream if they really must use lossy data compression and a little less on the pointless looping video.

Great music, shame about the presentation. A decent DVD-A/V edition in those deluxe editions would have been much, much better - and not that much more to author.
Profile PM WEB 
27 replies since Oct. 08 2012, 11:02 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net