[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 1O Christmas Tunes, 5 Carols< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 03 2008, 14:05

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 03 2008, 09:15)
@ Sweetpea: I assume you refer to Disney's Fantasia about the Tchaikovsky waltz? Well, its actual title is "Waltz of the Flowers" and it never struck me as a Christmas-ish piece, while the "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy", in the same Nutcracker Suite, often did. I also don't think that the Allegro non molto from Vivaldì's "Winter" has any particular association with Christmas, because it has an inner melancholy which I normally don't link with the festive period.

Ugo, I sometimes get confused with the titles , what with "Waltz of the Flowers", "Waltz of the Snowflakes", and "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies". I think that's enough to confuzzle anybody! But, I wasn't referring to Disney's Fantasia suite, but rather to the complete ballet score. "Waltz of the Snowflakes" is at the end of Act I and it sounds nicely wintery to me. I also love "Waltz of the Flowers" (from Act II) but - as you've said - it's not very evocative of the season. This is also the case with my most favorite part of the score, the "Pas De Deux".

It's true that some of my choices aren't exactly cheery or Christmasy. While - musically - I enjoy some carols and hymns, I don't celebrate Christmas as Christians do, but rather I celebrate the season of Winter. There is a bleakness to Winter that I embrace, so a touch of melancholy is appropriate for me. Happy Yule!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2008, 14:08

@ Bassman: are you maybe referring to something like this? From the official website it looks like it's quite serious. :)

I'm jokin', of course. :p But I agree with you about the proliferation of Christmas albums during this period...everybody does one. it's the very same thing as with dance music during the summer.

And by the way, I don't think it's highly unlikely that Laibach won't ever do a Christmas album. :D

@ Sweetpea: I don't have a recording of the full ballet, so I'm not familiar with "Waltz of the Snowflakes". I thought of Fantasia as that sequence in the film features snowflakes. So, my mistake - sorry. ;) However, I understand you perfectly about the wintery mood.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Dec. 03 2008, 15:04

Hey, it's VERY likely that Laibach could do a Christmas album.  They have a very healthy sense of humor.  Have you not seen/heard their version of "Across The Universe"?  Or Queen's "One Vision"?  Or Opus' "Life Is Life"?  Their cover versions almost supplant the originals!

:)
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 03 2008, 15:37

Quote (Sweetpea @ Dec. 03 2008, 19:05)
***I don't celebrate Christmas as Christians do***

Finally!
A woman with a brain that doesn´t feel the need to celebrate F%&¤king christmas...

Dear Pea, will you marry me?    :D  :)
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2008, 04:52

CHRISTMAS INTERMISSION:

With Gwen Stefani's - Wind it Uuup.

Hell Yeh -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xdOXmrBXAiE

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2008, 07:49

Great video but not enough shots of her in the nun outfit.

Snow`s absolutely bleaching down here at the moment.Or "coming down like Billio" as my mother used to say???... Just seen a guy from the council trying to throw down some grit on the path fall flat on his backside while leaning back with his shovel..Hilarious!..Saying that I was down a few times myself earlier,playing football with the dog.Still a pretty tight game though,all things considered.The dog won on penalties after extra time.Match should never have been played though imo,absolute disgrace.

There`s some local dudes here really getting into the whole Christmas spirit thing.Looks like they blew the entire budget on one third of Atomic Kitten..Fair enough I suppose!  :p

Anyway I agree with The Prisoner here about Wham`s Last Christmas.You know there are certain Christmas records that I would pay good money to never have to hear again for the rest of my born days.That track being one of them.Just yesterday for instance I was in my local Wilkinsons,buying some Christmas decorations and Brillo Pads.And there it was over the bloody tannoy system,blaring out like synthesised treacle vomit.You just can`t get away from it.And then when you think about it a lot of these department stores and radio stations,start playing all this crap in early november.You know thinking about it logicaly we`re spending close to one tenth of our lives listening to Christmas records,outside of our own homes.I don`t think that`s a good thing myself.And even stuff like Slade and Roy Wood etc,which I used to like when I was younger.Well yeah I`m fed up with them now,big time.We should melt all those things down and burn the master tapes or something.And then whilst we`re on,we could have the tortured memory of Shaky`s Merry Chritmas Everyone completely erased from our minds via hypnosis as well.Anything just to get rid of it,it needs to go.And then records that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Christmas,but they get played anyway cos they had snow in the video or something.You know like that bloody East 17 thing for instance,I mean what the hell is the deal with that?It`s not even about Christmas man,and there it is taking up one tenth of my existance...Unbelievable!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2008, 10:25

Spinal Tap-Christmas With the Devil

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 04 2008, 15:45

I find that prisoner's blood lust and nigh on maniac ranting's are some what a little out of place in this thread, basicaly the prisoner comes across like a bit of a violent bastard with an uneasy tendancy to refer to maiming and pain.
This single minded hatred of a festival that a lot of people enjoy should not be fested on the section of tubular net concerning favourite.
Any sort of ill tempered  killer rage should be discussed with one's Doctor, who I'm sure could help with such a distressing condish.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 04 2008, 19:22

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Dec. 04 2008, 20:45)
I find that prisoner's blood lust and nigh on maniac ranting's are some what a little out of place in this thread, basicaly the prisoner comes across like a bit of a violent bastard with an uneasy tendancy to refer to maiming and pain.
This single minded hatred of a festival that a lot of people enjoy should not be fested on the section of tubular net concerning favourite.
Any sort of ill tempered  killer rage should be discussed with one's Doctor, who I'm sure could help with such a distressing condish.

RELAX big belly, no needs for personal insults...take a pill - it´s only "salty"/sarcastic/ironic humor..
maybe you should learn to read between the lines and lighten up..

SORRY if you actually believed santa was killed....it´s impossible - the dude doesn´t even exist - never have - never will..  :cool:
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2008, 08:57

There was a Thread Last Year or maybe Year before where a Few Member wrote Lyrics for Julci Dubilo..   Bump it up if anyone spots it..        :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2008, 14:40

Hey prisoner leave this thread alone, all alone like you.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2008, 19:19

@ 3Wheeler: "In Dulci Jubilo" actually has lyrics, in Latin, where the last word in the title is "Iubilo" rather than "Jubilo". They are here. But of course the carol that's traditionally sung at Christmas (also here) is very, very slower than Mike's rendition of it... try to sing the Latin lyrics along with it without running out of breath. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2008, 13:26

Here's my 2 pence worth...

10 (not necessarily) Chistmas Tunes (in no particular order, and not including MO):
01) Delius: Sleigh Ride (Richard Hickox)
02) Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth (Bing & Bowie)
03) December Will Be Magic Again (first version) (Kate)
04) Chistmas Time Is Here Again (Vince Guaraldi)
05) Ring Out, Solstice Bells (Tull)
06) The Christmas Song (Mel Torme)
07) Father Christmas (Kinks)
08) Baby, It's Cold Outside (Rod Stewart & Dolly Parton)
09) A Winter's Tale (Queen)
10) Somewhere In My Memory (John Williams OR Bette Midler)

5 Trad. Carols (don't care who does 'em, as long as they're not butchered, but preferably instrumental):
01) Silent Night
02) Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
03) The First Noel
04) We Three Kings
05) Oh Holy Night
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2008, 16:56

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 05 2008, 19:19)
@ 3Wheeler: "In Dulci Jubilo" actually has lyrics, in Latin, where the last word in the title is "Iubilo" rather than "Jubilo". They are here. But of course the carol that's traditionally sung at Christmas (also here) is very, very slower than Mike's rendition of it... try to sing the Latin lyrics along with it without running out of breath. :D

Ah Cool..  Luckily there appears to be a English Version too..

will Play the Tune to see if they match up..

There Was a thread though where about 10 members wrote lyrics for the MO Speeded up version which was quite good Fun..     Cheers Nigel.. :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2008, 13:48

Incantations part 3 and 4 is good for the soul this time of year.

The 5 minute guitar solo in this excerpt from part 3 is just awesome. Mike's in a league of his own.   

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rcFIg2rHTD8

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2008, 16:34

Incantation is fantastic at any time of the year.  Part 4 is king.
Anyway, regarding Christmas music:
You could try my alter ego Jim Brodie with his metal-edged Christmas carolshere

Actually the joke here is that this year famous Heavy Rock artists have indeed put a proper album together of Xmas music - it isn't any better than my effort - and at least I was just trying to have a laugh!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Dec. 07 2008, 18:18

Quote (captainjjb @ Dec. 07 2008, 21:34)
Incantation is fantastic at any time of the year.  Part 4 is king.
Anyway, regarding Christmas music:
You could try my alter ego Jim Brodie with his metal-edged Christmas carolshere

Actually the joke here is that this year famous Heavy Rock artists have indeed put a proper album together of Xmas music - it isn't any better than my effort - and at least I was just trying to have a laugh!

:laugh: Nice work Captain Sir.I particularly enjoyed the segway into Captain Pugwash there,and Silent Night rawks big time heh heh..

I think there`s quite a few of those heavy metal christmas albums kind of "out there" already to be honest.I`ve actualy got one myself called Merry Axemas,which has got people like Al Di Meola,Trevor Rabin,Ted Nugent etc on there..But yeah it`s pretty darn terrible for the most part I have to admit.Still not as bad as Keith Emmerson`s Christmas album though,or this effort below here(believe it or not he plays it totaly serious as well,unbelievable stuff )

One guitar Christmas album that I do kind of like though is this effort below,from those wonderful surf type dudes Los Straitjackets.All very talented players but with their tongues firmly in their cheeks as well.

Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2008, 06:44

Bing and The Andrew Sisters Christmas (side 1).

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TvgGMffRN2g&feature=related

--------------
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Dec. 17 2008, 23:53

It's currently minus 1 centigrade where I live in the US, and it's great! People I work with think I'm stark raving mad for enjoying this weather, but it feels like Christmas to me.

My predictable choice of Christmas songs is:

1) In Dulci Jubilo/On Horseback - Mike Oldfield
2) Merry Xmas Everybody - Slade
3) Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John & Yoko
4) Stop The Cavalry - Jona Lewie
5) I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake
6) The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

Other less obvious choices:

1) Pictures At An Exhibition - Emerson Lake & Palmer
(I don't know why but parts of this sound very festive)
2) The last ten minutes of Side One of Hergest Ridge
(probably the sleigh bells)
3) Don't You Want Me - The Human League
(Christmas number one in 1981)
4) Main themes from films such as The Great Escape, Where Eagles Dare and The Italian Job
(I never tire of watching these at Christmas even if everyone else does)
5) A lot of early Queen, mainly Queen II and Night At The Opera

I miss the days of novelty Christmas singles such as Dennis Waterman and George Cole's "What Are Gonna Get For Her Indoors" - bring them back!
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 18 2008, 04:56

Quote (Major Gowen @ Dec. 17 2008, 23:53)
It's currently minus 1 centigrade where I live in the US, and it's great! People I work with think I'm stark raving mad for enjoying this weather, but it feels like Christmas to me.

My predictable choice of Christmas songs is:

6) The Power Of Love - Frankie Goes To Hollywood

A Friend of mine has just done a nice cover of "Power of Love"   PM me and ill give you the E Mail address to get a Free Copy..  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
42 replies since Dec. 02 2008, 10:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net