Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 10 Albums You Can't Live Without, What are forum members top 10 albums?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2009, 08:51

That's better :laugh:

If you were english and had been driving back in the 70's the 8 track machine would have been installed in a Mk II Ford Cortina!With furry dice hanging from rear view mirror.
I saw the 8-track for HR once.Couldn't play it cos i don't have an 8 track machine to play it on but i wish i'd bought it just to have in my collection. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
HRFanUSA Offline

Posted: July 31 2009, 08:58

Quote (The Caveman @ July 31 2009, 08:51)

If you were english and had been driving back in the 70's the 8 track machine would have been installed in a Mk II Ford Cortina!With furry dice hanging from rear view mirror.
I saw the 8-track for HR once.Couldn't play it cos i don't have an 8 track machine to play it on but i wish i'd bought it just to have in my collection. :laugh:

Hi Caveman,

I've seen the 8-track of Hergest Ridge on eBay lately, sealed. It may still be there, and would be a nice oddity for any MO collection-
Harry
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: July 31 2009, 08:59

Quote (The Caveman @ July 31 2009, 14:51)

I am not English, but I remember this player in my father's car...even here in Switzerland! :D

By the way, Caveman mate, have a look at this link!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIKE-OL.....c0.m14

:cool:

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 31 2009, 09:14

There's an Ommadawn one and an OTB one as well as the Hergest Ridge one.Cool.Thanks guys.Just need to find a player and some furry dice now.Oh and the car of course. :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2009, 15:59

If I was stranded on a desert island, presumably alone, then I'd be needing motivational music that will keep me in good spirits and humoured. So that would rule out any soft or 'slit your wrists' kind of stuff - keeping it very neutral and positive. Only 2 Mike Oldfield albums would qualify...

1. MO - Amarok
2. MO - Five Miles Out
3. U2 - Under a Blood Red Sky (live)
4. Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
5. Bowie - Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps)
6. Ian Dury and the Blockheads - Do it Yourself
7. Black Legend - You See the Trouble With me
8. 10cc - How Dare You
9. Breakbeat Kaos - Adam F/ DJ Fresh
10. Men at Work - Business as Usual

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2009, 19:45

In no particular order, and subject to change in less than a minute from now :D, here are my 10 precious all-time records:

Amarok (Mike Oldfield)
Tubular Bells II (Mike Oldfield)
The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
More Soundtrack (Pink Floyd)
Remember That Night DVD (David Gilmour)
Abbey Road (The Beatles)
The Turn of a Friendly Card (APP)
Eye in the Sky (APP)
Old Friends Boxed Set (Simon & Garfunkel)

@ Yanouch & Caveman: I guess that 8-track tape contains the original mix of HR. A friend of mine has got a cassette copy (an ordinary cassette) which features the original mix. He digitalized it into a CD and sent it to me quite some time ago, but unfortunately that CD (like most self-burned CD-Rs I have) got de-magnetized and now it's full of noises...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2009, 21:01

At this moment,the only album that  has its place on my list without doubt is called Amarok,by a certain Mike Oldfield  :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2009, 21:18

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 03 2009, 19:45)
In no particular order, and subject to change in less than a minute from now :D, here are my 10 precious all-time records:

Amarok (Mike Oldfield)
Tubular Bells II (Mike Oldfield)
The Beatles (a.k.a. The White Album)
Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd)
More Soundtrack (Pink Floyd)
Remember That Night DVD (David Gilmour)
Abbey Road (The Beatles)
The Turn of a Friendly Card (APP)
Eye in the Sky (APP)
Old Friends Boxed Set (Simon & Garfunkel)

@ Yanouch & Caveman: I guess that 8-track tape contains the original mix of HR. A friend of mine has got a cassette copy (an ordinary cassette) which features the original mix. He digitalized it into a CD and sent it to me quite some time ago, but unfortunately that CD (like most self-burned CD-Rs I have) got de-magnetized and now it's full of noises...

The "More" soundtrack was always my favourite PF record... Have you checked out the film itself, Ugo? It contains some PF stuff never released elsewhere, notably the song "Seabirds". Agree with your number 1 and 2 choices too, although I'd be tempted to include Islands as well.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 03 2009, 22:20

Ugo, are you sure the problem in your CDs have to do with magnetism? The process of writing and reading CDs, even CD-Rs, is entirely optical. I think someone's trying to fool ya! :)

Now, I wonder if I can make a list? I think my biggest problem is that this list would probably change every 4 months or so. But here's a rough one:

1. Amarok - Mike Oldfield
2. Ultravisitor - Squarepusher
3. Dots and Loops - Stereolab
4. The Mollusk - Ween
5. Heaven or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins
6. Albedo 0.39 - Vangelis
7. In Rainbows - Radiohead
8. The Soft Bulletin - The Flaming Lips
9. Amber - Autechre
10. Takk... - Sigur Rós

Wow, this is sketchy. Really, I don't know if those are the 10 albums I can't live without, but if I were leaving for the island and had to make a choice NOW, that would be it.

I would gladly exchange all ten records for my lady, and I'd call it a bargain (the best I ever had).

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 03:07

@Wiga Do It Yourself is a really under-rated album.I get fed up of people saying Dury only ever recorded one good album(new boots & panties)When in actual fact he recorded a whole wealth of great material down the years.Have you ever read his biography?It`s a superb read.

1 XTC..English Settlement
2 The Beatles..Sgt Pepper
3 Mike Oldfield..Incantations
4 The Who..Who`s Next
5 The Damned..Strawberries
6 Talk Talk..The Colour Of Spring
7 E.L.O..Out Of The Blue
8 The Divine Comedy..Absent Friends
9 Neil Young/Crazy Horse..Ragged Glory
10 Squeeze..East Side Story
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 04:59

What would happen if I were to escape the Island? As Tom Hanks did in "Castaway"? I could be picked up by a european ship of some kind. Gain control of it, then take the CD's I want and in a running firefight escape the ship on a life raft. To end up on another island. The same one visited by Leonardo Dicaprio a few years ago, but now abandoned due to conflict between him and a redhead and the pot "protectors". This Island is ablaze with growth(of all kinds) except human. I now have 10 CD's. What are they now? In no order at all.....

1. Synergy-Games
2. Justin Hayward-Songwriter
3. Pink Floyd-The Division Bell
4. Steely Dan-Katy Lied
5. MO-TB2
6. Renaissance-Song For All Seasons
7. Steppenwolf-For Ladies Only
8. Steely Dan-Pretzel Logic
9. Camel-Pressure Points Live
10. MO-Incantations

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 06:36

True Scatter,(Happy Bday btw) this could turn out to be a long journey and adventure, and it is also possible that we could get picked up by a friendly ship. If this was the case, having left my 'courage building' cds behind on the beach, the 1st thing I'd request (apart from an ice cold Coke), would be some music to soothe, like from "Elbow" ("The Seldom Seen Kid" album) - whilst I catch my breadth. Maybe not for long though...and I might need to acquire an alternative set of 10cds ...(or 10cc) before I abandon ship...
Mirrorball - Elbow

Thanks for that Dirk - I will put Ian Dury's biography on my xmas list. "Reason's to be Cheerful" and "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick" (from New Boots and Panties) I specifically needed with me on the island - and fortunately are bonus tracks on the "Do it Yourself" album.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 08:23

@ Sir M.: I don't know what's the cause of the problems in my CD-Rs, but I'm sure that the problems are in the CDs themselves, because they make the same noises (like a badly scratched vinyl record) on every player I've got. Maybe magnetism is not an issue here, but I honestly have no idea about what happens to CD-Rs. It even happens to some of the ones I made, so no-one is trying to fool me. I'm not that stupid. :D

@ Nightspore: no, I've never seen the film (is it available on DVD?), although a PF-obsessed friend of mine told me that the music is much better than the film itself... just like The Killing Fields. :D I discovered the More soundtrack album through "Ibiza Bar", which, strangely enough, was featured in a commercial down here; then I listened to the rest of it and it became very quickly my second-favourite PF album (after Wish You Were Here, which I consider their masterpiece, but way before Dark Side, The Wall and all the others). I also love the other PF soundtrack, Obscured by Clouds, which, once again, I discovered through one song - namely, Gilmour's "Wot's... uh the Deal", one of the "oldies but goldies" he included in his recent DVD releases. I essentially bought the Oh, by the Way box just to have those two soundtrack albums, as I had already bought the earlier box (Shine On) and various single CDs before that. Is La Vallée any good? :)
About Mike Oldfield's Islands: I was indeed tempted to include it, as "Islands" (the song) is my second-favourite song of all time, and "The Wind Chimes" is ab-fab... but I think the album as a whole is not as strong as the other two I included.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 09:24

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 04 2009, 08:23)
@ Nightspore: no, I've never seen the film (is it available on DVD?), although a PF-obsessed friend of mine told me that the music is much better than the film itself... just like The Killing Fields. :D I discovered the More soundtrack album through "Ibiza Bar", which, strangely enough, was featured in a commercial down here; then I listened to the rest of it and it became very quickly my second-favourite PF album (after Wish You Were Here, which I consider their masterpiece, but way before Dark Side, The Wall and all the others). I also love the other PF soundtrack, Obscured by Clouds, which, once again, I discovered through one song - namely, Gilmour's "Wot's... uh the Deal", one of the "oldies but goldies" he included in his recent DVD releases. I essentially bought the Oh, by the Way box just to have those two soundtrack albums, as I had already bought the earlier box (Shine On) and various single CDs before that. Is La Vallée any good? :)
About Mike Oldfield's Islands: I was indeed tempted to include it, as "Islands" (the song) is my second-favourite song of all time, and "The Wind Chimes" is ab-fab... but I think the album as a whole is not as strong as the other two I included.

Hi Ugo, More is a much better film than people will have you believe, and yes, it's available on DVD. The French DVD release has a different view of the psychedlic windmill that appears on the album cover. Ummagumma is my second favourite Floyd album; I'm not keen on the period from DSotM to The Wall, which I find too negative. I'm quite fond of The Division Bell, though, and about the only Floyd track I listen to regularly now is "Big Theme" - a terrific instrumental - from their car racing documentary La Carrera Panamericana (available as a video but not as a soundtrack album, although bootlegs exist, of course).

They also did soundtracks to Antonioni's Zabriskie Point, and The Committee; the latter was released as a DVD a couple of years ago. (The Wikipedia article confuses the film with another of the same title, though.) The film of La Vallée is also good (except for a terrible acting performance by an Australian towards the beginning); Schroeder is a good director, after all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 09:51

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 04 2009, 08:23)
@ Sir M.: I don't know what's the cause of the problems in my CD-Rs, but I'm sure that the problems are in the CDs themselves, because they make the same noises (like a badly scratched vinyl record) on every player I've got. Maybe magnetism is not an issue here, but I honestly have no idea about what happens to CD-Rs. It even happens to some of the ones I made, so no-one is trying to fool me. I'm not that stupid. :D

Perhaps the CDs got badly scratched in the innermost portions, or even a piece of the aluminum layer got peeled off; this has happened to me before, and the peeling off problem is quite bizarre but happens often with low quality CD-R's, but not with regular CDs (cheap CD-R's have the aluminum disc stuck to the surface of the plastic, while good quality discs have it sandwiched inside the plastic). I'm pretty sure the problem doesn't involve magnetism, since aluminum is not magnetic. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 10:13

@ Sir M.: No, my CD-Rs aren't scratched at all and, on the ones that have noises, the aluminium seems not to be damaged at all. However, the CD that my friend burned from his HR tape mix has become entirely transparent, and maybe that is the problem. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 10:43

@ Nightspore.I totally agree with you that the period between Dark Side and The Wall is very negative although i quite enjoy Wish You Were Here now and then.I much prefer Floyd before mega stardom hit them.My all time favourite Floyd album is Meddle which,to my mind, catches them at their best just before they hit really really big.I have Obscured by Clouds and More but i haven't really had much chance to listen to them since they were burned off for me with a ton of other Floyd stuff that i previously only had on tape by a friend and i have so much there that these two have become somewhat overlooked.When i have listened to Obscured by Clouds i was immediately struck by the nice 'squishy' synth sound which,as a fan of Gong and all early synth sounds,grabbed my attention.More listening required.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 18:29

Quote (nightspore @ July 29 2009, 00:28)
Quote (The Caveman @ July 28 2009, 09:18)
7)Rumours-Fleetwood Mac

I remember seeing an amusing sketch on Who Dares Wins where the police pull over someone and check his cassette tapes. When they find a Fleetwood Mac they proceed to arrest him. Later, the cassette proves to be "the early stuff" and he's let off!

"Who Dares Wins" wouldn't that be a programme about the SAS????
Oh yes I love the early Fleetwood Mac stuff, I don't have much of it but, maybe if I had some more cash to spare I'd own more.

Top 10 albums, oh I don't know based on recent playlists and in no specific order

1)Tubular Bells
2) Dance Of Death-Iron Maiden
3) QueenII
4) Hergest Ridge  
5) A Night At The Opera _Queen
6) Let It Bleed- The Rolling Stones
7) Ommadawn
8) In The Court Of The Crimson King- King Crimson  
9) Beggars Banquet- The Rolling Stones
10) A Day at The Races- Queen
I haven't finished yet, Cant restrict myself to 10
11) Sin After Sin _Judas Priest
12) Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
13) Days Of Future Passed The Moody blues, (need to get that)
14) Brain Salad Surgery - ELP
15) The "Meat Album" Edgar Broughton Band
16) Jules Gray- by Jules Gray, those of you who posted on here c'95 will probably know who I mean
17) Dark Side Of The Moon- Pink FLoyd
18) Hunky Dory _ David Bowie
19) Machine Head- Deep Purple
20) The "Black Album" -Metallica
21 Led Zeppelin 3
22) POmP & Circumstance Marches- Elgar
23) Catch A Fire- Bob Marley
24) Marshall Mathers LP -Eminem
25) Selling England By The Pound - Genesis

Yes so a bit of a mixed bag depending on mood, oh I left Led Zeps Physical Graffiti off, as did I with Bowies  Ziggy Stardust  Queen, and also Jazz by Queen, oh I might as well round up to 30, OH OK Marillion Script For A Jesters Tear . I can't seem to go anywhere without taking a stack of CDs with me    :/  :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 20:34

What a great thread!  If nothing else, it certainly shows that MO fans have very diverse musical tastes!

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 20:44

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 04 2009, 18:29)
"Who Dares Wins" wouldn't that be a programme about the SAS????
Oh yes I love the early Fleetwood Mac stuff, I don't have much of it but, maybe if I had some more cash to spare I'd own more.

Moonchild, you can read about "Who Dares Wins" here":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dares_Wins_(TV_series)

Pretending that there was an SAS connection was part of the joke!
Profile PM 
90 replies since July 27 2009, 19:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net