Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: 10 Albums You Can't Live Without, What are forum members top 10 albums?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 20:48

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 04 2009, 10:43)
@ Nightspore.I totally agree with you that the period between Dark Side and The Wall is very negative although i quite enjoy Wish You Were Here now and then.I much prefer Floyd before mega stardom hit them.My all time favourite Floyd album is Meddle which,to my mind, catches them at their best just before they hit really really big.I have Obscured by Clouds and More but i haven't really had much chance to listen to them since they were burned off for me with a ton of other Floyd stuff that i previously only had on tape by a friend and i have so much there that these two have become somewhat overlooked.When i have listened to Obscured by Clouds i was immediately struck by the nice 'squishy' synth sound which,as a fan of Gong and all early synth sounds,grabbed my attention.More listening required.

Caveman, Animals is my favourite of the "negative" albums: the line "You radiate cold shafts of broken glass" is pretty good poetry, by anyone's standards. (So is the couplet
"Breaking the darkness/Waking the grapevine" from "A Saucerful of Secrets".) I like Meddle too, but unfortunately I associate it with rather a dreary part of my life. (Music is very associational for me, unfortunately.) "Seamus" and to a lesser extent "San Tropez" spoil the album a bit, in my opinion.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2009, 23:50

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 05 2009, 00:44)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 04 2009, 18:29)
"Who Dares Wins" wouldn't that be a programme about the SAS????
Oh yes I love the early Fleetwood Mac stuff, I don't have much of it but, maybe if I had some more cash to spare I'd own more.

Moonchild, you can read about "Who Dares Wins" here":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Dares_Wins_(TV_series)

Pretending that there was an SAS connection was part of the joke!

I don't recall the series, "Who Dares Wins" , I think it must've probabaly been mid-late 80s , just before I started to watch late night TV.  I know having Rory McGrath on there would put me off, don't like the bloke, maybe it's something to do with his beard.

" I think Who Dares Wins has also come into popular culture as well as being the motto of the SAS, I guess "Del Boy" from Only Fools And Horses is to blame. THat reminds me I guess I'd better pack some more parcels for troops, yes I'm a volunteer welfare worker with the Royal British Legion , and I've been given series 1 eps of OFAH, the freebee DVDs that came in The Sun "newspaper" , for the parcels.

Oh yes have you realised that every pub seems to have their own "SAS man", who was in The Regiment, and was at the Iranian Embassy Siege and according to "SAS man" he was first one in through the window.   Maybe it's someone reading Andy Mc Nab's  books , and he really is ex SAS  Hero turned author   http://www.andymcnab.co.uk/    :cool:  :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 00:35

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 05 2009, 00:48)
Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 04 2009, 10:43)
@ Nightspore.I totally agree with you that the period between Dark Side and The Wall is very negative although i quite enjoy Wish You Were Here now and then.I much prefer Floyd before mega stardom hit them.My all time favourite Floyd album is Meddle which,to my mind, catches them at their best just before they hit really really big.I have Obscured by Clouds and More but i haven't really had much chance to listen to them since they were burned off for me with a ton of other Floyd stuff that i previously only had on tape by a friend and i have so much there that these two have become somewhat overlooked.When i have listened to Obscured by Clouds i was immediately struck by the nice 'squishy' synth sound which,as a fan of Gong and all early synth sounds,grabbed my attention.More listening required.

Caveman, Animals is my favourite of the "negative" albums: the line "You radiate cold shafts of broken glass" is pretty good poetry, by anyone's standards. (So is the couplet
"Breaking the darkness/Waking the grapevine" from "A Saucerful of Secrets".) I like Meddle too, but unfortunately I associate it with rather a dreary part of my life. (Music is very associational for me, unfortunately.) "Seamus" and to a lesser extent "San Tropez" spoil the album a bit, in my opinion.

I agree with you nightspore. Echoes is an epic track, oh yes "Animals"  that's one of my favourite PF albums, and I love The Wall, esp every track up to and including "Comfortably Numb" I also love the Syd Barrett era Floyd Piper At The Gates of Dawn, and also A Saucerful of Secrets. Syd was a genius, just a shame he took too much LSD.  I know from my younger days  I found an LSD trip, or eating a  space cake, esp with the amount my then husband would put in,  was more isolating and lonely, than being pleasurable, that's why I choose to keep a level head.

OH yes about Atom Heart Mother, i don't know why PF don't like it, OK Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast I often skip.  I like the title track, fom the opening, I forgt what note it is, E sharp i think. a bit unsettling start to an epic Prog track.  I love the songs esp "Fat Old Sun"         :cool:  :D , a brilliant vastly underrated track, possibly the first to feature church bells, at the beginning and end, ah makes me think of a lazy warm summer afternoon, in an English village, the sound of willow on red leather, I don't like cricket really , too slow, but there's something quintessentially English about it, as thre is Morris Dancing and drinking pints of real ale, to have the peace and tranquility interrupted, by the sound of a lone Spitfire on a fly past. Just love the sound of those Rolls Royce Merlin engines     :cool: .   Oh sorry FOS , I wonder if Mike revisited FOS for FATC.

Oh yes the Rolling stones also did "Their Satanic Majesties Request"  album, again maybe this could be a prog  album. even if it isn't regarded as such, as It did have a re curring theme, and I think it was also about the lonliness of tripping out , as in 2000 Light Years From Home  :cool:. I think this is the first rock album i remember hearing.  I would ask my Dad for a song about a rainbow, one i think I would've sung at school/playgroup, but he didn't have that but would play me "She's a Rainbow" by the Stones instead.  OK not the greatest album in the Stones'  catalogue, but one I like none the less.  I do think this album showcases the musical talents of Brian Jones, I think possibly one of the greatest musicians ever!!!!  It's just a pity that he was too stoned towards the end , and became the first rock casualty.   However I ry not to go in for conspiracy theroies too much, otherwise I'd end up totally paranoid , but I do think Brian's death could be  murder,  well possibly  not murder , but manslaughter.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 03:55

Fat Old Sun is a great track.Gilmour revisited it on Live In Gdansk (which i know i have spelt wrong).The way that HUGE guitar solo comes in always makes me smile.
 Oh and on Animals the crack at Mary Whitehouse is a nice touch.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 05:21

I used to quite like Who Dares Wins,although I don`t think I ever saw too many episodes of it.It was always entertaining when Tony Robinson(later Baldrick of course) decided to suddenly wander about the studio audience in a state of total undress.You never see that kind of thing going on during Time Team.After that show Mulville & McGrath made the under-rated series Chelmsford 123,which I actualy enjoyed a lot more.Even though it was pretty much a poor imitation of the Blackadder series I suppose.Sadly I think Mulville & McGrath fell out with each other not long after that show,and have never spoken to each other since.It`s a shame really as I always thought they complimented each other really well as a kind of double act almost.I seen Mulville`s name crop up recently as a producer on that terrible Krod Mondoon thing that`s just been on.That said he`s been involved in worse shows since his work with McGrath that`s for sure.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 07:13

Quote (Dirk Star @ Aug. 05 2009, 05:21)
I used to quite like Who Dares Wins,although I don`t think I ever saw too many episodes of it.It was always entertaining when Tony Robinson(later Baldrick of course) decided to suddenly wander about the studio audience in a state of total undress.You never see that kind of thing going on during Time Team.After that show Mulville & McGrath made the under-rated series Chelmsford 123,which I actualy enjoyed a lot more.Even though it was pretty much a poor imitation of the Blackadder series I suppose.Sadly I think Mulville & McGrath fell out with each other not long after that show,and have never spoken to each other since.It`s a shame really as I always thought they complimented each other really well as a kind of double act almost.I seen Mulville`s name crop up recently as a producer on that terrible Krod Mondoon thing that`s just been on.That said he`s been involved in worse shows since his work with McGrath that`s for sure.

Jimmy Mulville was also in the sitcom That's Love,which was quite funny. He was my favourite in Who Dares Wins. It was filmed in front of a studio audience; and one of my favourite bits was when Mulville announces that "one in three people are gay". He then goes up to the audience and slowly counts the people, saying one, two, three, at which point he puts his hand on a guy's shoulder and smiles at him!

I think Chemlsford 123 was better than Blackadder I and IV but not as good as Blackadder II and III.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 07:19

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 04 2009, 23:50)
 I know having Rory McGrath on there would put me off, don't like the bloke, maybe it's something to do with his beard.

He speaks very highly of you, Moonchild...  :D

But a hippy who hates beards? Whatever next? An aversion to sandals and flares ("They're coming back!" was Neil's pathetic refrain in The Young Ones.)????
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 08:13

Depends wether it's a sandals and socks combination.I wear sort of flip-flop/sandal things in summer but never with socks.Just looks wrong (even if there is pictoral evidence of Oldfield wearing just that).Flares....well i was forced to wear them in the 70's (there's pictoral evidence of this too). :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 09:48

Quote (The Caveman @ Aug. 05 2009, 08:13)
Depends wether it's a sandals and socks combination.I wear sort of flip-flop/sandal things in summer but never with socks.Just looks wrong (even if there is pictoral evidence of Oldfield wearing just that).Flares....well i was forced to wear them in the 70's (there's pictoral evidence of this too). :laugh:

Here in Oz, it's the tendency to wear socks and sandals that we most like to laugh at in the "poms"!  :p
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 10:33

It is an unforgivable crime! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 11:36

Quote (nightspore @ Aug. 05 2009, 11:19)
Quote (moonchildhippy @ Aug. 04 2009, 23:50)
 I know having Rory McGrath on there would put me off, don't like the bloke, maybe it's something to do with his beard.

He speaks very highly of you, Moonchild...  :D

But a hippy who hates beards? Whatever next? An aversion to sandals and flares ("They're coming back!" was Neil's pathetic refrain in The Young Ones.)????

yes generally I prefer the clean shaven look.  OK maybe some rok stars suited beards, I know a beard looked good on Mike c1974 or so. i think it was when my then  husband  decided to sprout one I wouldn't kiss him , as his 'tash got up my nose.

I like sandals and flares, I wear them in summer. OK my boyfriend calls me a "part time hippy". i like the hippy look, flaredjeans/skirts, bell sleeved tops, beads, but I'm not maybe the out and out hippy i thought i was, perhaps I need to change my name to Moonhildhippyish.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 12:19

Lol!The worst ever sandal/socks crime i ever saw was a teacher we used to have who habitually wore shorts just above the knees and socks that went almost up to the knee and Jesus sandals.The second worst can be seen on the inner sleeve of Ommadawn.Check out Terry Oldfield on the group photo.Thick looking woolly socks and sandals.We English are such a stylish nation  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 14:00

Babes like clean shaven. This has been told to me many times.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 15:08

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 05 2009, 14:00)

not always the case...i like whiskers  ;)

10 albums impossible, can do 15

1) Ommadawn
2) Tubular Bells 73
3) Amarok
4) Hergest Ridge
5) Platinum
6) Music of the Spheres
7) Absolution ~ MUSE
8) West Ryder Lunatic Asylum ~ KASABIAN
9) Ecto ~ HAPPY RHODES
10) The Man Who Sold the World ~ DAVID BOWIE
11) Moon Safari ~ AIR
12) Welcome to the Monkey House ~ DANDY WARHOLS
13) In Silico ~ PENDULUM
14) Guero ~ BECK
15) 18 ~ MOBY

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 17:12

Quote (bee @ Aug. 05 2009, 19:08)
Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 05 2009, 14:00)

not always the case...i like whiskers  ;)

Only on cats  :) , my cat however likes Whiskas or Felix.

Yes i agree with Scatterplot, I prefer clean shaven, I do think stubble looks rugged on men. Like   my  fella when he's been too busy to shave/or can't be bothered  , the only thing is without shaving it feels like sandpaper, so if it involves kissing then I prefer clean shaven.
Oh yes not that my fella has to have stubble to appear manly, as he is a REAL man, ie by that i mean he's tall muscular, with tattoos, and does blokey things, and will kick the shite out of anyone who hurts me, but he is also wonderfully onsiderate and caring too         :cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2009, 23:28

Well I never thought anyone else would remember Who Dares Wins - great show, it would be interesting to watch it again.

As for the ten albums, in no particular order:

1) Hergest Ridge - Mike Oldfield
2) Heroes - David Bowie
3) Sound Affects - The Jam
4) Exorcising Ghosts - Japan (do compilations count?)
5) Power, Corruption & Lies - New Order
6) The Gospel According To The Meninblack - The Stranglers
7) Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
8) Spirit Of Eden - Talk Talk
9) Roxy Music - Roxy Music
10) Searching For The Young Soul Rebels - Dexys Midnight Runners
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2009, 04:52

Viva Roxy Music! Especially Flesh+Blood and Avalon! Thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday, now 3.75 hours gone. I had fun. Now I be kickin' it with some alkeehol. I read some time ago after Ferry did his Dylan remake album, Roxy would do an original album. Where is it? No word yet....
Jimbo

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2009, 05:34

Well here's my alternative list of 10 tracks - with great lyrics for singing along to.

1. Dance on a Volcano - GENESIS
2. Bullet the Blue Sky - U2
3. Da Do Do Do Da Da Da Da - POLICE
4. Radio Ga Ga - QUEEN
5. Lucky Stars - DEAN FRIEDMAN
6. Personal Jesus - DEPECHE MODE
7. Moonage Daydream - BOWIE
8. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick  - IAN DURY
9. Perfect Day - VARIOUS
10 Come on Eileen - DEXY'S (promped by Major Gowen)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
miar Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2009, 14:31

In random order:

Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Mike Oldfield - Amarok
Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Yes - Close to the Edge
Bruford - One of a kind
Camel - Camel
King Crimson - Red
Eddie Jobson - Zinc the green album

--------------
Mia
---------------
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2009, 18:05

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 06 2009, 09:34)
Well here's my alternative list of 10 tracks - with great lyrics for singing along to.

1. Dance on a Volcano - GENESIS
2. Bullet the Blue Sky - U2
3. Da Do Do Do Da Da Da Da - POLICE
4. Radio Ga Ga - QUEEN
5. Lucky Stars - DEAN FRIEDMAN
6. Personal Jesus - DEPECHE MODE
7. Moonage Daydream - BOWIE
8. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick  - IAN DURY
9. Perfect Day - VARIOUS
10 Come on Eileen - DEXY'S (promped by Major Gowen)

Radio Gaga- gotta do the handclaps too, I do the taps on my steering wheel when driving.  HMWYRS _ Yes I have to agree about that.  C'mon Eileen- used to have someone called Eileen at work when I was about 17, I know she used to get a bit of a ribbing "C'mon Eileen , I swear what I mean TOORATOOORAHHAYYYYY.
Moonage Daydream- yes I often blast that one out in my car, as I'm freaking out in a moonage daydream.  

Fat Bottomed Girls has me playing steering wheel drums. We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions have me waving my arms in the air , as in Queen concert finalie.  Another favourite that I blast out and sing along with, waving my arms Queen style is Journeyman by Iron Maiden        
 :cool:  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
90 replies since July 27 2009, 19:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net