Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2003, 16:30

:D

I hope so!!!!!

MIKE!!!!.... CHANGE THIS STUPID BASSSS!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
Chris-Llawen
Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2003, 17:00

i'm very curious to hear what the little orchestral bursts sound like on the new intro,

the sample was snipped just before that bit (its still on the site btw, i've just checked)
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 23 2003, 17:14

Sometimes you go to the site and it's not there, depends on how it loads I think.
Unfortunately I think it's to late to change anything, the first revue copies will be going out soon and I'm sure it's all signed sealed and delivered.

By orchestral bursts I presume you mean the bell chime sound? You can hear it in the background on that dance mix, it sounds thankfully more like the original sound than THAT BASS SOUND

If THAT BASS SOUND is proving this controversial on a 30 second excerpt then god only knows what the full album holds in store. It's interesting how people react to these things it just shows what a beloved piece of music it is.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: April 23 2003, 18:09

after listening for a while to the samples i remain saying don’t like that bass… maybe it’s just that i’m too used to the original one, where it sounds rounder, more shaped, not so weaving as in the sample. i’ve just listened to them and  right now i’m listening to the introduction in the original and comparing them i think the work with the piano is good, it sounds cleaner and real but the bass in the original’s got the right “measure”, it’s not so prominent and bland at the same time.

about the other sample… i wish it were the single version… i don’t dislike techno music… i’ve enjoyed (and still do)  listening to front 242 or nitzer ebb as a “hard” facet of this kind of music and also listen to “softer” djs. like josé padilla… i’m not closed minded, but someone said it well above,  tubular bells is something different for different reasons, i’ve always been amazed by the fact it was created by almost a child in such a short time… treating some of my pupils in that age i realize it’s a wonder that someone so young can do something like tubular bells and this is part of its geniality. all its “mistakes” are covered by the poetry of its mood and story… born from the stormy brain of a teenager in the early seventies… well, it’s just me, but i don’t find what techno music could add to the mood in tb (overall the second part of it)
but it’s true that what one can do is just listen to it and speak about being respectful…  it’s his right to redo it so many times as he wants to. it’s up to the artist to work around his works. so i’ll just listen to it and if i don’t like this new view of a great piece of music,  i have the original to keep on dreaming of the moment in which i’ll be surprised again. though i would love this happened soon… for example by the new recording next may 27th

and… can’t help being every day more curious about the ‘finale’ and ‘piltdown man’ sections… looking forward to listening to them…

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
asma
Unregistered

Posted: April 23 2003, 19:13

Yeah. In the original record, the bass sound is in a different plane. It is down, and deep. Now is a shit!!!! It is like the melody.... I think that mike can´t play a real bass now. He haven´t force for this hard strings. HOW WILL BE THE END RIFF???, with the Logic piano roll??, maybe a Midi guitar with this NOVEDOUS technic of play synths?? (TRES LUNAS SAX= :/ )Pat metheny have some times a synth sound like a trumpet with his guitar... but his technic is amazing, and that´s all. Mike now have a bad guitar play, and B series ideas and sounds. The only new sound i like is the Violin like sound wich appear for example in the classic piece of Women of Ireland. And His last OLDFIELD mark was in Dark Island from Voyager... with this Oldfieldmandolinss and this percussion claps.... But is in a low level... MIKE:::::::::WAKE UPPPPPP!!!!!!! You are the Julio Iglesias of instrumental music
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 02:44

Can anyone hear me? Am I the only one who can see my post? Please, listen to the other echoes samples. I read prople asking for more samples, and here they are! They are in Q!'s post on page five of this topic, so will people please listen to them. I know they are of awful quality, but you are still able to listen to them and make a better judgement of the project as a whole. The samples are right there, if they don't work I am happy to E-Mail them to you, just please listen to them and tell us what you think. There have been hundreds of comments about the introduction, bun no-one has commented on the other samples from the Echoes interview. They are right here in Q!'s post, so I would very much appreciate some comments.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 05:54

The echoes samples are interesting. One doesn't seem finished - I doubt whether the guitar sound will be as thin as this on the final version.

The bluesy section is great though!

What's the history of these samples? are they the new recording?
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 06:02

the echoes interview samples are much more what i’ve expected from the re recording, the bass, as u said raven4x4x, also sounds real to my ears and the guitars look great in both, inspite of the quality of the files. these samples are imho very accurate regarding the original, though they are so tiny (the first lasts 11'' and the second one 4'' ) that i can’t say more of them, just that i’m looking forward to listening to the whole thing!!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 06:45

Quote (raven4x4x @ April 24 2003, 02:44)
The samples are right there, if they don't work I am happy to E-Mail them to you

Yes, they don't work. I'd be grateful if you e-mailed them to me.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 08:19

Fingers - they were played in the background of a TresLunas radio article from America last year.

We all commented on them at the time and the reason they arn't being talked about much just now is because a) We don't know if they were the finished article and b) Because the quality of them is poor, to be fair you can't hear very well what the bass sound is like etc. As Maria said above they do however sound more like a refined version of the original playing, much more like what I was expecting. Now I really don't know what to expect.
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 08:46

This is going to be a REALLY long thread after all the instruments have been dealt with:

... Bass Synthesizer
... Grand piano...
... Sllightly distorted electric guitar
... and on, and on...
... and on...

You know, I'd love to hear a 'funny' version of The Bell where the MC constantly names the wrong instrument and gets more desperate every time:

'No - I said electric organs, NOT glockenspiel. Organs! Take the organs! There - no, the ones RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! There! No - oh never mind. Glockenspiel it is. Right. Next one...'
Profile PM 
Fingers Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 08:56

So these could be early cuts, demo ideas, or any number of other recordings from recent years then... Well, we'll know in a month then! That is if anywhere gets the thing in for release! Surprised that amazon haven't got a pre-order page up yet.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 09:05

Quote (Mark 1 @ April 24 2003, 08:46)
You know, I'd love to hear a 'funny' version of The Bell where the MC constantly names the wrong instrument and gets more desperate every time:

'No - I said electric organs, NOT glockenspiel. Organs! Take the organs! There - no, the ones RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU! There! No - oh never mind. Glockenspiel it is. Right. Next one...'

IMHO this would be the definite death of the bells’ spirit…
inside tubular bells there’s a bunch of feelings,  but i don’t find out anywhere on it something “funny” or happy… its essence is very solemn, that’s the way it is and that’s how i’d like it remained …
it’s a re recording not a caricature

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 09:37

Well - so much for me trying to lighten the athmosphere a bit... :D

IMO it's a dangerous thing when you can't take a look at the funny side of something anymore. Playing with something, including examining the brighter side of something, only deepens the enjoyment, the set of emotions that something evokes while retaining respect for the original.

I remember reading about the making of TB and sections such as the MC section or de Caveman vocal were hardly supposed to be taken too seriously.

Which it why I'm starting to worry about so many people here feeling that a different version of TB of the original will damage the original. In my view it's strong enough even if Mike'd make a waltz out of it.
:D
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: April 24 2003, 11:12

I think the "orchestral bursts" referred to earlier are the ones done on the organ?  Or the real orchestra on the Orchestral Tubular Bells?  The "Echoes" samples sound like they have the same bass as the new samples.  Maybe we're all wrong, and this is a real bass guitar, and Mike has come up with some new technique of bass guitar performance.  Well, everyone does keep saying things about how amazing and creative he "used to be".  Why not now?
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 11:45

I still don't understand the fuzz about a bass sound. I think everyone will be amazed when they hear the whole album. :)

BUT, the very first thing I'm going to do is skip to the caveman bit.... I'm REALLY curious how that will sound! If it is Mike himself (drunk or not), or John Cleese, or somebody else...

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 11:49

Wait, something just popped into my mind.

Mike orginally recorded NO vocals on the caveman bit. But after several people said (including RB) that it should include vocals, Mike said "You want vocals, I'll give you vocals!!"

So he got drunk and recorded the stuff. :laugh:

Conclusion: maybe you don't hear singing in the caveman bit at all. Just a guess... only time will tell.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
gregrobson Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 12:22

Just to add to this already lengthy discussion... :D

Bear in mind with this bass that you may not like it now, but you might do after hearing in context.

I only finally found an appreciation for The Killing Fields the other day, it's taken at least 10 attempts to play it through.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 13:07

what if the bass sounds good now.. :O so will one start hating it eventually..umm this ain't going nowhere :zzz:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: April 24 2003, 13:10

The thing I dislike most about that bass isn't so much the sound (although I do dislike that synthy texture) its that sort of pitch bending vibrato thats in it. That coupled with the fact that it's much further forward in the mix kind of ruins the subtlty completely for me. I agree that on the original it was to far back but the quad mix had it about right.

With regards to the MC and caveman bit I think people (including Mike I sometimes think) should remember that Ok it's a funny bit but it's not laugh out loud funny, whimsical would be a good description. It was done perfectly on the original by Viv Stanshall but it's the sort of thing that could easily became outright naff if done badly, TB2 just sounded cheesy as hell, all subtlty in the piece was lost and John Cleese is not a man known for his subtlty but we'll see. The Piltdown Man bit is another thing that worries me, Mike got away with it being a niave 19 year old boy, thats one of the joy's of that piece, whether a 50 year old man can pull it off is very much open to question.
Profile PM 
133 replies since April 11 2003, 07:32 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net