Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Worth it?, Is the boxed compliation worth it if...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ben Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 09 2004, 16:21

Is the boxed compliation worth it for the Tubular Bells and Ommadawn remixes? I already have the original versions and i was just wondering if the remixes are different enough to bother getting. Ta in advance

~ Ben

--------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
~ Ben
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2004, 17:23

Yes, they are different enough to bother gettin' them. :) Of course that's my only own opinion about them, and maybe you should hear someone else's thoughts [Korgscrew's? Dkaycom's? ;)] before purchasing...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 09 2004, 19:17

If you're interested in hearing alternative mixes then yes, it's worth getting...if you're not so bothered about that kind of thing, then perhaps not (depends how cheaply you can get it, really).

The Tubular Bells mix is the most different of the two, I'd say - some of the parts included are actually different recordings to those on the original (those are the Tubular Bells and the Reed and Pipe Organ from the end of part one, which were lost from the original master and so had to be replaced, and the guitar right at the end of part one, which is an alternate take that Phil Newell decided to use instead. The sailor's hornpipe at the end is an alternate version as well, with a commentary by Viv Stanshall).

Another version to get it may be if you happen to have an old SQ quadraphonic decoder lying around somewhere - the encoding is still perfectly intact on the CDs and it's well worth trying if you have the opportunity. Of course, the Boxed mix of Tubular Bells is now available on SACD, giving you a more up to date way of hearing the original Tubular Bells in quadraphonic surround.
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2004, 05:31

as Mr. Italy  ;) asked for an answer by me, I'll try another one.....
:)

apart from the remixed stuff, u'd also get the "Collaborations" stuff which shows Mike's strange (simply meant as "strange", without any good/bad-opinion in it) sides in an early stage.
my fav. of these is, was and will always be "Argiers", and if u wanna know if there was ever some M.O-(related) tune sung more crappy than  Pepsi's violations during the last years, u'll have more or less much fun wit "Speak.......".

Later,

dkay

NP: XIII Stoleti - Svatek Hladovych

--------------
Bootlegs should be shared not sold.
(BlackCottonMafia)

Find more tubular sounds at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Incantations/
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2004, 09:22

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 10 2004, 01:17)
- the encoding is still perfectly intact on the CDs [...]

[slightly off topic...] ;)

? I didn't know anything about the quad encoding being present on the CD... on the booklet it says it's stereo...  :zzz:  :/

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2004, 18:28

Total and utter rubbish! I imagine they put that message there so as not to put people off buying it - I'd guess that many people would worry if they could play it on their stereo equipment, if it said it was quad. Quadraphonic it most definitely is, though - running the albums through an SQ decoder, they unfold perfectly into quad (or at least as perfectly as SQ ever will! ). Exposed is the same - they used the SQ masters to make the CD, so the encoding is still there, even on the remastered edition. Exposed really comes alive when heard that way, but that's a subject for another topic...

There's no need to worry about the SQ encoding though - you're not losing any information by playing it in stereo, you get the front and rear signals mixed together.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2004, 17:44

I had the six wives of henry the V111 on quad but I only had a alba mono ,sad really could'nt tell any differance

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2004, 18:11

A few hours ago I tested it on my (good but ordinary...) 5.1 system - it works splendidly. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2004, 19:43

Through a Pro Logic decoder, I presume? That can work well, though it doesn't give exactly what was intended when it was mixed. I've heard that Pro Logic II does a fairly good job with QS (or Regular Matrix) recordings, but I've not tried it myself.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2004, 20:02

when i first purchased Boxed on vinyl, i was told i could get a quad mix by cross wiring a second set of speakers on opposite polarity (ie neg to pos) with the usual 2 speakers.

I spent hours as a spotty teenager in the late 70's trying and really thought i could hear a difference. Ahh the innocence of youth.

But back to the main topic, the mixes are different, and i prefer the hergest ridge better than the original, plus at the time you got the collaborations which was a real bonus then, and a few tracks still stand up today.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 03:40

I suppose wiring speakers in the opposite polarity would work after a fashion - you'd get dual stereo but with the back out of phase with the front, so it would widen out so that things placed in the centre no longer seem to be in the middle of your head.

Much better is to create a hafler matrix...now that sounds complex, but it's quite simple. Wire the negative terminals of the rear speakers to each other (so you're left with two terminals and can connect the two as if they were one speaker) then wire them across the left and right channels - see the diagram here. By doing this, the rear speakers produce a signal that's the difference between left and right (if you understand the concept of MS stereo, this is the 'side' information, whereas the channels added together is the mono 'middle' signal) - this is where much of the the ambiance information is contained. It gives a very nice effect, though it's of course not the same as what a true matrix quad decoder gives when used with a correspondingly encoded recording. Try it, though - I've never heard of any damage resulting from connecting speakers like this, but take care, it might be best not to do it if you have a particularly delicate/valuable power amp.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 08:26

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 12 2004, 01:43)
Through a Pro Logic decoder, I presume?

Yes - The Pioneer amp that my speakers are connected to features a Pro Logic II decoder. I have no idea of what the original mix was intented to sound like, but on the Sailor's Hornpipe I can hear Viv Stanshall & co. literally walking around me. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 10:35

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 12 2004, 14:26)
.... but on the Sailor's Hornpipe I can hear Viv Stanshall & co. literally walking around me. :)

in a higher intensity than before, I guess ?

Later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 14:22

... rather in the sense of spatial location of the footsteps, which really move all around. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 14:32

and they didn't before for u ?

well, now u know once more when I speak of "getting into a song".

Later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 16:53

Quote (dkaycom @ Mar. 12 2004, 20:32)
and they didn't before for u ?

[Definitely off topic... :)]

I only meant that the 'walking around' effect is greatly enhanced (IMHO) by being heard that way. ;)

well, now u know once more when I speak of "getting into a song".

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 18:05

where do u see anything OT in the last answers ?

apart from the fact that a simple "yes" to my 1st "in a higher intensity than before...... ?" would have had fit perfectly....
:p

Later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 19:04

ah..the simple things of life..dkay and ugo failing to communicate. :p

we all pay through the nose for these different mixes to enhance our listening pleasure.

ugo to to have a wider spatial experience, dkay to be more intense, Mr C to unravel to more intricate technical depths.

And the original question was, is it worth it?

I think i speak for us all when i say "YES"

--------------
Profile PM 
dkaycom Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 19:23

Quote (olracUK @ Mar. 13 2004, 01:04)
And the original question was, is it worth it?

I think i speak for us all when i say "YES"

too simple answered, so not spoken for me.
:D

Later,

dkay

--------------
(BlackCottonMafia)

Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2004, 20:59

i think wrong then, so i say YES and apologies to dkay

--------------
Profile PM 
32 replies since Mar. 09 2004, 16:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net