Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Vote for your favorite Tubular Bells remixes!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ManFromTheMoon Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 04 2012, 17:15

In one word Mat - nowdays, weather is not conducive for "independent" music; heavy rain of commercial rules is crushing honest creativity without remorse:) Anyway, very fortunately, Mike maneged to start his career soon enough!:)
Profile PM 
Willem Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2012, 12:37

Ha! I ended up at 36. Oh well...
Mike won't hear it which is a pity indeed, but I've learnt a lot...
Profile PM WEB 
ManFromTheMoon Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2012, 06:20

No matter what results are, this contest is not authoritative, becouse large part of it, VERY large part of it, is simply "popularity contest":)

Two conditions must be fulfilled in order to constitute a "real voice" -

1) person, who is voting must know ALL submissions (then, and only then choice is conscious, otherwise, You do not know "what is there":))

2) person, who is voting can not vote, becouse he or she was simply asked to, or he or she knows - directly or not - an author;

Only if these two conditions are fulfilled together, vote is really clear, honest, pure, TRULY UNAFFECTED...

So, how many "real votes" appeared in this contest?:)))

My guess is - NOT EVEN ONE:)
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2012, 05:57

tomorrow's judgement day...
omg, I feel terribly stressed...
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2012, 11:52

GOOD LUCK!
    I think yours was the best. Olivier's was a close 2nd.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2012, 14:08

"Winners Announced" has been delayed and the verdict will be posted on Indaba on 24 September.
TOO BAD.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Sep. 19 2012, 03:23

Quote (lukaszswietek @ Sep. 18 2012, 14:08)
"Winners Announced" has been delayed and the verdict will be posted on Indaba on 24 September.
TOO BAD.

Seems the judge has hard time deciding. :)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 06:16

Winners have been just announced:

http://www.indabamusic.com/opportu....inners=

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 11:01

:/

so sad.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 11:39

Hmm. With all due respect (m'lud) I can't find much to enjoy about the winner. Very professionally produced, but would I want to listen to it again? Sure, it would be a very credible soundtrack to a film, but frankly I found it sterile.

Haven't got round to all the runners up yet, but I am liking the quirkiness of Fine Cut Bodies submission (he's really pulled out that opening bass line); the Martin Nemec (acapella) version was interesting, but rather pushing the definition of "remix"...and I'm still listening to the rest.

Lucasz - yours was enjoyable listening (shades of QE2 in there!;) but a bit too much of a remake than a remix for me.

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 12:30

But as I read that they give points  in categories like Originality (0-25 points), Creativity (0-25 points), Concept (0-25 points), and Musicality (0-25 points) it seems to me that somehow e.g. my track could be more successful in Creativity and Concept because I had more ideas than for example that all-vocal version - recording it with only voices is still only one idea, a concept, as you compare it to original there are nearly no differences in notes and form. I know that mine is 70% a remake (actually same as that 17voices, or even 17voices is 90%) but it is only about what instrument play.
If I was a judge I would mark my job like Originality 10, Creativity 20, Concept 10, Musicality 25 (compering of course to the others) The one that won the 1st prize is in my opinion (as 3 others prized works) too "minimalistic" As TB pt1 goes with about 12 different melodies and riffs most of them feature only the main riff - for me it is too pop. The process that everybody can play that main riff and add drums and industrial sound or cinematic strings to change the feeling spooky to more tensed and emotional seems to be not so original and rather dull... I'm not saying it like I feel that my job is the best but thats just my feeling - it would be the same as I woudn;t take  part in that competition...
Secondly - I'm not sure if Mike listened to that tracks.. It just doesn't fit to his style (well, of course own interpretation is something important but I just can't see Mike listening to those tracks and being very enthusiastic about this cinematic feelings)
And.... what else to say... I'm disapointed, I feel sad and even angry... (17voices or even more tracks don't have that one stem used. THE RULES ARE THE RULES)
The one I like most form the winners are  TB rmx and 17voices. The ones I don't like Ghost Loop and that one from 1st prize winner.. I just can't stand that somehow poor and drasticly imposed cinematic feeling.
sory for english.
My remix is being remixed by myself to be updated to beta version. As I got time and big LOVE to TB I wan't it to be done very very very professional and as far as possible better.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 14:09

Jesus. This is not they way I saw this thing ending. Lucasz or Olivier were the two I voted for because they were the 2 best. Yes, I did stick to tubular.net members. I listened to all the ones(8) from here and a few others, but my thinking is, if one is a real Oldfield fan then he/she would a member here yes? If one really embraces MO's work then they would come here yes? Google his name and tubular.net is right in your face. Man in the Rain's was better than this winner too. More original. Kind of weird yes, but that's OK. Weird is good. I live in a city that has cars with bumper stickers that say "keep Austin weird." Weird just means freekin' "unique".
    What I just heard....and I never heard the winner's version before.....sounded like it had been judged on "American Idol". Just too hyped up and almost "made for TV". Either that or one of these GD teenage vampire movies. ManintheRain a few weeks ago left some posts that suggested he was in poor spirits. I left some kind words, even if it prompted a negative comment from another user, "makes me sad". But I can see every word ManintheRain said is true. It's 2012. Commercial/hype/contacts/back slapping/friends........All true. I kind of find it hard to believe MO judged this to be the winner. Unless he's just feeling immersed in "The Killing Fields" lately.
   Well, don't go remixing what you did all over again, it's great. Move on to the next one............Your music got praise from the best critics, those who like Mike Oldfield. This was fun kids, but how it turned out IMO..........sucks. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 14:42

Apart from lack of time this is the main reason i did not compete. I'm not a member of a social site and therefore don't have any "friends" to give me their votes.
It's not a matter of taste anymore.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2012, 16:16

Ok, so, how does one download an MP3 or FLAC of the top 6?  All very brilliant remixes!!  Thank you to anyone who can help.
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 06:36

Quote (Priabonia @ Sep. 25 2012, 11:39)
Hmm. With all due respect (m'lud) I can't find much to enjoy about the winner. Very professionally produced, but would I want to listen to it again? Sure, it would be a very credible soundtrack to a film, but frankly I found it sterile.

I share Your opinion. I found it too a rather bit non-personal, as there are already quite much this kind of music already. Also the remixers were exploited IMHO by Universal label (No-one cant use their remixes they did to add on soundcloud page even, whatever if you even are the winner in this contest!;). All these are copyrighted by UNiversal Music now and even using a fragment of Your _own_ remix which is Your , can lead to copyright infringement.
(so, I panicked when I understood and took down my submission - I had my own original composition in remix ! ).

However, sorry that judge did not said a word or verdict about the contest. That should be  valuable information for a contestants for next work. Man who has such experience, and also was in this contest as judge, I am sure that he would have time to write something to us -- why this tune earned much? Which pitfalls were common, etc...

My speculation is that the Davids tune got first place becouse technical details -- he had that clock ticking in the beginning and percussions in a right beats...  And for a "honorable five" Mike run out of options already to choose from top10.

I listened every submission and on some submissions I reacted so that I wanted to even record them out for my own listening later. There were 5 tunes which I favoured this way.
My  favourites just are these:

55th place: Antje Ihm
among others on 215th place: Chatterbox. My favourite.
and Richard Rowlings at 215th place.
26th place: Alex Simescu

Well, I just choosed those becouse I wanted to listen these again and really _liked_ them. What I liked in them? Thats too based on 4 criteria: musicality, originality, creativity, butwell... just one parameter is different -- personality in it.

That listening was still a huge effort and took several weeks.
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 06:39

Quote (christopher @ Sep. 25 2012, 16:16)
Ok, so, how does one download an MP3 or FLAC of the top 6?  All very brilliant remixes!!  Thank you to anyone who can help.

well thats not allowed but behind the curtain I can say that get out that soundcard output to another soundcard input and hit REC. :) Whatever if talking about analog or digital lines, Your choice. YOu still get  that quality.
Profile PM 
SyncEmotions Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 06:47

Quote (oblique @ Sep. 25 2012, 14:42)
Apart from lack of time this is the main reason i did not compete. I'm not a member of a social site and therefore don't have any "friends" to give me their votes.
It's not a matter of taste anymore.

well, we, who made remix, were just there to show our music to MIke OLdfield. It was not becouse of prize (1000 USD for a one month  huge effort? Must be kiddin! ha), also after the contest You have no right for that remix any longer even if You had scratched Your name on the wall in top5 or are winner.

Actually You can read on indabacontest site several pages about "facebookvoting? not again! I am doing music, so I have no time for these networks". Its a battle.

The label got the best part from it.

Neither I am somewhat member of Fcukbook, but however, I consider this website as society becouse we have something in common - Mike Oldfields music.

by the way my question is if someone have composed something which is their own music but similar to MIke Oldfield? NOt a death-ambient-hip-trip-trance or old-usa-rock (entire indaba is full of it) but such melodical easy one as Mike did on his  albums Incantantions and  Earth Moving.
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 09:19

Quote (SyncEmotions @ Sep. 26 2012, 11:47)
[quote=oblique,Sep. 25 2012, 14:42]

by the way my question is if someone have composed something which is their own music but similar to Mike Oldfield?...but such melodical easy one as Mike did on his  albums Incantations and  Earth Moving.

If you're looking for something a little like Incantations I suggest the works of this fine (?) young (!;)  artist:

http://soundcloud.com/priabonia

...I think you'll find Intimate Separation the closest (I've heard that several bits were, erm, influenced by Incantations).  Otherwise Deep Time (a little Hergest Ridgey at the end?)

Enjoy!

J

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 09:53

I like people who aren't modest.
Nice how you place yourself in the spotlight.
You are a good artist, i second that. :D

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2012, 10:07

Looks to me like there are many easy methods to capture those remixes to wav or mp3......

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
58 replies since Aug. 23 2012, 23:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net