Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: UK Tubular Bells stamp in new Royal Mail series< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 11 2009, 23:20

The UK's Royal Mail is planning on releasing a Tubular Bells first class stamp as part of a series featuring classic album covers on January 7th 2010. The Royal Mail website currently carries no mention of them, but details and pictures are available on the Norvic Philatelics website.

Thanks, Andy White

Update January 2010: The stamps are now on sale. As well as the usual outlets in the UK, you can buy them from the Royal Mail online store
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 03:33

How cool, glad to see they have Pink Floyd too, and that they have choosen a different album than Dark Side for a change.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 04:10

Very nice! Ommadawn would have been even better though...  :laugh:
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 07:14

Hmmm nice idea.Odd that they've chosen The Division Bell though.If we're talking Classic Albums then surely it would have to be Dark Side over Division Bell.I agree that Dark Side has been done to death but i don't see The Division Bell as Classic or in anything like the same league as Dark Side.Stramge.Wonder how many of these will get lost in postal strikes. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 09:40

Where can you buy this stuff? Just hop around the nearest post office?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2009, 11:16

Quote (The Caveman @ Oct. 12 2009, 12:14)
Hmmm nice idea.Odd that they've chosen The Division Bell though.If we're talking Classic Albums then surely it would have to be Dark Side over Division Bell.I agree that Dark Side has been done to death but i don't see The Division Bell as Classic or in anything like the same league as Dark Side.Stramge.Wonder how many of these will get lost in postal strikes. :laugh:

I don`t think they`re all meant to be "classic albums" Caveman but as Korgscrew puts it there "Classic Album Covers" . It`s just that Tubular Bells happens to fall into both categories I suppose.Looking at the other albums on the list there for instance,you might say Mike has the rest of the competition licked.  :p
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2009, 03:22

That's painfull Dirk mate! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2009, 17:24

do you think Mike might sign the first 500, or maybe the first 530 just in case?
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2009, 18:02

I can see it now, all the other's will look OK but,,,,,, problems with the Tubular Bells stamp etc, etc, etc.
In reality though this could be a spoof, simply coz, as cover's go if one was to pick a Pink Floyd  cover, surely it would be The Dark Side Of The Moon.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2009, 14:27

Quote (^NabLa^ @ Oct. 12 2009, 14:40)
Where can you buy this stuff? Just hop around the nearest post office?

Once they're available, I'm sure you could buy a book of these stamps just like any other.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 17:12

There was a small note on this on brazilian press today,and they didn't forget our beloved Mike \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 18:32

Quote (Dirk Star @ Oct. 12 2009, 15:16)
Quote (The Caveman @ Oct. 12 2009, 12:14)

I don`t think they`re all meant to be "classic albums" Caveman but as Korgscrew puts it there "Classic Album Covers" . It`s just that Tubular Bells happens to fall into both categories I suppose.Looking at the other albums on the list there for instance,you might say Mike has the rest of the competition licked.  :p

Let It Bleed, and Ziggy Stardust, they're also cool albums musically and artistically as in photography.   How about Brain Salad Surgery and In The Court Of The Crimson King, they're classics too. I also like the cover to Queen's News Of The World, but I think Kelly Freas is American, so wouldn't count .
   :D  :cool:

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2009, 19:44

As for the other albums' covers,The Division Bell and Parklife are also awesome.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 18 2009, 00:23

aww my favorite modern pink floyd album.. how cool..
tb was not a suprise.. he he..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2009, 06:30

When I get to think of it, the Platinum sleeve already looks like a hungarian stamp from the 70s. Nothing wrong with that though, I was an avid "Magyar Posta" collector when I was a kid.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2009, 19:37

Cool! Pity its just the UK. Send me some snail mail with the TB stamp. Definitely a collectors item! Deb
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 07 2009, 22:20

Deb,

This last message from you repeated six times--I've deleted them. I am going to prowl around and see if there are other threads with repeating posts from folks--hopefully not a glitch!

M-C

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Nov. 07 2009, 22:20

p.s. those stamps are totally kewl, indeed. Hope to get some, as well!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 03:51

Hi MC can you check out the posting prob. When sending, it re directs, sometimes 4 times then i get a drop out. Happy prowling for the gremlins! Cheers, Deb
Profile PM 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: Nov. 08 2009, 15:58

They should have included Spinal Tap's "Smell the Glove"! :laugh:

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
33 replies since Oct. 11 2009, 23:20 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net