Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Two Possible KF Outtakes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
natertb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 14:39

I think that there are two MO B-sides that could be related to the Killing Fields: Bones from the To France 12" and The Trap from the Pictures in the Dark 12". These two songs sound like they fit with the mood of some of the songs on the soundtrack, like Blood Sucking or Worksite. Does anybody know if they are outtakes or if Mike just wrote them as B-Sides?

--------------
Waiting hour by hour...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:38

Bones may well be from The Killing Fields. I suspect that The Trap is a later one. Legend, which of course accompanies The Trap on that 12", was written with the 1985 Ridley Scott film Legend in mind. My feeling is that The Trap was probably also intended for that film.
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 16:55

I think The Trap is wonderful.... who else could have composed this? A hidden masterpiece. He does threatening very well (whether he means to or not!;) and should work it in when he can if you ask me! (You didn't, so I told you anyway.) And I've always had Bones down as a KF outtake personally.
Profile PM 
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2005, 14:08

Presumably The Killing Fields film had more music than the 36 minutes that appeared on the soundtrack album, so it's possible there is up to an hour of music not released except on the film itself.
Profile PM WEB 
bevy Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2005, 00:23

great film great sound track
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2005, 06:32

The darkroom music from the film is one section that stands out as something that could have been on "The Killing Fields" soundtrack release.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 22:02

Legend is a strange one - 1:15 of a pretty, mock medieval tune which sounds a bit corny at first until the guitar joins in, a silence, then another minute of one of Mike's most beautiful guitar melodies ever - a beautifully yearning piece that you wish would go on but unfortunately ends too soon...
I've often thought that the second guitar melody would make a wonderful basis for a longer piece - similar to the chord progression motif in Incantations. Maybe something for the new 3 part long composition!!

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 08 2021, 16:07

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:38)
Bones may well be from The Killing Fields. I suspect that The Trap is a later one. Legend, which of course accompanies The Trap on that 12", was written with the 1985 Ridley Scott film Legend in mind. My feeling is that The Trap was probably also intended for that film.

Sorry to quote a sixteen year old post, but do you know for sure that Mike wrote music intended for Ridley Scott's "Legend"? I find absolutely no info anywhere about this.

Edit:
Sixteen years? WTF? I've married twice, become a parent and quit smoking since that post.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 08 2021, 16:27

Quote (Sysiyo @ Sep. 28 2005, 14:08)
Presumably The Killing Fields film had more music than the 36 minutes that appeared on the soundtrack album, so it's possible there is up to an hour of music not released except on the film itself.

I think there must be more. From what I've read, Mike delivered a almost entirerly electronic soundtrack at first, which David Puttnam rejected, and Mike was sent back to write music with real choirs and strings. There must have been a "first draft", but of course it may no longer exist.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 08 2021, 20:36

Yes, there may have been a draft excluder... not to be confused with a door snake  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 09 2021, 17:18

Quote (larstangmark @ July 08 2021, 21:07)
Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 26 2005, 16:38)

Sorry to quote a sixteen year old post, but do you know for sure that Mike wrote music intended for Ridley Scott's "Legend"? I find absolutely no info anywhere about this.

Edit:
Sixteen years? WTF? I've married twice, become a parent and quit smoking since that post.

I always felt like The Trap was written to go in this scene from Legend.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Sep. 26 2005, 14:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net