Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (21) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells Ultimate Edition problems< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Willem Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 09 2009, 18:29

They never asked for the damaged ones in return. Who wants them anyway  ;)
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 09 2009, 19:46

Quote (Nacho @ July 09 2009, 17:51)
They sent the replace items before you send the damaged ones, or they don't want the damaged boxes/discs?

The vinyl from my signed box from Bandstores, an the vinyl I bought in FNAC are both in bad-looking condition, but I think I won't ask for a replacement... Universal should take care with its merchandise partners, and the vinyl disc factories, what a mess!!

I am feeling pretty stupid atm. Initially, I had looked at everything in the kitchen, in low light. And, everything looked fine. The book was pristine, the package was perfect. I had quickly looked at the vinyl, prepared for it to be just as fine as everything else. And to my button eyes, it was.  So...I wrote to say that the only thing amok was that I was missing the t-shirt. Well, all the vinyl pictures, here, prompted me to take a closer look, in the study with good lighting. Horrifically, the vinyl is fingerprinted and seems to have a spattering of mud in one section.

I don't have a turntable atm to see if it plays. Perhaps the fingerprints et al. become part of its provenance--sort of like with rare books, e.g., the foxing that happens.  OK, I am reaching here!

At any rate, I am not asking for a replacement, either.  Like you, Nacho, I hope that Universal gets to the bottom of this with its partners, and that there are better quality control measures implemented regarding the packaging of vinyls and everything else.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 13:26

Pffffff....
And now I just got this email as shown below... :

------------------- PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL -------------------
The address it is sent from is for announcements only and isn't monitored
   To contact us please email us at customerservices@bandstores.co.uk.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Customer

Firstly I want to say how sorry I am that you have so far been forced to wait a month for your Ultimate Edition Tubular Bells box set (or sets).  The delay should never have happened but sadly circumstances beyond our control prevented us from sending a small number of customers their sets on the week of release as planned.

We're still working with Mercury to get the remaining box sets to us as quickly as possible so that we can get the box sets you've ordered to you. At this moment we haven't had the exact date of delivery confirmed but as soon as we know we will email you with the details.

In the meantime if you have ordered any additional items along with your signed box set we will be arranging to ship those out to you separately.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Regards

Antz
Director
Bandstores

So much for the two weeks within which they hoped to arrange everything... Now the timetable has been set to "indefinite" and they will ship out the t-shirt I ordered..... Why would you do that if the boxes that are still to be received are said to be coming to you within a week ? You would do this if you actually know with quite certainty that that is not going to happen....  

How on earth do they think this will get our faith in them restored ?

@Korgscrew :
Have you had any kind of info on what they are doing and what is going on exactly ?
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 13:56

I complained to Bandstore about my vinyl. They offered to send a replacement without asking for my damaged copy.
It arrived today.
It arrived very well packaged.
But the album had fingermarks on it.
but they look to be surface only; there don't seem to be scratches that would sound.
But, currently I dont have a turntable, so i dont know for sure.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 15:05

Quote (El Mystico @ July 10 2009, 18:56)
I complained to Bandstore about my vinyl. They offered to send a replacement without asking for my damaged copy.
It arrived today.
but they look to be surface only; there don't seem to be scratches that would sound.

Similar but worse for me. Very well packaged replacement vinyl and nice covering letter saying "we have taken extra care to make sure that these elements arrive in perfect condition and have manually checked each replacement to ensure there are no scratches or other damage. BUT IT IS WORSE THAN THE FIRST ONE. Who on eath did they get to check them? Stevie Wonder?

AAAAAARGH (caveman impression needed here)

If I calm down enough by tomorrow morning Ill take some pictures and E-mail them to bandstores.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 15:59

Has anyone used a Discwasher to clean thier LP? I've been using them since the 70's, bought a new one not long ago. Gets rid of fingerprints wonderfully.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 16:05

Here you go. Ignore the customer review. It might not be as HQ constructed as one bought in 1978, but it's just fine, so is the included fluid. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp....TFA8VMM

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 16:22

I remember discwashers--but currently don't have any.  Since I am keeping the fingerprinted one, it's probably a good idea to clean it now rather than, say, in a year from now when I might actually have the technology to play it, no? Just seems like all that oil, dirt, etc. setting on it for a year might truly wreak havoc. Guess I don't want them to be part of the "provenance" if they can be removed. <-:

As I was sitting on the floor the other night with TB2009 in hand, my eyes fell on my collection of Beatles albums. My parents had taken us camping when I was a young child, and I couldn't live without my vinyls, so I brought them along--and laid them on the back window of the car. In the sun. The July sun.  I wish fingerprints were all that afflicted those. I haven't ever replaced them--just doesn't seem right. <experiences sudden, odd desire to listen to the Beatles>

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 17:16

I was looking at that link I put up for discwasher on Amazon. I can't believe the way people cut-to-shreads this lesser quality RCA copy. It works great, you just have to use it right. Rotate the brush as per the instructions while spinning the record. But you get the jist. There's several products that do the same thing. Shoot, get that record distributor to send every one of you a free discwasher as compensation, and you can use it on your Beatles records too, in exchange for u guys not filing a class action suit. They might go for it. Then you can keep the LP as the novelty item I'm thinking it was really meant to be(for nostalgia) and you'll feel happier about it. We'll find a dutch copy or sumpthin' and run it thru software.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 10 2009, 23:12

Quote (Reena @ July 10 2009, 14:26)
So much for the two weeks within which they hoped to arrange everything... Now the timetable has been set to "indefinite" and they will ship out the t-shirt I ordered..... Why would you do that if the boxes that are still to be received are said to be coming to you within a week ? You would do this if you actually know with quite certainty that that is not going to happen....  

How on earth do they think this will get our faith in them restored ?

@Korgscrew :
Have you had any kind of info on what they are doing and what is going on exactly ?

I got also the very same mail and besides my signed box,I'm still waiting for my black tubular tee I've bought together with the box as well as the tee shirt they're going to send me as some sort of compesation...

While many are still enjoying their signed boxes,here I am,without mine.I want more than the certificate to compesate the long wait,we deserve MORE  :(

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: July 11 2009, 04:16

Quote (Matt @ July 10 2009, 15:05)
Quote (El Mystico @ July 10 2009, 18:56)
It arrived today.

Similar but worse for me. Very well packaged replacement vinyl and nice covering letter saying "we have taken extra care to make sure that these elements arrive in perfect condition and have manually checked each replacement to ensure there are no scratches or other damage. BUT IT IS WORSE THAN THE FIRST ONE. Who on eath did they get to check them? Stevie Wonder?

AAAAAARGH (caveman impression needed here)

If I calm down enough by tomorrow morning Ill take some pictures and E-mail them to bandstores.

So im wondering if i should even bother to ask replacement?

I just remember that also my vinyl doesnt play perfectly there was quite few strong pops and needle jumped once somewhere.

if they going to send so many separated vinyls for complainers i assume they going to take them off from normal UE release and possibly throw rest of box to trash can eventually...which is waste...they should send whole box instead :P

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: July 12 2009, 03:50

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 10 2009, 23:12)
I got also the very same mail and besides my signed box,I'm still waiting for my black tubular tee I've bought together with the box as well as the tee shirt they're going to send me as some sort of compesation...

While many are still enjoying their signed boxes,here I am,without mine.I want more than the certificate to compesate the long wait,we deserve MORE  :(

even as a casual member on this site I have considered Tati as one of Mike's biggest fans - for this to happen to her is simply not fair.  I think someone should arrange for Mike to deliver a copy personally to her as fair compensation.  After all he's only up the road from her these days!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 12 2009, 11:12

@ captainjjb: How can Mike possibly be 'up the road' from Tati? As far as I know, Mike's in the Bahamas, Tati is Brazilian! :D

Anyway, about the vinyl album in the box: I too got it with a couple of fingerprints on each side. I cleaned them up with a silk handkerchief (really! :D). The vinyl sounded excellent before I cleaned it, it still sounds excellent now.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 12 2009, 12:46

The longer Mikes's silence goes on about this, the more unethical and self-serving he and his team are looking. I feel pretty down on him myself, and I haven't even forked out for those expensive (signed) box sets.

As for the vinyl; - Ugo, it might be a case of 'I'm alright Jack' for you, but some of those vinyls' look like they've been rubbed down with wire wool.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 12 2009, 15:49

@ wiga: it definitely wasn't a PinkFloydian "Money" situation for me - I'm not the kind of guy that's easily satisfied, especially when I spend quite a bit on something. But if you refer to some vinyls having bad scratches, well, mine had none - just fingerprints. I've been lucky, even if I don't have any golden hair. :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 05:28

Haven't received my vinyl replacement yet, although I suppose it's still early days. I did ask them to notify me when it's despatched but whether they will or not I don't know.

I'm wondering whether they're getting some extra copies produced to cover this issue though - they surely can't be snaffling them from other UE box sets can they?

Reena and Tati - has there been any further update? This time delay is becoming ridiculous! :(

wiga - it would be nice if someone a bit higher up the Universal/Mercury food chain, or even the man himself, made some kind of statement or gesture of goodwill towards the fans re this matter. Or are they thinking that the fact it's only a small minority of UE customers (presumably) means that they don't need to bother because it's "not that serious".  I also wonder whether the problems with the vinyl are only confined to a small number of people. A good proportion of the folks on here seem to have had problems - there may be more 'out there' amongst the other sets, signed and non-signed alike, especially if some people have not bothered to check them properly assuming (as I did) that they should be pristine.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 06:32

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 13 2009, 05:28)
Reena and Tati - has there been any further update? This time delay is becoming ridiculous! :(

No new update except for the last email in which they state that they do not know when the boxes that have not yet been delivered are going to be received by Bandstores from Mercury....
But maybe Tati has heard something new in the meantime...

Or perhaps Korgscrew has had a new update, but I guess not because we would have read that on the site I guess...

Thanks for asking though, I'll be patient for a little while longer. Bandstores said they would ship out the tee that Tati and I ordered along with the Signed Box, but still didn't receive any confirmation that they actually did that up untill now.... I'm rather curious how long this will take....
Because I never received the tee that was promised as a gesture of goodwill either....  :(
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 07:23

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 13 2009, 05:28)
wiga - it would be nice if someone a bit higher up the Universal/Mercury food chain, or even the man himself, made some kind of statement or gesture of goodwill towards the fans re this matter.

Has anyone on here spoken directly to Universal/Mercury, Mike or Fanny about this?

It's out of Bandstore's control - they just distribute the goods don't they (when they get them).

As for the fans, it does feel ironic (as Captainjjb says), for this to happen to Tati, who's very obviously been a great PR for Mike over the years - always on the ball with up to date news articles, photos and good things to say in general.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 13 2009, 08:53

They're now going to investigate whether the paper sleeve is causing the scratches on the vinyl, as they were apparently in perfect condition when they were sent.

We're in constant communication with Universal. No comment other than that they're very sorry this has happened.
Profile PM 
Willem Offline

Posted: July 13 2009, 10:04

Hi folks,

I received the replacement disk. And yet again: FULL OF SCRATCHES and fingerprints.

It came with a letter saying: We've taken extra care to make shure that these elements arrive in perfect condition and have manually checked each replacement to ensure there are no scratches or other damage.

Funny enough, in really believe this. When I pulled the record out of it's sleeve, I felt and heard this was going to be terrible.

Then I read this on the forum:
They're now going to investigate whether the paper sleeve is causing the scratches on the vinyl

I personally believe this is the case. I seems there are tiny pieces of paper remaining inside the sleeve as a result of manufacturing and cutting the paper sleeve.

I'll write them an email.

Willem
Profile PM WEB 
405 replies since June 25 2009, 14:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (21) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net