Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells The Re recording released end of May< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 04 2003, 12:22

I think 'Liron' didn't eat his Oatbran this morning... LOL :P  

Yes... I think we all are tierd of the recycled Bell idea... though having the original in a new way is appealing... though I am still against the idea of another Bell album and have been for quite a while now.  This is something Mike needs to do more for himself then any other album or project.  I feel sure (doesn't that sound Margaret Thatcher like) I feel sure... that once he has released this and sees its success again or lack-there-of... he will put to rest the Bell... and leave it alone for good... I HOPE!  Mike is extremely talented!!!  There were many who bitched about earlier albums... TSODE and Voyager... now all I hear is praise for these two CD's!  If you ask me Mike has done a lot worse than Tres Lunas or another Bell album... ok sorry to all... but QE2 sucks... imho.  

Mike will go on making albums... I'm pretty sure that the next will be great!  if you look at his history... so far... after every TB album... not including TMB... he has put out a really good piece of work!  Since I liked Guitars very much... I'll go with that.  

I'm rather hoping for something a little more trendy... like a CD of pop songs... in the tradition of Moonlight Shadow and his other successful pop hits.  However... please give the spoken verse thing a rest... thanks!  Or... I'd like to see another project in the tradition of TSODE or Amarok.  Leaning more towards another idea along the lines of TSODE than Amarok.  

Since I am not Mike I cannot say or judge what in the hell he'll do next!  I can only wait and see.  He might even have something already prepared for release right after TB-RR.  I pray that it isn't anything like Tres Lunas!!!  

Christopher
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2003, 13:44

I almost find it beyond comprehension when I hear fans that love TSODE slag off TL, to my ear they are so much out of the same musical stable that the tracks of both albums are pretty much interchangable.

As far as Liron's comments are concerned I have to say I pretty much agree with him although I do think you'll probably find Mike has long since stop giving a toss about how many TB rehashes he can get away with flogging. The main problem I have with the arguement for the new TB is that we were all here before when he did TB2, if that album didn't exist then I think his arguement for doing the new TB would be far more valid. The synical part of me just thinks are we going to get a new rendition of TB at every other aniversary when Mike decides the last version wasn't quite right. A lot of TB2 sounds appallingly dated today, is some of the new TB going to sound dated in ten years time? The original still sounds timeless.

Move on Mike I'm sure there's much more music in you if you started traveling down the right roads.
Profile PM 
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 04 2003, 17:17

Okay, once again - since Warner is DVD-A, it is unlikely that the new album will be released in SACD.  Regarding the disappointment with "yet another" Tubular Bells CD - there is great merit to re-making an old piece of music with brand new technology.  This new CD is not guaranteed to sell, considering today's music market, so it is kind of a brave step for Mike to even do this at all.  If you attach great value to the good, solid sonic performance of your favorite music, then a new Tubular Bells will be a welcome thing to you.  Not everyone will care that much about the technical aspects of recording and such, but some of us do.  Some artists have done this type of thing before, with mixed results, so we can just hope and believe that we will get a great, polished work of art from Mike.
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2003, 18:17

Well the open minded less cynical part of me agree's with some of what you say but I don't in any respect think it can be seen as a brave move artisticaly or commercialy, (how can it be?) he's playing his safe card like he's done with all the other TB releases. A brave move would be for him to release, promote and tour an album that didn't have anything to do with TB and make a success out of it, something which I do actualy think he's capable of pulling off even in today's market, if done correctly. I think most of the record buying public are crying out for genuinely good artisticaly valued music.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2003, 01:56

Ok ToBY... granted you are right... TSODE and TL are out of the same style of new age music.  However... TSODE has a very well developed sound and very well developed melodies.  Tres Lunas is nothing more than an excuse for the game.  As someone else clearly pointed this out before... and I can't remember who.  

Go back and listen to TSODE... you can't hear the same bass line under four seperate songs as you can with TL.  You don't have melodies that are rehashed and point clearly at yet another reference to TB.  You don't have an annoying saxaphone through out the whole bloody thing.  At that point when TSODE was made Mike had not fiddled with the Diatonic scale as he did with the opening theme LTBT.  Then he went on into Guitars and TB3 and rehashed that same melody in some form or fashion.  Go back and listen to the closing of Guitars and Tres Lunas.  Mike yet again has quoted and reused his own melody.

As a musician I like to quote myself... but not so blatenly obvious as he has been doing over the last five or more years.  In fact... thinking about it... there is only one of my songs where I refer to another previous.  I don't have the TB syndrome as Mike does.  

Like I've said before... this TB-RR is what Mike should have done in the first place (something he has to do for himself and he kept making TB albums to try and make up for his disappointment with the original)... rather than TB3 or TMB.  And I don't know why anyone seems to think TB2 sounds dated!?!  CLEAR OUT YOUR EARS... the music industry is still using those same sounds and loops!  I absolutely love TB2 more than the original... even to this day.  I guess... it's because the original sounded SOOOO dated to me when I first heard it.  What stuck out in my mind and why I shelved it for so long and kept out TB2 (I bought them both at the same time in spring 1993) was because TB sounded out of tune... out of time... and very very very dated to the early 70's... reason... lack of good recording equiptment and as Mike believes too... I believe it is quite clear in the sound... that the project was rushed and sloppy!  TB2 is crisp... clear... and Dr.Click kept him in time.  (side note) If you listen to the two Russian girls Trevor Horn recently Produced (T.A.T.U.) you can hear clearly the same sounds and influence that was heard on TB2 (side note).

If you ask me... Mike went sour when he got too computerized.  Trevor, according to an article I read, said he tried to get Mike to rely on his musicianship more than his computers.  It is quite clear Mike didn't take too much of that to heart.  The only albums I'd say I'd cut from his career totally are... QE2 (boring rantings)... most likely TB3... definetly Tres Lunas (will help you get your Zzzzzzzz's)... and most likely TMB.  Other than those... I'd not change anything.

Christopher
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2003, 13:44

I agree and disagree with you on a few points there. I certainaly agree with you that TSODE is way more developed than TL, the one major fault in TL is that as an album the tracks are very lazily slapped together with no real thought gone into there continuity. I do think TSODE is a much better album in a lot of ways, there not being that awful sax sound being just one of them. TL does have few good if a tad undeveloped tracks though.

With regards to Mike rehashing or re-using melodies from one album to another, whats new about this? I tend not to critisise him to much for this because its something that to some degree has gone on from the start of his career, from Sallyangie to Amarok and beyond we all know about it its something you come to quite enjoy. Also Christopher wasn't Tubularworld on TSODE a slight reference to TB? I think you forgot there is a TB reference on TSODE.

Personaly I think SOME of TB2 sounds appallingly dated because of those synth sounds. Darkstar in particular suffers terribly as do most of the tracks that contain that awful but then in vogue flutey synth sound.

That Trevor Horn quote just makes me laugh out loud. The one major critisism constantly leveled at TB2 (including by Tom Newman) and one I completely agree with is that Mike's performance on TB2, MASSIVELY influenced by Trevor Horn, sounds way to sequenced and way to over quantized almost to the point of the whole thing sounding like its being played by a computer.

I think you'll find the general opinion in the music world and amongst fans with regards to the original TB is that, like all the great Led Zep stuff and other music from that era, its all timeless in its quality. In fact musicians and producers all over the world are trying there hardest often at considerable expense to get the rock albums of today to have the particular sound and quality of early 70's albums.

Yes the sound quality and playing on TB isn't perfect but thats part of the magic of it, its part of the emotion it caries. I find it difficult to apreciate the same qualities in TB2, I hope the new version isn't the same.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2003, 17:54

little respect to the man..album averagely every 1,5 year

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 05 2003, 18:44

I've got huge amounts of respect for him but the quantity verses quality debate is another issue altogether.
Profile PM 
chris stacey
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 03:56

Give us some new studio work Mike with imperfections, like the original TB. I am getting tired of TB remakes, although I can admit being slightly inquisitive as to the outcome of the new version.

It's a bit like reading Lord of the Rings, the book and now seeing this mod movie version with all the special effects...give me the book and viv stanshall anyday!!!
liron
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 10:43

this is something ive been saying for years now in places like this and the amarok list (i mean the last remark iv'e made here) and getting a boot up my arse every time i do it. i'm glad to see that some of us are "sane" enough to know when they'r fooled with a bag of hot air. the problem with mr. oldfield as i see it is that he's decreased himself artisticaly to the point where he is a very good studio technician. as a mike oldfield fan from youth i must admit it is hard to say it but it is true. you can go on bragging how you were only 19 when you made TB or the fact that you played all instruments, over encouraging the "genius oldfield" myth. or going on saying how TB was a breakthrough of technological and whatever capacities - repeating again that it took 100.000kazilion overdubs to make. whatever... the truth remains that the album - after speaking about all the gimmiks i mentioned above - was and still is an EMOTIONAL experiance. and the fact is that young oldfield was able to convey feelings in music, while the older version lacks the ability and has NOTHING whatsoever to say emotionaly\artisticaly\philosophicaly - NADA. it is no wonder than that he relys solely on practicle work to save the day, what else can he do? he's like an empty shell made of recognisable guitar style and past glory.

i myself really gave up with the guy long ago. he may be a great guitar player, but he has nothing more than that to show these days. you can imagine the disappointment i felt with hearing he's gonna make yet another TB album. this really makes him a parody of himself, and it's a shame to see such talents go to waste by commercial drive combined with lack of inspiration.
there was a great guy who lived in finland. maybe you heard of him - his name was sibelyus. a great composer which oldfield used to edmire. the man did about 6 or 7 great pieces of music and then went into complete silence when he was about 40 or 50 till the day he died. the reason was that  he understood he had said all he had to say. sibelyus had a sense for mesure and dignity.
mr. oldfield has really been commiting artistic suicide since the early 80's, taken by passing musical genres which he didn't fully understand and pretentiously declared (with his work), that you don't need talent or soul - you need only to REVEAL the TRICK behind any given musical style and emulate it with a touch of your signature guitar. well, signature style doesn't make ART it makes vanity.
always he has said that he is changing with the times, he is not freezing on one musical spot. well - wrong! he has been frozen in one spot for about 25 years, maybe changing the costumes - but underneath it's the same old sod with a bell attached to his butt.
so maybe it is time to stop being so cinycal about reusing your old masterpiece again and again - and just following sibelyus with dignity.
but you don't need to be that extreme. maybe you just need shut the hell up for 2-3 years, and really think hard about what this thing called music and rock'n'roll is all about.
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 13:32

Somewhere in there you do have a point to a degree but I think you're being way, way, way over critical. I do think Mike's career has been massively erratic but thats one of things that actualy makes him interesting in a funny way. I would certainaly say there have been times when I've thought his music is easily sounding more vacuous than others sometimes or even quite often within a single album, but he's still more than capable of pulling little  musical gems out of his creative hat even Tres Lunas had one or two. May main worry about the new TB is that It'll be to polished a just basicaly devoid of the emotional playing that went into and made the original what it is, thats why I worry when I hear Mike talk of this new version as the definitive one, how can it be?
Profile PM 
Tonight with Trevor Mcdonald
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 14:45

The original Tubular bells will never be surpassed mark my words..... :cool:  :cool:
SCprogfan
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 17:49

I think one of the things that we're missing here is that Mike has to make himself happy.  This is quoted from the News section, regarding Tubular Bells:
"To my ears however I was always aware of its imperfections. Notes out of tune, out of time, rushed playing, mistakes in performance, electonic noise etc etc... I always meant to re record it but for one reason or another I never got round to it... "
We are always our own harshest critics.  We have probably all told a friend or family member about what a great job they did on something, only to have them never believe us, or to never be happy with their own achievements.  It doesn't matter how much we love the original recording.  If Mike wants to try and make it better, and he can't rest until he does, then let's allow him that chance.  Maybe that will be the big release he will need, the big weight off of his mind that will let floods of brand new, exciting material begin to flow.  I guess we will have to wait and see.
liron
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 06 2003, 19:34

mike is more than happy, believe me - if you think that he's missing Z-hours for eating his heart over a mistake of a guitar part he made some 30 years ago,  than i'm more than happy to suggest you're a tad bit naive. if you think that what's been bothering the guy for 25 years is the fact that he missed a Q, and that's the reason he recycles the piece over and over - you are totally wrong. the fact is, my dear friend (and this is not a cinycal way of looking at things, only a realistic one) that he has been trying all over his career to top his most artistically and commercialy acclaimed album, which just so happens to be the first he has ever released as a solo musician. the real reason he is remaking a remaking of a remake is that he realized (wether conciously or uncociously) that he CAN'T and never will be able to top it, and that he will always be remembered as "that guy with the bell". hence, he is trying to prepetuate his existance in the musical world by the thing that made him known, and in a VERY post-modern way of thought, he has come to the degree that he is not even trying to make NEW music out of it, he is making the same album AGAIN (and excuse me for just loughing my lungs out to the stupid "the reason he does it, is that he only wants it to sound perfect once and for all" remark. give me a break, if the man hasn't anything good to do with his spare time, i suggest playing golf with the other fat rich guys in the neighbourhood).
you must understand this as a philosophical and mental change, that could only take place and be accepted in a post modern society. this thing (reRECORDING the same music and releasing it as a NEW album) is, as far as i know, unheard of. and you CAN see a mental process going on - first he made a take off on the original  and called it TB2, than he made a record that hardly resembles TB and dubbed it TB3, and now it's the SAME album, he's not even trying to disguise it. on the contrary he's proud of it! HEY MIKE! I ALREADY HAVE A COPY, DON'T NEED ANOTHER THAT SOUNDS LIKE A POLISH MACHINE COMING TO ME FROM 5 DIRECTIONS!!!

the reason, ladys and gents, the reason for making this album is as clear as the sun, it's either he's really desperate for money (which i doubt), or trying to impress the record company, or knowing he would only be mentioned in the papers if the word "bell" is attached to his forehead, or he is lacking inspiration, or he's really bored with music (and creating a very dull looking, out of date, stupid, unimaginative and mediocre computer games is a big sign that points to this conclusion). but non of that altruistic "i want it prefect" saving-the-day nonsense you opted.
tubtattoo
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 02:06

I don't often feel compelled to write but do read these pages a lot.
Making points about your thoughts in music is all well and good but to take a tone that suggests that anyone who doesn't agree or see things your way is condescending and unproductive. I realise that everyone is entitled to their opinions, whether I agree or not- that's what free speech and free thought is about.
We all have our reasons for liking Mike and we all have our reasons to question his choices... but we don't have the right to attack him for those choices. We are lucky enough to share the talent that he has and, over the last 30 years, there has been a lot to enjoy: some things more than others admittedly but we have experienced it.
You don't have to buy the album when it comes out and you don't have to agree with the politics or the reasons behind it but we cannot be dismissive of others... lets all be cool and make our points constructively and without persecution.

regards

Malcolm ;)
liron
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 08:46

im entitled to my opinion as well as you my dear...
politicaly correct culture and net ethics aside, this is what i think of his music. you may or may not agree, as you yourself stated. but i really don't think bringing up the issue of "he can do whatever he wants to do" is constructive to the argument - ofcourse he can do what ever he wants to, dont be rediculous, this is not getting us anywhere.
we are not talking about the man (although i was very personal in my writing) we are talking about the MUSIC, and about the ARTIST. "artist" is what the man does for living, it's his job. what he manufactures is "music", and we are trying to debate on wether he is doing any good job as an artist these days.
don't confuse this with personal criticism. after all i don't know the man personaly, and as a listener to his music - i don't really give a shit about what he went through childhood and life. because he is not my friend, he is not a man i know - and any discussion about it as the reasons for what he does in his music affairs is rediculous, for it lies solely on speculation. explaining his poor music these days with a phrase like "We have probably all told a friend or family member about what a great job they did on something, only to have them never believe us, or to never be happy with their own achievements.  It doesn't matter how much we love the original recording (...) Mike wants to try and make it better, and he can't rest until he does" is a mere speculation -because how do you know that? are you his therapist or wife? and even if he himself has said so: what guarantees its not publicity intended? folks - loving the music is one thing, to think you know the man or love him is stupid.
i'm not talking speculation here - what he chooses to create and let us hear is a fact, and we are discussing the nature of of it, and wether it has something to say. and yes my friend, there is a difference that anyone trained enough can notice between a musical piece which is emotionaly empty and the opposite. i'm an old school fanatic with this specific issue - if the latest album sounds like he pushed the "demo" button on his synth and recorded it - you CAN NOT seriously consider it as ART. sorry. ART is in the first place a creation the artist is commited to in all stages and aspects, not only the technicalities. great art that survived history and the test of time, is always the one that surpased the stage of sheer technical wizardry. to be a technician in any field is the easy part. you can learn it in the academy or by experience. you CAN NOT learn how to be an artist (artist=a person who communicate feelings and thoughts with the medium he use).

in any case you can see that the issue touches me deeply, and i'm sorry if in times it seems like im being rude.

liron
Fox Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 09:12

I find it strange that we criticize an album before it's even been released.  We judge something before we've even heard it!  What's wrong with just taking each album on its own accord?

Maybe Mike is giving in to his past, maybe not.  Are we so arrogant that we're going to judge him?  After all, we only know him by his music; we don't really know who he is, and yet we think we can tell how he thinks just by the music he releases.  We take things by face value way too much.

I, myself, take TB1 - 3 as individual albums.  Each is good in and of itself.  Mike's strength has always been variety.  No two of his albums sound alike; he's written something for everyone.  That's been something Mike's always done: trying new things.  From TB1 on, he's always tried new styles, new ideas, and new techniques.  His use of computers isn't new; he's been doing it since they've been available.  They're tools, and in Mike's hands have yielded some amazing results (like Guitars).  TL, I think, is some of his best work.  It sounds nothing like anything he's ever done, and that's the one thing we can count on from Mike.  If you look at it that way, he hasn't changed.

I'd like to let the TB idea rest, too.  But I don't take it as a sign that Mike's run out of ideas.  An artist re-recording his own work IS unheard of.  Again, Mike's doing something different...as we've come to expect (and respect).  MVR was the same way: different from what everyone else is doing.  That's what continues to keep me a fan.  I never know what to expect from him, and he's never fit into a catagory.  His music has changed from what he did in the 70's and 80's, and that's the point.

Now if Mike tries his hand at rap THEN you can say he's lost his mind  :laugh:
Profile PM 
liron
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 11:18

"I find it strange that we criticize an album before it's even been released"
the album was released in 1973.

"I, myself, take TB1 - 3 as individual albums"
if he intended them to be seperate albums why call them TB?

"No two of his albums sound alike"
:laugh:   :p

"TL, I think, is some of his best work.  It sounds nothing like anything he's ever done"
with all due respect, it sounds like TSODE, in style and arrangement it resembles all albums of his since TB3.

"An artist re-recording his own work IS unheard of.  Again, Mike's doing something different...as we've come to expect (and respect)"
first of all don't turn the downfall to a victorious march. and don't be a demagog and suggest (yet again) that this means he's doing something different. i can simplify it for you into mathematics: X=X.
as to the expectations and respect... this is purely subjective.

"MVR was the same way: different from what everyone else is doing"
how so? did you hear about peter gabriel's "eve"? or prince's cd rom? or the residents' "freakshow", "gingerbread man" and "bad day on the midway"? or dozen of other ARTIST (!!!;) which utilize this powerful tool called MULTIMEDIA, and music combined with game plot. and i must add that they do it to a superb level that mike oldfield hasn't reached with his pale and tastless TL.

"His music has changed from what he did in the 70's and 80's, and that's the point"
five albums i put into the "commited artist" basket: "TB, HR, OM, INC, AMA" - the rest are experimentations with studio and computer technology and/or style and sound. non of which can hold water.

as i said a good guitar player as he is - art isn't just that.
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 13:42

Let me see now...

artist=a person who communicate feelings and thoughts with the medium he use

The question of 'what is art?' is one of those which goes on all the time, stirring every so often, but never coming to rest. It seems that the most precise definition we're ever going to get is that art is what society deems to be art. But it's sometimes nothing more than something an individual deems to be of artistic value...to some, the re-recorded Tubular Bells may be art, to some a good piece of craftsmanship and to some, worthless.
Many hold Van Gough's sunflowers to be art, yet it's something he painted more than once - does this reduce their value as art, in the eyes of society?

So an artist is one who creates art, this indefinable thing, and we arrive at more questions than answers.

mike is more than happy, believe me - if you think that he's missing Z-hours for eating his heart over a mistake of a guitar part he made some 30 years ago,  than i'm more than happy to suggest you're a tad bit naive.

Might I ask, liron, if you record music yourself?
There have been times when, due to time constraints and similar factors, I've ended up recording parts which I've felt are not quite how I'd wanted, for one reason or another. Sometimes it's difficult to listen to them again without wishing for the opportunity to do them again in a different way, to just make those few tweaks needed to make the thing just right. I would imagine that Mike finds himself in the same situation with Tubular Bells, that every out of tune guitar, bum note and bad edit plays on his mind like a fly buzzing round the room, every time he hears it...and what he wants to do more than anything is let that fly out.

That's not to say that there aren't other factors involved - let's not forget that, for every three album contract that Mike's had from Warner, one of the three has always been a Tubular Bells album.

Actually, musicians recording their own work isn't unheard of - Joni Mitchell, for example, released an album of some of her past songs re-recorded with added orchestra (sound familiar? ;)), while other musicians have been involved with more slavish recreations (Jack Bruce re-recording Cream songs comes to mind, and I'm sure there are better examples, though they escape me at present).

five albums i put into the "commited artist" basket: "TB, HR, OM, INC, AMA" - the rest are experimentations with studio and computer technology and/or style and sound. non of which can hold water.

I'd put Incantations into the experimentation bracket as well - it's an experiment with a particular series of notes, and they pervade everything. That's not to discount its worth, but to say that I don't feel that albums can be discounted as having worth simply because they're some form of experiment. It's true that some experiments work better than others though, but what's successful and what isn't may depend on the eye or ear of the beholder (Mike, for example, went on record saying that most of Incantations is rubbish, a point which many don't agree with...).

And by the way - I communicate feelings and thoughts through the media of speech and writing quite regularly, does that make me an artist?  :p
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2003, 13:56

Liron. Just to take issue on a few points there because I think you're getting lost in your own cyncism to a degree chap.
Firstly you argue about your apreciation of Mike as an artist and then go on to say you don't give a shit about what went on in his childhood etc. Surely to fully apreciate a work of art you have to know a bit about it's background and in the case of Mike it's important to know what sort of personal world and background he gets his emotional energy from. To 'not give a shit' about Mike's emotional background is surely missing the point I would say. How can you possibly say it's 'rediculous' to take this into consideration when judging Mike's work. If you truely believe this then I think you yourself should really reevaluate how you look at art, sometimes its all about emotion and Mike's obviously an emotional man.

You say most of Mike's albums are 'experimentations with studio and computer technology and/or style and sound' Yeah so whats wrong with that? That would describe all studio based musicians work wouldn't it? To say none of his albums outside of your chosen few don't hold water is being a bit on the cruel side. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of his recent output but even so there's still hints at past glory.

Also I don't really agree with you completely about MVR. I've got Peter Gabriels Xplora 1 and Eve and I've seen Princes CD ROM and lots of others and none of them are anything like MVR to my mind. The actual concept behind how MVR works is I think really stong, true the graphics are generaly crap but as sort of first step it's a brave one and he could certainaly go further down this route. You're right in saying it doesn't have any depth but then again as sheer escapisim does it need it? Personaly I generaly hate computer games but MVR is quite different and if it were done on a broader canvas with high end graphics I think he could make both a commercial and artistic success out of it.

My last word on the new TB is this. I don't think for a second he's doing it for the money or to get his name in the papers he's doing it because he wasn't satisfied with the original and as it's 30th aniversary time he thought lets re-do it properly. All I'm saying is A) Haven't we been here before with TB2 B) It won't win over any detractors who say you can't do anything other than TB albums C) To give it another analogy I would say you don't just repaint the Mona Lisa because some of the brush strokes weren't right and the mood on her face was wrong. People have come to love it the way it is and for what it is and you just don't mess about with that. If you the artist aren't satisfied with a finished piece then you move on and do another better piece (arguably what Ommadawn is in this analogy) You don't spend the rest of your artistic career endlessly repainting the same picture with different colours. Do you get my drift? Thats the main reason I'm not a fan of TB2 or TB3.
Profile PM 
95 replies since Feb. 10 2003, 13:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net