Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells sample used in Chimpan A's song< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 13 2006, 21:46

I think you have to judge for yourself which each new cover or sample that you hear whether or not the artist has used this piece out of respect for the original artist or not. In my opinion imitation is the highest form of flattery and I personally love to hear any different versions of music that I really like. Some I love and some I hate but I am always keen to hear them. I think Mike also likes to be copied as long as it is acknowledged. I suppose there is a chance that any real bad cover of something could do damage to the original but only if the original had already copped flak for whatever reason anyway, as TB has, but I think the opportunity for a piece of music to be introduced to a new audience is worth any risk. There would be listeners out there who hear a cover and are inspired to track down the original if they have never heard it before, and find that they like the original even more. I was introduced to Sias astounding song 'Breathe Me' ( as heard on the closing minutes of the final episode of '6 Feet Under' ) through a remix by a group called 4 Tet and I love both versions but prefer the original. Also LOVE the remix of Cold Plays 'Clocks', even better than the original, but I believe that is done by themselves.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2006, 03:32

Ah yes, Four Tet is particulaly good. I would love to hear him remixing an Oldfield track. You should check out 'Spirit Fingers' on his album 'Rounds'. I understand he makes his tracks from samples he downloads from the internet.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
21 replies since July 10 2006, 22:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net