Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells on Super Audio Compact Disc< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 19 2000, 01:31

'Tubular Bells' will be the first Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) released by Virgin. The DVD will be released on Feb 5 and contain 3 layers: an ordinary stereo mix, an SACD stereo mix, and a multichannel mix containing additional music to the stereo mixes. Article and Simon Heyworth's interview at Widescreen Review and article at Virgin/Eden.
(Thanks, Hifiguru)
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 20 2000, 16:12

My question is: How does Mike feel about having Virgin release this? I find it a bit odd that the article doesn't quote him at all--just the guy from Virgin.

Won't this line Mr. B's pockets a bit more? How does that sit with Oldfield?
Profile PM WEB 
MrShame Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2001, 14:08

Richard Brandson has nothing to do with Virgin Music anymore. He sold it to EMI a few years ago. But I think you're right...you can keep buying Mike's albums over and over again on HDCD and SACD. I own e.g. Tubular Bells 5 times [Almost 6].

1. The original 1973 version
2. The 25th ann. version
3. The HDCD version
4. The Elements Box version
5. The Boxed version
[6. SACD version in februari]

and of course...
5. The Orchestral Tubular Bells

I think TB is one off the best records ever made but the music industry is making a cash cow from it. The 25th ann. version sounds great. What is the reason to bring it out on HDCD and again on SACD???

Ciao, Jeroen
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2001, 17:59

being 'up to date' and other such things has a lot to do with it. Witness the quadrophonic versions eagerly created in the 70s, only for the formats to flop a few years later.

The HDCD version is obviously partly there because of standardisation - they want the whole series of Mike's albums in the same packaging, etc. The HDCD thing is partly a marketing gimmick - not everyone even knows what it does and the equipment to play it isn't too widely available really (a look in a local hifi shop found absolutely no HDCD compatible players at all). Those people with the equipment may notice the extra quality from the 20 bit HDCD format, or they may not...Still, the 25th anniversary one was a limited edition, so it did make sense releasing it again, and as the technology was there, it was probably worth using it...

But this SACD...there is again a point, in that you'll be getting the quadrophonic mix. I assume this is the Phil Newell mix found on Boxed - I wonder how many fans will be happy about that...Whether there will be a noticable difference in quality on domestic equipment is hard to say - it may well not be really.

The real point is money, of course - making a cash cow from it, as MrShame says...Why release it once when you can release it 6 times (or more, if you count LP, both stereo and quad, CD, Cassette and 8 track versions separately)? wink

Mike's opinion? That doesn't matter...take a look at the details of Tubular Bells and you will find that it is published by, and the copyright of, Virgin records...Unfortunately, they own it and not Mike, so they can do what they like with it...
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 15:33

The SACD version of Tubular bells should be absolutely amazing. It should blow away the HDCD version. Why? Because it is being remastered onto a special DVD not CD. Being a bit of an Audiophile, I would love to have this version. The SACD's out now apperantly sound perfect. But really, who's going to blow ~$6000 US for a player that only has ~20 albums to it's name (not to mention speakers, etc.)? Plus, TB is the only album I like so far for the SACD player anyway. This is another Sony market grab. Remember BETA video tapes?

The HDCD is (I found) a marked improvement over the first CD version. I don't have an HDCD player, but those that do say there is virtually no difference between a good CD (mid 1990's and beyond) and a HDCD version.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2001, 18:26

They have the potential to be somewhere in between a DVD and a CD, I believe (although we should't call them DVDs - the DVD Audio people will get very upset wink). There's the possibility of having a layer on the disc that lets them play in a standard CD playeer as well (although sounding like a standard CD as well).
But it certainly could sound fantastic. That's to the people who are up to listening to it, at least.

A large number of people out there can't even tell the difference between mono and stereo, however...what will these people make of all these new formats that seem springing up all over the place ("Will it play my old records?")?
Profile PM 
5 replies since Jan. 05 2001, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net