Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Tubular Bells II / III / Millennium / 2003 DVD box< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 16 2003, 17:58

According to blackstar.co.uk, Warner will release a Tubular Bells II / Tubular Bells III / The Millennium Bell / Tubular Bells 2003 audio DVD box set on Oct 13 in UK.

[Updt Aug 26] A press release confirms the release of a DVD-A for Oct 13 in UK. No mention of a DVD box set.

[Updt] Nov 03. Nov 10 for the box set.
[Updt] Dec 01. Nov 24 for the box set.
[Updt] Jan 2004 for the box set.

Dont' worry, we'll keep you updated... ;-)
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 14:03

Not good news.
Nothing new to ad to our collection.

This is the proof.
Warner is milking the cow once more.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 14:40

yes nothing new...

if it could be live versions or something....

yea milking cow once more...heheh what a nice way to say it ;) congrats jael :D

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 14:59

It looks like its not the albums that comes with it but the live concerts.

I put the Berlin concert on CD and it just barely fit and that was after I chopped small pieces out of the files to squeeze them all together.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 15:55

They will do anything to milk money out of us won't they? Sorry to be so cynical yet again but presumably Mike gives the go ahead for these things at one level or another you'd think that he'd know fine well it'll only be us fans who fork out for this tosh and decide to include something special for us. It pisses me off just slightly that he wetted our appetite with talk of releasing the original TB premier from 73 and then not thus far bothering to do so. Why do I feel so peeved with Mike these day's??????????

Vote with your feet, don't buy it.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2003, 17:13

Please note that it would be a DVD pack with the footage of the previous DVD published, and the new TB2003 DVD audio, not the normal audio CD
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 07:43

yup, as far as I understood it, the package will contain the following:

(1) TBII - Live at Edinburgh Castle DVD VIDEO
(2) TBIII - Live at Horseguards DVD VIDEO
(3) Millenium Bell - Live in Berlin DVD VIDOE
(4) TB2003 - Surround Version - DVD Audio

Unfortunately the only thing I don't already have is the TB2003 Surround version but I'm NOT going to buy a big boxed set like this just to hear it in 5.1 surround. I'd be happy to buy it individually but no way am I going to buy the other DVDs AGAIN!

What the hell are Warner and Mike playing at???? I can only think that they really don't have any brains in the marketing department!

Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 09:41

I´d like to think that TB2003 DVD audio will be avalaible separately...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 10:08

So I take it people aren't excited about this opportunity to enjoy their favourite Mike Oldfield video performances a second time with new and updated...er...packaging.

The best thing about the set is that the TB2003 DVD-A comes with excerpts from the Tubular Bells II and III concerts, so you get even more added value as you can see concert footage which you haven't seen...um...since you last watched the TBII/III DVD.

A set including the QEH premiere of Tubular Bells would have been far more interesting. I believe The Orchestral Tubular Bells, with Steve Hillage, was also broadcast on TV - perhaps there's a tape of that kicking around somewhere. There's the Second House performance as well (already partly released on Elements). They could have bought the rights to The Essential Mike Oldfield...
There are really quite a lot of related things which they could have dug out and put on there, but instead it goes down the easy route...

Needless to say, I won't be buying this set (that's assuming it's for real...) and I'll have to think hard about where my loyalties lie before buying any separately available DVD-A.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 11:26

A positive thing about it would be to have a Region 1 and NTSC version of it, for North American people.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 12:28

Olivier... if that isn't just wishful thinking - I don't know what is!  The day they ACTUALLY release something of that magnitude in the United States is the day that hell will freeze over - Bush will get his ass kicked HARD out of office - this bloody war will go away - and Iraq will no longer hate America!  And from the general world-wide concenses - this is NOT likely to happen anytime soon, if ever! ;)

Still one can dream - LOL

Christopher
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2003, 16:18

What I can't for the life of me get my head round is why Mike is so spectacularly bad at completely misjudging whats going on around him by being so utterly ignorant. It also really pisses me off that he willingly gives his fans a bad deal. For those fans who wish to dispute this point I would point them in the direction of that latest Spanish interview where he somewhat underlined the fact that he takes and makes all the creative decisions regarding his releases. Why then is he so keen to milk us of our hard earned money? Greed presumably. Why can't he do things for us fans who, let us not forget, put him where he is today. Remember this is not only his 30th aniversary of making music (and much apreciated it is too, good and bad) but it's our 30th aniversary of buying it.
How much effort would it take, financial and otherwise, to buy the rights to the Essential MO video and include it on the DVD for us to enjoy? Because this is where I really loose my understanding of this situation. If Mike took the decision to buy the rights and include that live concert in the DVD package I can guarantee you he would sell tons more copies and therefore make more money and satisfy that greedy part of his personality which I'm affraid obviously exists. We're happy, we've got a fantastic piece of rare and brilliant concert footage, which I should add is better on every level than all three of those other concerts put together, and he's happy he's got our hard earned money. This is just one example, where's the original TB concert footage from 73 Mike? Where's the original TB demos you've talked about releasing on more than one occasion. I could go on and on in this way.

If he's so desperate to sell us a 'collectors item' box set then why doesn't he actualy make one that we'll rush out and buy. Thats what I can't get my head round. How selfish and stupid can he actualy be?

If I were Mike and I was genuinely concerned about my career I'd be very, very swiftly trying to patch up my relationship with my fans. If and when the finished Tube World comes out I'd giving it out free for a start. In the current climate I'm certainly not paying more money to him, sad though that is to admit, thats how srongly I feel right now.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2003, 14:33

Good points TOBY! ;)  Marketing doesn't seem to be Mike's strong point!  It is good that "AIH Concert" was released in the US and I see some effort from the release of TB2003 with the Exorcist:The Beginning sticker, but one gets baffled as to why Mike doesn't attempt to reinvent himself over here.  His music has been used and re-used in SOOO many club hits here in America... you can walk into virtually any club and hear "Moonlight Shadow", "To France" or "Tubular Bells".  Even FATC and LTBL have made there rounds - and 2BFree.  

My only guess - and this is just a guess - is that Mike, like he has said on more than one occasion, doesn't like music he likes peace and quiet these days.  Naturally he must not care anymore about how poor he comes across to his fans and to the general public.  It IS all about staying on top of things and the effort you put in - so my vote is that he has enough money he just doesn't give a shit anymore - atleast that is the impression he has given off over the years.  And as we are all aware, for those who've had any marketing experience, impression is EVERYTHING!

Christopher
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 04:31

I really don't care. If Mike wants to release a box-set of things I already have then that's his problem, and I won't even notice it. It's not worth getting upset about. Just don't buy it.

That being said, I would love to see some live stuff from Mike on DVD. How about Exposed? The Knebworth concert. The Now and Then tour? The Elements video would be good enough. How about all his music videos? There is heaps of stuff I would love to hear, but I can't. It's great that TBII/TBIII and Berlin 2000 was released, but I want more!

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 08:26

The only reason I'm getting so pissed off is that I don't like to see people getting ripped off, and we're very obviously getting ripped off. I'm not going to rush out and but this box set but I know a fair few 'completest' fans will and it's them I feel sorry for because its obvious that Mike and/or WEA are just taking the piss (yet again). Its also slightly depressing to see a man I once viewed in such high regard (and on a creative level I still do) treating his fans with a fair degree of aparant contempt, I'm sorry but there's no easy or polite way to put it.  

Like you Raven4x4x I would love to see a decent well put together box set filled with things that would actualy make you and I want to buy it. Why doesn't this happen? I just find the staggering level of incompetance that goes into a lot of areas of Mike's career, outside of him making music, mindblowing.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2003, 21:41

Like the lot of you I'd like to see something other than a BELL put on a media format and sold!  However, having seen most of Mike's video's, I can safely say that they are crap - imho of course.  Ok so a bone floating in space is really  entertaining and there is a spinning globe for Earth Moving with cartoon cut outs... really well done(NOTE THE SARCASM!!;).  Shadow on the Wall leaves one feeling as if a padded cell is in order with some slings and leather.  Five Miles Out is a cheap piece of rubbish.  Heaven's Open was decent enough.  2Bfree was ok.  TB2003 was interesting.  Moonlight Shadow was about as good as it got in the 80's.  However, I haven't seen PITD and Shine.  The best video all around would have to be LTBL and the BELL, for me.  

If you are getting the hint - I do believe that MIke's best route is a BELL concert or just a concert.  The most disappointing thing about his concerts is that he FAKES half of it!!  AIH Concert I rewatched lastnight and it made me ill how much bullshiting he did to make it.  It was a load of crap during SSTC and LIberation.  That girl didn't even know the words to Amazing Grace.  SAD SAD SAD!  And then Pepsi miming Oldfield's daughter - absolutely laughable!  And the Mastermind thing - ARGGGGGG.  Need I go on.  Then in the TB3 concert the drums were faked through most of it and the bells were obviously faked as Adrian wasn't even hitting the right note for the sound that came out of the Bell.  And Mike with those hanging paper-mache bells... lord how corny can you get??????  

I'm not really thrilled with anything that I've ever seen come out of Mike's workshop for live material - to contrived - like a Britney Spears concert!  Mike's best creativity I believe comes from music itself.  He hasn't a clue about marketing - making a video - or a live event.  

Ranting about nothing

Christopher
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 04:23

Like I said The Essential Mike Oldfield video from Knebworth is better than all those recent TB concerts for exactly the reasons you give above Christopher, ITS LIVE. Though to be fair there have been some fantastic LIVE performances in recent years to, I'm thinking Orabidoo from the 93 tour and most of the Guitars material from the 99 tour is well worth a listen, way better than the album versions.

We want to hear/see it Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2003, 17:43

i'd love to have the knebworth concert in dvd, his best live imho. the mood in the festival was great and his playing, brilliant. he's so focussed and giving the best of him. it's a pity that concert is dying in the old vhs. i'm really frightened any time i review it cause i think it could be the last and the quality of the tape's sound is every time a bit worse.
i think the title for this live is the best choice they could do, not only  because he played tubular bells and ommadawn...

there are some moments in which i miss "that", that shy and troubled artist who seemed to live inside the music. now things are different and i'm not going to judge, i'm not saying bad or better, but very different. that's why these days i've come back a lot to his first works, i'm really hooked again with crises.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Mlokie Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2003, 19:48

Maria, maybe I have some good news for you. The Essential was not only released on VHS, it was also on laserdisc (the quality is something like DVD). When I got it I decided to make a digital copy of it and then burn myself a DVD. It's not yet finished, but I can let you know when it will be, if you like..
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2003, 18:14

thank u mlokie!! u're very kind. yes, i want it, just tell me when and where i have to pick it up and i'll be there :D

ps. oh, and i promise it will be just for my pleasure :p

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
23 replies since Aug. 16 2003, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net